1 reply to this topic

#1 tedfthis

tedfthis

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hello there

Can anyone help me please?

I have had the Samsung 50” Plasma Model: PS50B450B1D since March 2010. Over the past few days, Its starting to show a black line about 6" wide down the right hand side of the screen, in the black there are coloured lines running up and down it. I could have uploaded a photo here, but I dont know how.

I was wondering whether I would have much chance of getting it fixed under the "must be of merchantable quality" regulations, at Fair Trading. It was bought from The Good Guys.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, either on this Samsung 50" or a similar model. These things (Large TV's) shouldnt be throw away items after 4.5 years, should they? I am a pensioner, so every $ matters to me. If its fixable at a reasonable price, I'll get it repaired. I'm on the gold Coast in Australia.

Alternately, can you suggest a good reliable 50" Hi-Def Plasma TV, please. I DON'T want 3D or Smart TV, just a basically reliable 1920 x 1080 HD TV. I realise that every manufacturer has their share of troublesome models, so I am not so keep on getting another Samsung. But in the event that my problem, was a kind of one off and I was just unlucky, I would still consider buying another one. Screen size between 48-55" around the $1,000.00 mark, if possible please. I could squeeze a bit more, for something exceptional.

Thanks for any help or advice, especially if I can get someone to look at the photo I took. The fault is intermittent at the ment, but has happened for the last 2 days, so it isnt going to get any better.

#2 mwd

mwd

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 AM

I think it might be pushing things to claim 'merchantable quality' after four and a half years of use. Most TVs these days only come with one year warranty unless you spend extra on an extended warranty scheme. They don't build them like they used to a good old Sony CRT tv would run for twenty years or more no problem. I agree you would expect a big ticket item like a TV should last longer than just four years. My pioneer Kuro which came with five year warranty quit once under warranty and is now on its way out after 7 years with only the upper 40% of the screen working and like you I am strapped for cash to replace it.

Whether your set is worth repairing is debatable depends how much they charge to look at it and how available spares are.

BTW I bought a nice stainless steel electric kettle that ran for about 5 years then died so I bought a $7.50 plastic kettle from KMart to replace it. They come with one year warranty and I am on my second, they last about 18 months but at that price you cannot complain.