• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rollobot

rollobot

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:47 PM

I was looking at the back of the Blu-Ray of the Jean Claude Van Damme movie Cyborg and noticed that it was 1080i rather than 1080p. Why would it be the former and not the latter and is there any appreciable difference between the two on Blu-ray?

#2 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,966 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Probably a misprint.

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/26202/ shows 1080p.

#3 Cevolution

Cevolution

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

The OP is obviously referring to the local disc, not the U.S disc. The local disc is indeed 1080i/50, which is not uncommon for releases from Umbrella Entertainment.

#4 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,864 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:10 PM

is there any appreciable difference between the two on Blu-ray?

Nope ; your display will deinterlace it to progressive . Most all do a good job ..

#5 rollobot

rollobot

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Why would Umbrella go with 1080i over 1080p?

Memo to Umbrella: Your online store is missing Suspiria and the theatrical cut of Deep Red. Please correct.

#6 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,539 posts

Posted Today, 02:21 AM

Rollobot, I think you'll find your Blu-ray plays a little fast, the way PAL DVDs of feature films typically do.

Explanation

I checked the advertised running time for different distribution formats of the movie:

I would say the region B version is a speed up of the 24fps film version to 25fps.* Because the Blu-ray standard lacks 25p, it is necessary to encode as 50i (not true interlaced, but progressive segmented frame) which on playback is reconstituted to 25p, without loss, by a modern high definition display.

Unfortunately, the movie will play 4% fast, and at a 4% higher pitch, than it originally would have played in theatres or would play with the standard 24p Blu-ray released for region A. In other words, the region B Blu-ray exhibits what with a DVD would be called PAL speedup.  A lot of people wouldn't notice this other than in an A B comparison (no pun intended). [I happen to be quite sensitive to this effect and would avoid such a disc if possible.]

I see that www.blu-ray.com lists a region-free version. This shows a run-time of 86 minutes and would be at 24p (or 23.976p, to be technically precise):  http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/26202/

However, if you click on the buy button you get taken to amazon.com which shows slightly different languages for the subtitling and a region code of A! So whether a region-free Blu-ray version is actually available I don't know.

_________

* 86min  x 23.976fps /25.000 fps =  82.477 min, which is appropximately 82 or 83 minutes.

Edited by MLXXX, Today, 02:22 AM.

#7 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,719 posts

Posted Today, 05:54 AM

and then besides all the technical ra ra, to answer the OP's original question, some movies are released in 1080i and you would be lucky to spot the difference.

Take a chill pill boys, not everything needs to be rocket science..............

#8 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,836 posts

Posted Today, 08:40 AM

In this case, it's most likely that they've just used an upscaled version of the DVD master for the region B blu-ray.