• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#26 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

Hi all

New to this forum, I currently live in the UK and may be coming over to wonderful Perth to live there. I have a Panasonic 42 inch High Definition Plasma IDTV, will I be able to receive the digital broadcasts on this tv in Australia. I ask this because ordinary UK CRTVs using the Australian analogue signal do not work.

Any advice much appreciated

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I reckon so... you guys use PAL for analogue yeah? All 50HZ based systems for HD here is AUS, as I think it is there... your screen should work, but maybe not your current STB, you'd probably have to get a DVB compliant STB. If your screen can display 576i/p/720p/1080i @ 50HZ then you should be sweet.

JSmith :ph34r:

#27 Rodders 123

Rodders 123

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

Well, I reckon so... you guys use PAL for analogue yeah? All 50HZ based systems for HD here is AUS, as I think it is there... your screen should work, but maybe not your current STB, you'd probably have to get a DVB compliant STB. If your screen can display 576i/p/720p/1080i @ 50HZ then you should be sweet.

JSmith  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that info

#28 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,032 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for that info

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries :blink: Maybe post a main topic about this issue is this forum, so that you/we get more responses about the issue. This is just a permanent posting for connection types.

#29 murrayt

murrayt

AV Forum Member

• 3,088 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

Rodders 123

Yes the Analog PAL system in the UK is slightly different to here in Oz. From memory the sound subcarrier is at a different offset to the channel frequency.

You get the oicture, but no sound on a CRTV

Assuming the Plasma doesn't have an inbuilt digital tuner, then your setop box may work assuming it can handle the 7Mhz channel allocation here as opposed to the UK's 8Mhz. Alao set top boxes here are designed to handle AC3 DD5.1 audio, which may not be catered for in the tuner/set top box you may have

But buying a local STB, would solve all of that, and the plasma should work fine

#30 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

Murrayt,
Analog
Not only will you get no mono sound, their digital stereo sound (NICAM) will be useless but also it cannot receive VHF channels ie channels 0-12.
Digital
The channel width is different, they do not use VHF tuners
If it has a synthesised tuner, some UHF channels will not be tunable either.

So just buy a SD STB

The Europeans are just starting to get their act together on HD TV. So the display will be of SD quality so there is no point in feeding it HD signals.

AlanH

#31 Rodders 123

Rodders 123

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

Murrayt,
Analog
Not only will you get no mono sound, their digital stereo sound (NICAM) will be useless but also it cannot receive VHF channels ie channels 0-12.
Digital
The channel width is different, they do not use VHF tuners
If it has a synthesised tuner, some UHF channels will not be tunable either.

So just buy a SD STB

The Europeans are just starting to get their act together on HD TV. So the display will be of SD quality so there is no point in feeding it HD signals.

AlanH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#32 Rodders 123

Rodders 123

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for that info guys, for your reference, my tv is a panasonic 42inch plasma which is HD ready and has an integrated digital free to air tuner built in. Does this mean that I will just have to buy a separate digital set top box for my Panasonic to work ok ?

#33 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,288 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for that info guys, for your reference, my tv is a panasonic 42inch plasma which is HD ready and has an integrated digital free to air tuner built in. Does this mean that I will just have to buy a separate digital set top box for my Panasonic to work ok ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rodders,

You really need to start a new thread on this topic.

People are unlikely to answer questions on reception in an information thread about connection types......

Cheers,
Peter

#34 Rodders 123

Rodders 123

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

Rodders,

You really need to start a new thread on this topic.

People are unlikely to answer questions on reception in an information thread about connection types......

Cheers,
Peter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, sorry about that, getting carried away with finding out if my tv would work ok. Will start a new thread if I need any more info.

Regards
Rod

#35 ona rampage

ona rampage

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:36 PM

Possibly a silly question, but is it possible to get a SCART to HDMI connector?

#36 @matthew

@matthew

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

Possibly a silly question, but is it possible to get a SCART to HDMI connector?

No.

You may be able to get a component to HDMI (or to DVI) converter though. So SCART to Component cable through converter box to HDMI (or DVI, where you'd need a HDMI-DVI cable).

#37 ona rampage

ona rampage

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:16 AM

No.

You may be able to get a component to HDMI (or to DVI) converter though. So SCART to Component cable through converter box to HDMI (or DVI, where you'd need a HDMI-DVI cable).

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for that (realised last night lying in bed it was a silly question).

Can anyone confirm if such a beast does exist (i.e. component to HDMI)? I would assume no, as far as I have read component is still analogue and HDMI is digital, so some form of converter would be required......

#38 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,032 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hey Matthew,

Can anyone confirm if such a beast does exist (i.e. component to HDMI)? I would assume no, as far as I have read component is still analogue and HDMI is digital, so some form of converter would be required......

DVI-A can carry an analogue signal, don't know about HDMI... kinda defeats the purpose of using a digital only capable connection though :blink:

#39 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:22 AM

Hey Matthew,

Short answer is no.

