• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wapping

wapping

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

With STAN and the rest coming this year will you be changing?

What do you think it will do to foxtel?

Now that the BBC has come to fetch tv with ESPN will Foxtel ever let you choose what you want?

Will be interested in your views.

#2 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

I would be interested in the streaming services coming on if they offer current FTA programmes in HD and allow HD streaming of live events currently only available on our SD FTA. Having said that I still plan to keep my Foxtel but may adjust my package to get better value.

Edited by lizclinton, 15 January 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#3 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,452 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Foxtel has sport to save its spot to some extent but it better get more Android devices supported ?

cheers laurie

#4 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

I'm probably going to give Netflix a try. Their HD streaming looks better than Foxtels HD channels, Netflix primarily for their HD movie catalogue and catch up on some TV shows I've missed.

I plan to keep Foxtel for HD sports and HD Docos, so maybe just drop movies.

I won't move on Netflix until I see what the IQ3 will do for me though. However I'm thinking some of the possible functionality will most probably be crippled.

The IQ3 should be a centralised media server that distributes Foxtel and FTA TV via LAN (Ethernet and Wireless) along with local media content stored on a PC, Server or NAS and/or USB connected hard disc. It should support most IOS and Android device and DLNA devices to enable viewing at multiple TVs (IQ3 has 9 tuners). If they did that then everyone would want one and all would take at least the basic package and probably take more.

#5 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,835 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Now that the BBC has come to fetch tv with ESPN will Foxtel ever let you choose what you want?

I think its a bit of a fallacy to think Foxtel would be much cheaper if you could choose only the channels you want. 

Obviously if you're only interested in the obscure channels then yes you could potentially save. But most people want a mix of popular and unpopular and so reducing your options to a much smaller list of channels might only save a few $ off the subscription cost. And of course Foxtel still have all their distribution costs so its not really profitable for them to hook you up with a Foxtel Box if you're only going to buy $10 of their content.

Obviously the NBN removes most of the distribution costs, so new entrants are able to offer single show / channel subscriptions and just charge the amount needed to cover the cost of obtaining them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#6 BuffySlayer

BuffySlayer

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

I'm with HomerJ on this one. Will wait and see on functionality of IQ3, then see what Netflix, Stan and others offer. I could drop my Foxtel down to basic and sport, plus maybe one other and still have $50 or more to spend on the others.

#7 cinema mad

cinema mad

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

Not Expecting much of an improvement functionality wise from the IQ3 other than the obvious..

As noted Some of the Fox Installers have had them for personal use A while now so are the people to ask for first hand experience with the IQ3 ..  

Cheers...

Edited by cinema mad, 15 January 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#8 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:46 AM

I spoke to a Foxtel sales guy at Chadstone a couple weeks back and he said he was going on IQ3 training about now but refused to answer any questions about it (mind you he may not have known much at that point).

BTW. I was watching a bit of a Foxtel HD movie (on of the HD channels) and the PQ was pretty bad. They really do need to up their bit rates for Non-sport HD (and not at the expense of sport either as I've also seen a decline in EPL PQ on some games post November)

Edited by HomerJ, 16 January 2015 - 06:47 AM.

#9 cnrmlj

cnrmlj

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

I already have Netflix and Hulu US (along with Foxtel - On an old Platinum bundle through Telstra and it would cost me about the same now to downgrade Foxtel back to basic plus sport plus HD than I am paying now due to Telstras massive price increases for the bundles in the last couple of years) so can't see myself changing anytime soon.

Hulu gives me most of the latest FTA TV in the US in HD in a timely manner with some great ads thrown in. None of the local streamers will provide that. Hulu also has a good back catalogue of stuff.

Netflix gives me a great back catalogue of stuff plus their own shows like House of Cards and there are a couple of showings coming this year that look pretty good, most of it in HD and even the SD stuff looks much better than Foxtel or FTA SD.

I'm looking forward to the iQ3 if the pricing of $150 to upgrade and then same ongoing fees is true. Will try and get it as soon as possible.

Edited by cnrmlj, 16 January 2015 - 07:01 AM.