What Media Player/pvr/tuner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davo69

Davo69

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

I am looking for a media player with inbuilt hard dirve that I can store and watch my movies from (must be able to play all the common formats, AVI, MKV, MP4,......etc)  but also contain multiple tuners for watching and recording free to air TV.

Looking for recommendations if anyone can help.

Cheers

#2 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,764 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Even today few machines do both FTA and downloaded content well. You can grab a $100 WD media box live that does all the media stuff brilliantly. Grab a PVR for the FTA stuff and you have the best of both worlds. 

Possibly your best option if you want one box is a Beyonwiz T3 - grab the diskless $500 option and put in the drives you want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#3 gillmaverick

gillmaverick

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

I have a MED1000X3D media player and have installed WD Green 3TB disc in it. All TV Series and movies are stored in it . It has been flawless and plays everything I throw at it . Cheers

#4 Davo69

Davo69

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

can you store and watch movies from the internal drive on the Beyonwiz T3 or is the hard drive only for recording TV?

I do not want to have to use an external hard drive to do this.

Cheers

#5 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

Another option , depending on your initial complexity level your comfortable with is a Synology DSplay 214 and usb tuner plugin.

This would do all you ask, just the initial setup wouldn't be quite so plug and play as say a beyonwiz.

While they are certainly refined, depending on your tv (samsung smart tvs work really well) the user experience can be a bit of a learning curve. Once setup though, you may be surprised at just how good it is, especially if streaming is your thing.

Ultimately, a jack of all trades is never going to be as good as dedicated components due to the need spread control over multiple funtions

#6 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,764 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

can you store and watch movies from the internal drive on the Beyonwiz T3 or is the hard drive only for recording TV?

I do not want to have to use an external hard drive to do this.

Cheers

You can plug in an external USB drive and play any files from there. Makes it easy to copy files from a PC to the PVR.

Here's a few models that you can look at

Regards

Peter Gillespie