• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 PM

About a year ago I discovered I could play 5.1 DTS DVDs in my car system. These are DVD-Video standard discs (not DVD-Audio standard) but my car screen is disabled when the car is in motion. So I now make my own DTS DVD audio-only discs to play my surround music in my car.

I thought a thread on Surround Sound music for cars might be interesting, as a vehicle can make a great listening place.

My car is a 2009 Audi A5 with MMI Plus with a B&O speaker package (I think all Audio MMI's are with 'Plus' since 2009 models, but I may be wrong). I also think many VW's have similar systems.

I have made my own DTS 5.1 DVD-Vs (24bit 48kHz 1510kbps) from many of my high res audio discs and also made a few mix/compilation discs. I use Audiomuxer (free) with ImgBurn (free) to create the DVD-V ISO files from a selection of 5.1 FLAC or WAV files created from my DVD-A, BD-A and SACD discs.

Today a created a new DTS disc with a mix of some of my most recent 5.1 music purchases. I have 35 tracks on a single layer DVD with heaps of spare space so probably could get about 60 songs on a single DVD no problem. Audiomuxer auto creates a chapter for each song file added and puts a 'video' label on the picture to see track name if car is stopped (and allowing easy skip to next track/last track etc). I don't create any menus, the discs just start playing on load.

Anyone else here listen to 5.1 and Quad music in their car?