• 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

congrats on this piece of work. Very well done indeed. certainly saved my time

#402 burningdesire

burningdesire

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

Does anybody know what HE flashing means on a Toshiba Territorial Set Top Box. We have lost manual.
:o

#403 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

Does anybody know what HE flashing means on a Toshiba Territorial Set Top Box. We have lost manual.
:o

Which model?

#404 tad bear

tad bear

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

hi thanks for the information. I have a very old television with only rf input(with no remote). I am about to buy a set top box. My connections are currently rf input to panasonic dvd recorder mod.DMR-EH50. (The dvd player has composite video in and video out - yellow, red and white, S Video in and out, component out - green blue red, rf in and out).
I run the yellow red and white composite connection to my Vcr(panasonic NV-FJ630) AV in. (the video recorderonly has composite in and out). and an rf cable from the dvd player to the vcr.
I then connect my vcr to my stereo via the red and white (composite/rca?).
I also run an rf cable from my vcr to my Television.
The VCR acts as a controller.

I am now about to buy a set top box (I currently cannot afford a new television, plus space is limited).

Is it possible to hook this all up and how?
I was going to try getting a hd set top box with composite out and running it into the DVD player av in. plus running an rf cable from the set top box to the DVD player.

Can anybody help.

Regards Tad Bear

#405 tad bear

tad bear

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

hi thanks for the information. I have a very old television with only rf input(with no remote). I am about to buy a set top box. My connections are currently rf input to panasonic dvd recorder mod.DMR-EH50. (The dvd player has composite video in and video out - yellow, red and white, S Video in and out, component out - green blue red, rf in and out).
I run the yellow red and white composite connection to my Vcr(panasonic NV-FJ630) AV in. (the video recorderonly has composite in and out). and an rf cable from the dvd player to the vcr.
I then connect my vcr to my stereo via the red and white (composite/rca?).
I also run an rf cable from my vcr to my Television.
The VCR acts as a controller.

I am now about to buy a set top box (I currently cannot afford a new television, plus space is limited).

Is it possible to hook this all up and how?
I was going to try getting a hd set top box with composite out and running it into the DVD player av in. plus running an rf cable from the set top box to the DVD player.

Can anybody help.

Regards Tad Bear

Hi

I have now succeeded in installing a GVA sd set top box using composite leads (R,W & Y) and an rf lead. Everything works well except the audio. I have to really crank up the volume on my television and amplifyer.

Any Ideas to remedy this?

Regards Tad

#406 Mr Flibble

Mr Flibble

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

I have now succeeded in installing a GVA sd set top box using composite leads (R,W & Y) and an rf lead. Everything works well except the audio. I have to really crank up the volume on my television and amplifyer.
Any Ideas to remedy this?

1st thing I would check is whether the volume on the STB is turned right up.

#407 rodd44

rodd44

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

gday all, can anyone give me an idiot proof description on how to set up my strong box? its installed i just need the settings for which satellite, what frequency, the symbol rate and the polarization. im at burekup, just north of bunbury in wa. thanks rod

#408 tad bear

tad bear

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

1st thing I would check is whether the volume on the STB is turned right up.

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the volume on the set top box. The only way that I can leave volume settings alone is to have the volume on the set top box at maximun (32). Then when I go to use my dvd player (also used as my cd player) I can cope with the volume.

I should say that my television 1979 toshiba is mono. I have the set top box audio set to L R, but have also tried LL and RR.
Still no results.

Regards Tad

#409 elleyoop

elleyoop

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hi I am sorry but I dont know what to do and im lost in here.

We have been given a csbt303 conia HD digital receiver. Has not been used for 3 years. It works. Cant pick up any channels though. Our old one did (before it died). Do we need a hd cable? We have a hd capable tv. Where can I find a manual? ANy help would be great.

what the hell is khz? Kiloheartz? It changtes through those too! Man im lost lol

#410 murgles

murgles

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hi I am sorry but I dont know what to do and im lost in here.

We have been given a csbt303 conia HD digital receiver. Has not been used for 3 years. It works. Cant pick up any channels though. Our old one did (before it died). Do we need a hd cable? We have a hd capable tv. Where can I find a manual? ANy help would be great.

what the hell is khz? Kiloheartz? It changtes through those too! Man im lost lol

I searched for the Conia model but couldn't find anything online. Could you confirm the model number?

Anyway, here is how you set it up.

1. Plug the antenna cable into the "ANT-IN" port on your Conia box
2. Do you have an RCA (yellow, white, red) cable? Run this cable from the Conia box to your TV
3. Turn on the Conia box
4. Press the "AV" button on your TV's remote control to cycle through the AV inputs until you see the menu from the Conia box
5. Are you able to specify the city where you live in the Conia box (look through the menus)
6. Do a full scan. It should take a few minutes and should pick up all the channels in your area.

