10 replies to this topic

#1 digitaladvisor

digitaladvisor

AV Forums Member

• 4,015 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:14 PM

Release blurb:

InstantON

InterVideo's innovative technology is the first to deliver instant-on capabilities purely with software.

Attendees will have a chance to take a look at an assortment of over a dozen desktop PC and notebooks that will integrate InstantON technology.

In addition, select machines will demonstrate Direct Recording and DVB-T features. InterVideo InstantON breaks the barriers to PC and CE convergence by converting personal computers into consumer electronic solutions.

Major PC brands such as Fujitsu-Siemens, Hitachi , HP, LG Electronics, NEC, Sharp, Sony and many others are now bundling InterVideo InstantON.

DA

#2 ajm

ajm

AV Forums Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:24 PM

Not eaxctly new news. Some info on the DVB-T side would be useful.

#3 digitaladvisor

digitaladvisor

AV Forums Member

• 4,015 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

The old article you referenced was an intent - there many "intent articles" on the internet. With the poliferation of BDA compliant drivers this is finally a reality with a public showoff release "touch and feel".

(Regarding Computex Show Grand Hyatt @ Taipei on the following dates: May 31st to June 4th 2005)

Unless you use InterVideo products you would know there present weaknesses (very strong analogue support at present)

DA

#4 HyperReality

HyperReality

AV Forums Member

• 1,584 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

With the poliferation of BDA compliant drivers this is finally a reality with a public showoff release "touch and feel".

Sorry to burst your bubble, but based on the New Scientist article, InstantOn is based on Linux, and therefore BDA is completely irrelevant to whether or not a particular device will be supported. :blink:

Given the requirement to fit the entire linux kernel + applications into a small flash memory, it wouldnt surprise me if the list of supported devices is very small or limited only to specific devices integrated into the laptop or motherboard or sold by the manufacturer as add-ons (which is probably what "select machines" means in your quote). Then again, maybe certain manufacturers will lobby Intervideo for the appropriate drivers to be included in the linux kernel that is used. Time will tell.

#5 Gizmomelb

Gizmomelb

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

hmm,

I need to find some time and check out one of the latest downloads I've had from Avermedia and Intervideo... it was around 100Megs in size.

#6 ajm

ajm

AV Forums Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

As you mention HyperReality, the InstantOn OS is designed for specific white box hardware vendors and is designed to be sold as part of a PC package. Unfortunately this makes it kind of useless for a great majority of us. Nice idea though.

#7 Gizmomelb

Gizmomelb

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

a quick google found a number of sites mentioning KnoppMyth booting and running on USB keydrives as low as 32MB.

New motherboards having 32MB (or more) of flash memory built-in could be used for precisely this function. 32MB of flashram isn't exactly that expensive now, so it seems like a good new selling point for MB manufacturers to include.

#8 digitaladvisor

digitaladvisor

AV Forums Member

• 4,015 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

With the poliferation of BDA compliant drivers this is finally a reality with a public showoff release "touch and feel".

Sorry to burst your bubble, but based on the New Scientist article, InstantOn is based on Linux, and therefore BDA is completely irrelevant to whether or not a particular device will be supported. :blink:

Given the requirement to fit the entire linux kernel + applications into a small flash memory, it wouldnt surprise me if the list of supported devices is very small or limited only to specific devices integrated into the laptop or motherboard or sold by the manufacturer as add-ons (which is probably what "select machines" means in your quote). Then again, maybe certain manufacturers will lobby Intervideo for the appropriate drivers to be included in the linux kernel that is used. Time will tell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope! What I intended to say was not there in context.

Should have been better worded:

With the poliferation of BDA compliant drivers this is finally a reality [competition "heat up and head to head" with MCE) with a public showoff release "touch and feel" [by interVideo].

I think you are correct - lobbying to free the application [could even be Windows lobby as alternative MCE poliferation ]. Just like MCE was no longer linked to specific hardware configurations [2004].

Regards

DA

#9 ajm

ajm

AV Forums Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

It's still just a 'good idea' at the moment. It remains to be seen whether it actually works.

Even then, given the speed with which these things move into working retail samples and the companies own vision for their software, forgive me if I don't get too excited just yet.

#10 Gizmomelb

Gizmomelb

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

I haven't tried it, but there is a linux distro named 'flonix' which boots/runs from a 64MB USB drive and lists support for DVB-T.

#11 dodo

dodo

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:37 PM

Is all of this anything to do with LinuxBIOS?

http://www.linuxbios...x.php/Main_Page