• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty Juggler

Rusty Juggler

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

So, I've got my Fetch TV box now from Optus and so far so good.

I'd taken the $90/month offer to upgrade my existing Optus (cable) Broadband, including the 'up to 6 Moths Netflix on Us'.

I'm intrigued by the 'up to...' as this could effectively mean anything.

When accessing the Netflix app (via the Fetch box) I get two options: 'sign in' or 'take our 1 month free offer' (or words to that effect) which then directs me to setting up a Netflix account. Does anyone know if the latter is in fact the Optus 'up to 6 months' offer or is it entirely separate?

I'm also a bit cautious with taking up the 'offer' just in case it locks me in to a paid subscription after the free offer expires.

Anyone?

Cheers

Rusty Juggler

Edit:typo in topic title

Edited by Rusty Juggler, 14 May 2015 - 01:08 PM.

#2 mixo

mixo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

lucky you, I have been waiting since middle of dec 2014 for mine.

mixo

#3 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 12,031 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

The one month is free (you will need to provide credit card details.) 

I would suggest you create your new Netflix account on a PC (So take the 1 month free option). Much easier to set up. Then you just punch in your username and password into fetch and you are away. You'll only ever have one Netflix account regardless of what offers or options you use with it.

Its very easy to manage your fetch account online. A big option to suspend your account is readily available. You will be billed the next month ($12) if you don't exit before 30 days but its a month to month contract so the worst you'll be is $12 down.

As a bonus you can exit your account as soon as you set it up. Netflix will confirm you will not be billed anymore but you will still have access to any remaining days (i.e. the 30 days)

As for the 6 months offer, You'll have a voucher that will add 6 months to your current account (its related to Netflix, not Optus). Note Optus do say:

Make sure you claim your voucher for a code within 14 days, or they'll no longer be available. All the voucher codes will expire at midday on September 30, 2015

So it seems you can use the voucher (within 14 days) to get a Netflix code. You can punch in the code to Netflix account anytime up to Sept 30.

So sign up on the free 30 day account and just add in this 6 months to your existing trial account account (Seven months :))

BTW Optus says 'up to' because different customers get different amounts of Netflix. Prepaid phone customers will get only 3 months for example.

Unless you want to watch Netflix simultaneously on 4 devices, spend the next six months finding a mate who will go halves with you in Netflix. Netflix make it very easy to setup multiple profiles (one for you and one for the kids for example.) So you set up a profile for you and a mate and when you log in to FetchTV you just select your profile and you're away.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 14 May 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#4 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 12,031 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

lucky you, I have been waiting since middle of dec 2014 for mine.

mixo

How so? There was (is) definitely a backlog for the past few months, but its presumably first in first served (i.e. they're not giving customers that signed up last month a PVR before they get one to you). I joined 3 months back and got a unit after a couple of weeks.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 14 May 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#5 mixo

mixo

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Looks like i have to ring them again....

#6 Rusty Juggler

Rusty Juggler

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

Seems I was lucky then, I signed up and received the box within a week...

I haven't seen a Netflix voucher though, I may have another look in the box.

#7 Rusty Juggler

Rusty Juggler

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Got the Netflix voucher in the mail yesterday, all worked.

They don't make it easy though, you have to actually type quite a long url that also contains your token ID, this then gets you to an Optus web page that generates your code. It also provides a link to the Netflix web site where you then have to enter the code to redeem your offer.

I have a suspicion that they make it dificult enough so a proportion of customers can't be bothered or do it wrong and give up.

It may just be the cynic in me, but it's a bit like the business model of gift vouchers, I read somewhere that up to 50% (or there about) of Bunnings, DJ's etc. gift vouchers are never redeemed..

Rusty Juggler

#8 mwd

mwd

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

You should try the Acer cashback offers for computers you need so much effort to get the what they require takes more effort than the 50 dollar cashback is worth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Optus TV, Fetch TV, Netflix