#411 olacio

olacio

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hi

I am new to this forum and not sure even how to post here! As you can see, I am not very technical!

I bought a set top box and plugged it in. All seems to be working well, except i cant get rid of the AV icon on the video channel that the set top box works from. Any ideas? It is very distracting!

Cheers
A

#412 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,292 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

Hi

I am new to this forum and not sure even how to post here! As you can see, I am not very technical!

I bought a set top box and plugged it in. All seems to be working well, except i cant get rid of the AV icon on the video channel that the set top box works from. Any ideas? It is very distracting!

Cheers
A

Hi olacio and welcome to the forums. :)

It sounds like your issue is a setting on your TV that needs to be adjusted, however it is a very unusual problem that I haven't heard of before......
Is there another input on your TV you could try using to see if that makes a difference?

#413 olacio

olacio

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi olacio and welcome to the forums. :)

It sounds like your issue is a setting on your TV that needs to be adjusted, however it is a very unusual problem that I haven't heard of before......
Is there another input on your TV you could try using to see if that makes a difference?

Hi - thanks for your reply. No, no other input socket that i can see and no control on the TV that i can see to remove the AV signal (it is an old TV that i bought from an Op shop!).

One other question: should i have a cable running from the "Loop output" socket of STB to TV? At the moment, i don't have anything in either socket. Just antenna cable from wall to STB unit.

Cheers
A

#414 tad bear

tad bear

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi - thanks for your reply. No, no other input socket that i can see and no control on the TV that i can see to remove the AV signal (it is an old TV that i bought from an Op shop!).

One other question: should i have a cable running from the "Loop output" socket of STB to TV? At the moment, i don't have anything in either socket. Just antenna cable from wall to STB unit.

Cheers
A

Hi olacio My Mother in law had the same problem after I set up har dick smith sd stb. The solution was that on her television remote in the bottom righthand corner she had a button with a television rectangle on it. Pushing this button got rid of tha AV sign in the top right hand corner of her television.
I hope it helps (check al your remotes ie if you are running the stb through a dvd/vcr player).
Regards Tad

#415 olacio

olacio

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi olacio My Mother in law had the same problem after I set up har dick smith sd stb. The solution was that on her television remote in the bottom righthand corner she had a button with a television rectangle on it. Pushing this button got rid of tha AV sign in the top right hand corner of her television.
I hope it helps (check al your remotes ie if you are running the stb through a dvd/vcr player).
Regards Tad

Thanks Tad - that sounds like it is probably the answer - only problem is, since i bought the TV at an Op shop, it didn't come with a remote! Oh well, at least the mystery is solved. I will look on the TV controls to see if there is something i can do there.

Cheers
A

#416 md1950

md1950

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hi
I've read through the replies in here but Iím a bit lost as Iím a novice to new technology. I've inherited a set top box and a DVD recorder and am unsure how to set them up. I wish to be able to set up the set top box to watch the digital channels and tape some of these onto my DVD recorder - is this possible?

I can't seem to work out how to connect them all up so that I can watch the tv through the set top box and still be able to use the DVD recorder.

I have:
An old TEAC widescreen TV (EU3216STF) that has a scart connection (I think thatís what itís called) at the back with two leads (one has red, green and blue plugs and the other lead has a red and white plug). There are also three connections on the side for red, white and yellow plugs)

The Set top box is a Next Wave Digital (THD1690) with connections for a red, white and yellow plug as well as Component Out that has connections for Green, Red and Blue Plugs. It has little square connection called SPDIF. It also has a connection for a HDMI cable however neither the TV or DVD recorder seems to have a connection for this type of cable.

The DVD Recorder is a Pioneer DVR 630H that has a lot of connections. On the Front (Input 2) there is a S-Video connection for Yellow red and white plugs as well as a little square connection that says DV in. On the back there is a connection for Digital Output (little square connection). Input 1 for Auto Start Record has connections for red, white and yellow plugs as well as a circular plug; Input 3 has connections for red, white and yellow plugs as well as a circular plug. Output 1 and Output 2 have has connections for red, white and yellow plugs as well as a circular plug. Component Video Out has connections for red, green and blue plugs.

Can someone lead in the right direction with some very much dummied down instructions on how to set these all up :)

#417 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

I have a Strong HD-STB and it has a male RS-232 port with the pins.

