Photo

Audessy Xt32 - What's All The Fuss About?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Glen1

Glen1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 02:33 PM

I should probably have used the title, "Audessy XT32 - What's all the fuss about or am I doing it wrong?"

I recently replaced an Emotiva HT USP-1 pre amp with an Onkyo 818 HT receiver.  I set it all up and followed the Audessy measurement instructions and even broke out the camera tripod for the microphone. I was initially pretty impressed with the result, the extra detail in the sound over the Emo and even the Onkyo without Audessy on was striking. It didn't take me long to realise that the 'detail' I was hearing was a more forward mid and top end which quickly became tiresome.  Upon switching the Audessy off it intially sounded a bit flat but once I left it off for a while I found that I much preferred the non eq'd sound.

Question is, do others find that Audessy brightens things up a bit too much?  I assume that there's no way of getting into the Audessy curve settings and backing things off a bit?

Other than the Audessy issue I'm really liking the Onkyo 818, it is an improvement over the Emo although it does run a bit hot.

For info the rest of my system is:

Speakers: ATC SCM40 (v2) L and R

ATC C4C active centre

ATC SCM20SL rears

JL Fathom F113

AMPS:       Primare A32 for fronts

Primare A30.5 for the rears (two channels used of five)

I woudln't say my gear is bright sounding, certainly now when I use the two channel side of it.  ATC are designed to be revealing but certainly not bright.  A couple of years ago I had a Denon 2311 and from memory found the same thing with the simpler version of Audessy.

#2 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted Today, 02:56 PM

Do you have very stark walls or lots of glass in your listening room?

Maybe you can share a pic of the place?

#3 Glen1

Glen1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 03:42 PM

Mostly bare walls but not stark. It would be classified as lively rather than bright.

#4 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted Today, 03:53 PM

IMO, the Onkyo amp tends towards the bright side, and the bare walls don't help?

But I have also found that merely moving the mike up and down a tad makes a massive difference.

Plus, it should be clear of the backrest of your chair, or something soft, so that doesn't color the sound reception by the mike...

#5 Glen1

Glen1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 04:13 PM

I'll give that a try. It was at ear level but I'll drop it down a bit.
I find that without Audessy the onkyo isn't bright at all.

#6 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,643 posts

Posted Today, 04:26 PM

How many mike readings did you take?  Typically needs at least six.

#7 Glen1

Glen1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 04:33 PM

I did the six as required. I don;t hae six listening positions but I did move it around the general area.

I'll do another lot of measurements during the week but I will say that I am very impresed with the Onkyo. I'm only using it as a pre as I have separate amps and/or active speakers but I suspect even on its own it would be prettty good.

#8 Blonk

Blonk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted Today, 05:30 PM

Make sure none of the measurements are taken in the centre of the room. I used to do this as per instructions, but after talking to David from Wavetrain, and my own experiences, placing it here will measure all the nodes in the room, and in my case gave it an overly bright and fatiguing sound. By moving the mic a foot or so to either side made a massive difference.

Blonk

#9 Glen1

Glen1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted Today, 05:36 PM

That's intersting Blonk. I would have done most of the measurements from the centre of the room. I really only have two positions I would describe as listening and only one of those counts as it's where I sit.  I did three measurements across the plane where the seats are which is a distance of only about 1.5 metres, then three measurements a little forward of this which put them in the middle of the room.

I understand that the system would like to measure six positions but if I only have a limited area as the seating area is it necessary to do all six or would less information for the Audessy make for a more accurate assessment of the room?