Sudden Loss Of Abc And Channel 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jackytlee

jackytlee

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

I am at Maribyrnong, and since mid May suddenly I have lost all ABC and 10 channels.

We moved to this house in 2012 and although the signal strength of ABC and 10 were always weaker than the others (maybe 30~40 with no bit error level according to the Samsung tv, while all other channels 7, 9, SBS were always above 90), they were watchable, occasional pixelation and sound issues when the weather was bad, but overall there were no issues with either 10 or ABC apart from relatively weaker signal.

From about 2 weeks ago, suddenly the pixelation became a lot worse on all ABC channels, as well as serious distorted sound. At this point, channel 10 was still watchable although more pixelation than usual. I checked the signal strength at this point, which showed that the signal strength for both ABC and 10 had reduced to 10~20, but with ABC the bit error level was flutuating heavily from nothing to 300ish, while with channel 10 the bit error level was far less (0~100). All other channels were still fine, 90+ signal easily.

At that time I thought it was just the weather again, but over the next few days the problem got a lot worse. ABC and 10 both went completely offline, and although the signal strength remained the same at 10~20, the bit error level had increased to up to 2000 (max). Rescanned all the channels as well which didnt help.

I have read a couple threads and some people had suggested that having issues with ABC and 10 is a typical symptom of using an antenna not designed for channel 11 and 12.

My question is could this be the case even though ABC and 10 used to work? (at lower signal strength?)

31/5
Something interesting just happened - while I was typing up it started bucketing - and both signal strength of ABC and channel 10 improved significantly - channel 10 has now got a strength of 30 with no error, while ABC's strength improved and error reduced to ~500, down from 2000. Channel 10 is watchable again with nearly no pixelation and ABC at least is giving some sound and sometimes distorted images.

1/6
Channel 10 is gone again, back to strength of 10 with ~1000 error level.

#2 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

The ABC and Ch 10 signals are too low in strength for reliable reception, you have just been lucky with what  you have been watching up until now.

If the antenna is an older type with a saddle and clamp cable connection it may be the issue as you suggested and not designed for the new frequencies of the Digital channels.

It is not unusual for one or two channels to be weaker than the others for a given spot in some areas, thats why we use Digital Signal meters to measure the strength and Quality of the signals to find  an antenna location where they are all in the ball park.

If your antenna has an "F" connector screw on cable connection shifting it to a better spot may fix the issue, however you really need a meter to find out what is going on. You may need "THE MAN".Check the fly lead and wall socket connections behind the plate for poor or loose connections that may save the day if either are crook.

Cheere Tazzy

#3 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,986 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

Does your antenna look like this one: http://www.oo5.com/K...280_A-2-sml.jpg

#4 jackytlee

jackytlee

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

Does your antenna look like this one: http://www.oo5.com/K...280_A-2-sml.jpg

yes - it looks very similar to that

#5 nath85

nath85

AV Forum Member

• 37 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

I have the same antenna and also noticing ABC and Channel 10 in the last month have been fluctuating in signal quality in the inner western suburbs (I'm in Footscray).

Maybe transmitter works (reduced power)?? The older antennas and similar location in the inner-west can't be a coincidence either so I suspect these older antennas may cause the issue too.

#6 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,883 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

We moved to this house in 2012 and although the signal strength of ABC and 10 were always weaker than the others (maybe 30~40 with no bit error level according to the Samsung tv, while all other channels 7, 9, SBS were always above 90), they were watchable, occasional pixelation and sound issues when the weather was bad, but overall there were no issues with either 10 or ABC apart from relatively weaker signal.

In my experience I would expect to see a signal strength on a Samsung of 85 or higher, with no bit error level.

The levels you are getting are way too low and need to be looked at.

I would suggest getting the antenna installation assessed by someone competent in this area.

#7 jackytlee

jackytlee

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

I have the same antenna and also noticing ABC and Channel 10 in the last month have been fluctuating in signal quality in the inner western suburbs (I'm in Footscray).

Maybe transmitter works (reduced power)?? The older antennas and similar location in the inner-west can't be a coincidence either so I suspect these older antennas may cause the issue too.

Interesting to see someone else having the same issue in my area.

Originally I thought it was something on the transmission and hoped it would eventually recover - I remember having similar issues with ABC from time to time and it used to recover after a few days.

It has been a few weeks now since so I am guessing this time whatever the cause/change is, its permanent, and I guess the only solution is to get a reputable professional to look at it once and for all.

#8 mixo

mixo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

yep same here, channel 2 and 10 causing issues with my HTPC recording when it never did.

Is it a winter thing?

Mixo

#9 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,856 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

Jackyflee

Your antenna most of your antenna is now not used. The long elements were designed for channel 2 analog which is no longer on air, the very short elements are now only used for C31 which will go off the air at the end of the year, so very little of your antenna is actually being used. The older antennas of that design were never designed to receive transmission channels 11 and 12, which are used by channel 10 digital and ABC digital.

You need to get an antenna installer with a digital field strength meter to install a band 3 only antenna, using RG6 cable into the house and your problems will disappear. A band 3 only antenna looks like http://www.hillsante...15&ProductID=52 Note that all the elements are approximately the same length meaning that they are all used to receive 7, SBS, 9, 10 and the ABC.

Alanh

#10 mixo

mixo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

yes both antennas I have suffer the same problem, well one hates channel 2 and the other hates channel 10 and they have amplifiers on them as well!

Will go and get one of those band 6 antennas and put it up .

Mixo

#11 jackytlee

jackytlee

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone, I will start looking for an installer right away. Any recommendations?

Edited by jackytlee, 05 June 2015 - 02:38 PM.