It is relatively easy to convert one type of analogue signal to another such as RGBs (usually via SCART) to Component using a relatively inexpensive converter box.

However to go to a HDMI connection you would need to reprocess the signal from an analogue format to a digital format and possibly upscale it in the process......

There are devices that do this such as the DVDO VP30 but they are very expensive. Otherwise there are or soon will be some Amps that will have this capability but again they will be expensive.

Hope this helps,
Peter

#40 Bogus

Bogus

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

I have a CRT with Y/Pb/Pr and then HD / VD SYNC so a total of 5 RCA sockets.
Is this a RGBHV input?

Would I use a VGA -> 5 RCA cable to use this input?

When I get a HD STB would I be best to use this input or a standard 3RCA component?

Cheers,
RB

#41 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:01 PM

I have a CRT with Y/Pb/Pr and then HD / VD SYNC so a total of 5 RCA sockets.
Is this a RGBHV input?

Would I use a VGA -> 5 RCA cable to use this input?

When I get a HD STB would I be best to use this input or a standard 3RCA component?

Cheers,
RB

Yes, that is RGBHV and yes you would use a VGA to RGBHV cable. Do not use the component for the STB, use it for your DVD player, assuming you watch more TV than you do DVD's. If it's the other way around, then maybe using component for the STB is appropriate, but VGA will give a better PQ in my opinion, which some DVD players have too.

#42 Bogus

Bogus

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

I hardly watch DVDs. I would be more interested in using the component for the xbox.

I thought current DVD was only SD anyway?? (thought I read that in here somewhere) so would probably use DVD on s-video.

One more question.....
If I am reading correctly, DVI can send a VGA signal (depending on the STB).
Would I be better to go DVI to RBGHV or 15pin (D-sub??) to RBGHV?

Cheers,
RB

#43 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

AV Forum Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

Would I be better to go DVI to RBGHV or 15pin (D-sub??) to RBGHV?

If the DVI out was DVI-D, it would be impossible, as RGBHV and VGA/D-Sub are analogue connections. If the DVI out was either DVI-I or DVI-A, then it would be possible by buying a DVI->VGA adapter, then using the VGA->RGBHV cable, but that would be a waste if the STB already has a VGA out.

#44 Bogus

Bogus

AV Forum Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

If the DVI out was DVI-D, it would be impossible, as RGBHV and VGA/D-Sub are analogue connections. If the DVI out was either DVI-I or DVI-A, then it would be possible by buying a DVI->VGA adapter, then using the VGA->RGBHV cable, but that would be a waste if the STB already has a VGA out.

So there is no DVI RGBHV cables out there?
Incidentally, what is DVI-I?

#45 DavoNogo

DavoNogo

AV Forum Member

• 5,801 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:30 PM

Well, there are DVI-I to RGBHV cables, as per the following link:

http://www2.dvigear.com/noname4.html

But the STB would have to be DVI-I as well.

DVI-I contains the pinouts for both Analog and Digital DVI, and will automatically detect the display type and send the appropriate signal (there may also be a switch located on the cable to switch between the two). The "I" typically stands for "Integrated", as it integrates both Analog and Digital onto the same cable.

The following shows the different DVI types and their pinouts:

http://www.datapro.n.../dvi-config.jpg

#46 DarkMatter01

DarkMatter01

AV Forum Member

• 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

I'm thinking of getting component cables for my SD (and soon to be HD) reciever as I'm tired of dull (Like off grey) pictures even with the colour up near full. Since there is a JB Hi-Fi near me, I'll get them from there. But before I do, I've gotta ask: My telly only has a yellow (Video), white (Left Audio) and red (Right Audio) composite plugins, though there is another on the back, with both in and out plugins. Does this mean I'm stuck on composite or can I upgrade to component? Also, is there a HDMI to Component converter so that if I do have the right plugins, I can get top notch PQ?

#47 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:00 AM

I'm thinking of getting component cables for my SD (and soon to be HD) reciever as I'm tired of dull (Like off grey) pictures even with the colour up near full. Since there is a JB Hi-Fi near me, I'll get them from there. But before I do, I've gotta ask: My telly only has a yellow (Video), white (Left Audio) and red (Right Audio) composite plugins, though there is another on the back, with both in and out plugins. Does this mean I'm stuck on composite or can I upgrade to component? Also, is there a HDMI to Component converter so that if I do have the right plugins, I can get top notch PQ?

1) Given that you only have composite connections available on your TV, this is the best connection you can make. You would have to upgrade the TV to make a better connection.

2) There is no such thing as an HDMI to Component converter, however any device that has an HDMI output will almost certainly also have Component out.

#48 norm1234

norm1234

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

hi guys all this information is great . what about the audio ,which is better opitcal or a good coax cable ?

#49 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

hi guys all this information is great . what about the audio ,which is better opitcal or a good coax cable ?

check the sticky in the ht forum for the answer to that question

http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=31244

#50 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

Wow, my humble little thread has broken 10 000 views!

:P :blink: