Av Out From Dtv

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 itforsenior

itforsenior

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

TCL L32B2600 , handbook says video out socket provides composite video connection. I am using a 4 contact 3.5mm plug to 3 RCA but my VCR is not getting it.  Any comment please?

#2 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,521 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

Are you sure it's a video out socket you're plugging into on your TV? A 3.5mm socket on a TV may well be for audio out (line level audio, or for headphones).

I couldn't see a relevant user manual on the manufacturer's website, but a brochure for your TV does not refer to any capacity to send video out. From http://www.tclelectr...cs/141_doc1.pdf :-

TERMINALS:
AV Input (shared with Component Input)
HDMI Input x 2
SPDIF Output
USB 2.0
VGA
Component Input

#3 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

That connector sound like my Video and photo camera connectors.

The RCA lead works this way:

Yellow = Video

White = left ch audio

Red = right ch audio.

These leads have a 3.5mm jack at the units end that will plug into the TV via that lead. It is a common connectors for movie and still cameras.

Only thing you could be doing wrong is not using yellow connector for video input on TV or the 3.5mm jack is not inserted fully. Try it again now - good luck :-)

#4 itforsenior

itforsenior

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for replies.  MLXXX, the output is labelled AV out, I do not have SPDIF output. The handbook is a little confusing, it describes this connection as 'AV audio + video mini sockets (output). The video out socket provides composite video connection'. This socket is yellow, perhaps it only provides the video signal?

WolfieBoy, my cable sounds like you describe, the jack has 3 connections + earth but see above. I want video OUTPUT from tv to VCR.

#5 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

And indeed, this appears to be correct.

65c191be-afa2-ebb4-afa9-f1763507f570-hig

So it would seem you have an issue with the adapter being used, your connection to the VCR, any cables in the mix, a menu setup on the TV, or a faulty TV.

#6 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,521 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

The video out socket provides composite video connection'. This socket is yellow, perhaps it only provides the video signal?

Yes, the yellow RCA[see note below] output socket on your TV would be for video only. I assume your VCR has RCA sockets for its video and audio inputs. If that is the case:

You would need one RCA to RCA cable* to connect to your VCR for the video; and two RCA to RCA cables for connecting the left and right audio to your VCR.** As you probably know, you can buy all three cables joined together as a single item (typically with white and red RCA plugs at both ends for the audio, and yellow RCA plugs at both ends for the video).  These sorts of cables used to be very common.

* Preferably video grade, though I have found today's audio grade cables usually work fine with composite video.
** VCRs are getting to be very old technololgy. You could expect your TV's built-in digital recording video capability (USB PVR function, normally used with a dedicated external hard drive) to be of significantly better quality.

Note:
It turns out that the connector for this particular model is not an RCA socket. See edit to my post #8 below.

Edited by MLXXX, 30 March 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,856 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

I am using a 4 contact 3.5mm plug to 3 RCA but my VCR is not getting it.  Any comment please?

That connector sound like my Video and photo camera connectors.

The RCA lead works this way:

Yellow = Video

White = left ch audio

Red = right ch audio.

Unfortunately, there's no standard pinout for the 3.5mm end of the cable. Which means that, if you've got the wrong cable, the colouring of the RCA end can be deceptive (or just plain unworkable).

e.g. if you designate the 3.5mm connection as "tip, ring1, ring2, sleeve" from the pointy-end back to the body, they can be:

1. 'Apple standard' - right audio, left audio, common gnd, video
  2. 'Microsoft standard' - left audio, right audio, common gnd, video
  3. Common on camcorders - left audio, video, common gnd, right audio
  4. Everybody else (plus at least some older Apple devices) - left, right, & video in any order on tip, ring1, and ring2; gnd on sleeve. For example, the old Apple clamshell iBooks are left on tip, right on ring1, video on ring2, common ground on sleeve.

If you ignore what the colours on the RCA end are supposed to designate, 1, 2, & 3 are interchangeable. Unfortunately the 4th isn't interchangeable with the other 3...

It'd be worth connecting the VCR's Video In to each RCA in turn. If you find one that works, then try connecting the audio to the other two. If you don't, it's possibly the 4th type - and you'll have to go digging for a suitable cable, or get one made / make one yourself.

Edited by Malich, 29 March 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#8 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,521 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

I have assumed that any 3.5mm socket on itforsenior's TV would be for headphones (not an output for stereo audio plus composite video, a common form of output socket these days with consumer video and still cameras).  And I have assumed his VCR uses an RCA socket for composite video in.

I see that other model TCL sets have what looks like an RCA video output (and what looks like an RCA SPDIF output next to the video output). It's awkward that this model, the TCL L32B2600, doesn't seem to have a detailed user's guide published on the net.

Edit: This afternoon I had a look at one of these TVs at a Videopro store. It's a small yellow socket, not RCA. Could be a 3.5mm socket designed to mate with a tip and two-ring plug. Also a distinct possibility it is merely a SPDIF out (intended to be used with a 3.5mm mono [or stereo] plug)! That could be checked by connecting to an amp with a coaxial SPDIF input. (I note again that this model TV is advertised as having SPDIF out. There is no mention of video out in website material I've seen for this model.)

Itforsenior, is your handbook for a range of models or specifically this model?

Edited by MLXXX, 29 March 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#9 itforsenior

itforsenior

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

Many thanks to all responders, esp MLXXX, I will work through these comments.

#10 clipper6

clipper6

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

The "AV out" label on TV is wrong, ie, there isn't one. TV's don't send an AV signal as an output. ( Only some do audio out- rare to find these days on newer models) New models carry digital audio out ( SPDIF) Think you wanted to get AV out to record??? This will never happen with your setup. You need a DTV/DVB recorder with a hard drive.

#11 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,521 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

TV's don't send an AV signal as an output.

Some of the previous TCL models have done so.

For example, see the bottom of page 5 of this pdf on the TCL website:
http://www.tclelectr...User Manual.pdf

AUDIO/VIDEO OUT sockets (output) at the back

These sockets can be used to connect a VCR to record programs. You must leave
the TV on the same channel you are recording. The VIDEO-OUT socket provides
composite video connection. (Note: these sockets are only used for AV or S-VIDEO ouput, but the S-Video output has no color).

But the OP's set is not advertised as having the above [limited] capability. Rather it is advertised as having USB PVR capability. Typically that means using a dedicated hard drive and only being to play back the recording using the TV that made the recording to the dedicated drive.

#12 clipper6

clipper6

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

as you say MLXXX very limited capability. Like one step forward and two steps back. The OP looks wealthy enough to buy some sort of dedicated digital recorder, why muck around with  the USB "PVR" part of the tv when a half decent twin tuner PVR gives so much control and flexibility ( if you know how to use full capabilties)