Can I connect from my computer monitor output to it and use the STB to turn my CRTV into a computer monitor?

s

#418 surfer

surfer

AV Forum Member

• 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

I just got the dick smith box with usb ie GH5930 and i was running a legend set top HD box before
Anyway i unplugged the component cables swapped them into the dick smith unit and now i have a green picture .
I also swapped back to legend box and same thing....
Im not sure if unit was switched off but can changing the component cables blow something to do with the component video inside the TV?
I have a rear projection philips
I still get ok picture thru the composite cable but i want my component cables to work
HELP!!!!

#419 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,292 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

I just got the dick smith box with usb ie GH5930 and i was running a legend set top HD box before
Anyway i unplugged the component cables swapped them into the dick smith unit and now i have a green picture .
I also swapped back to legend box and same thing....
Im not sure if unit was switched off but can changing the component cables blow something to do with the component video inside the TV?
I have a rear projection philips
I still get ok picture thru the composite cable but i want my component cables to work
HELP!!!!

Changing Component cables shouldn't affect the TV's internals, HDMI is another story and should NEVER be hot-swapped.

It sounds more like you may have got the cables switched around at one end or the other and plugged into the wrong plugs.
Alternatively one of the cables may have been damaged while swapping, try an alternative cable if you can get one.

Check these first, otherwise it's time for a service call...... :(

#420 Glenny6766

Glenny6766

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a "Bush" HD set top box for the analogue tv in the kids loungeroom. Currently it already has Austar connected to it. The back of the Tv has 3 AV connections, so I thought that by connecting the STB to one and Austar to another that i should be right and simply use the AV button on the remote to toggle between the 2. From the moment I plugged the Red, white and Yellow plugs in the back of the Tv, there has been a loud humming sound, it doesnt affect the picture, but seems to affect the sound and the humming is very annoying.

Has anyone heard of this, or know what I can do? any help would be appreciated

#421 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a "Bush" HD set top box for the analogue tv in the kids loungeroom. Currently it already has Austar connected to it. The back of the Tv has 3 AV connections, so I thought that by connecting the STB to one and Austar to another that i should be right and simply use the AV button on the remote to toggle between the 2. From the moment I plugged the Red, white and Yellow plugs in the back of the Tv, there has been a loud humming sound, it doesnt affect the picture, but seems to affect the sound and the humming is very annoying.

Has anyone heard of this, or know what I can do? any help would be appreciated

Sounds like a dodgy input on your TV or a problem STB.

Three things to try.....
1) plug the STB into the 3rd input, same result?
2) plug the STB into the input currently used by the Austar box. Same result?
3) plug the Austar box into the input you tried the STB in. Is there humming?

if Yes to 1) & 2) then it's the STB that's the problem.
if Yes to 3) then it's the input in the TV that's the problem.

Hope this helps! ;)

#422 Glenny6766

Glenny6766

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Sounds like a dodgy input on your TV or a problem STB.

Three things to try.....
1) plug the STB into the 3rd input, same result?
2) plug the STB into the input currently used by the Austar box. Same result?
3) plug the Austar box into the input you tried the STB in. Is there humming?

if Yes to 1) & 2) then it's the STB that's the problem.
if Yes to 3) then it's the input in the TV that's the problem.

Hope this helps! ;)

Thanks, I will try that tonight, but when I plugged the STB into the input used by Austar, no humming, Austar into the input used by STB, no humming. Its only when the 2 are plugged in at the same time that the humming starts. I previously used an X-Box in that input, and there was no noise.

#423 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,292 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks, I will try that tonight, but when I plugged the STB into the input used by Austar, no humming, Austar into the input used by STB, no humming. Its only when the 2 are plugged in at the same time that the humming starts. I previously used an X-Box in that input, and there was no noise.

Simple then!

Leave the STB in the Austar input and the Austar in the other input. :)

#424 Glenny6766

Glenny6766

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Simple then!

Leave the STB in the Austar input and the Austar in the other input. :)

Tried both last night. Its only when both are plugged in that the interference (humming) is happenening, when both are plugged in the STB sound has the humming. When I unplug the Austar, the humming goes away. It's doing my head in, could the two be interfering with each other on some level, or frequency?

#425 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,292 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Tried both last night. Its only when both are plugged in that the interference (humming) is happenening, when both are plugged in the STB sound has the humming. When I unplug the Austar, the humming goes away. It's doing my head in, could the two be interfering with each other on some level, or frequency?

There's definately some sort of interaction between the two devices going on there mate. :(

Is it possible to run an extension cord from another room (ideally on a different power circuit) and plug the two into different power supplies?
Another possibility is interference on the antenna feed, try having both units connected and unplug the antenna fly lead from the STB and/or wall. Still humming?
One other thing to try is to get hold of another STB from somewhere and see if also exibits the same symptoms.......