• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

About a year ago I discovered I could play 5.1 DTS DVDs in my car system. These are DVD-Video standard discs (not DVD-Audio standard) but my car screen is disabled when the car is in motion. So I now make my own DTS DVD audio-only discs to play my surround music in my car.

I thought a thread on Surround Sound music for cars might be interesting, as a vehicle can make a great listening place.

My car is a 2009 Audi A5 with MMI Plus with a B&O speaker package (I think all Audio MMI's are with 'Plus' since 2009 models, but I may be wrong). I also think many VW's have similar systems.

I have made my own DTS 5.1 DVD-Vs (24bit 48kHz 1510kbps) from many of my high res audio discs and also made a few mix/compilation discs. I use Audiomuxer (free) with ImgBurn (free) to create the DVD-V ISO files from a selection of 5.1 FLAC or WAV files created from my DVD-A, BD-A and SACD discs.

Today a created a new DTS disc with a mix of some of my most recent 5.1 music purchases. I have 35 tracks on a single layer DVD with heaps of spare space so probably could get about 60 songs on a single DVD no problem. Audiomuxer auto creates a chapter for each song file added and puts a 'video' label on the picture to see track name if car is stopped (and allowing easy skip to next track/last track etc). I don't create any menus, the discs just start playing on load.

Anyone else here listen to 5.1 and Quad music in their car?

#2 figjam

figjam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

I had a Pioneer after-market unit installed in my Toyota 86. The installer chose to enable the video at all times, but I don't use the feature while driving.

I have played a couple of music dvds, but I haven't tested anything more than 2.0 yet I don't think. Thanks for the idea, will have to give hell freezes Over a go!

#3 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

I had my MMI firmware updated and maps updated to 2014 yesterday morning.

The installer also enabled some new features including allowing video in motion. So I re-created my last DVD with album cover art displaying through entire song. AudioMuxer software does that automatically after you locate an image for each track.

BTW the Audi tech Also enabled: Tyre Pressure Monitoring, Battery Voltage Meter, Hill Hold Assist, Audi Drive Select and Ripping CDs to MMI hard drive.

#4 kwarrior

kwarrior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Homer, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't most Car Audio systems just plain stereo? Even though there may be speakers on each passenger side, the sound is still stereo, because that is how the amp is, isn't it?

(esentially, what I was thinking is that even if I make a DVD with 5.1 audio encoding, my car wouldn't play it...I think!! or just play it in stereo.)

Edited by kwarrior, 30 October 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#5 HomerJ

HomerJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Kwarrior you are probably right. Most cars don't have 5.1 amps and decoders. Mine does but the decoder only accepts DD or DTS on a DVD. I was hoping the recent firmware update would allow 5.1 off SD cards but it still only works with SD cards with stereo files. Multichannel AAC and MP4s won't play in mine.

I believe there are aftermarket players/amps that do 5.1 but not sure of the price. I also saw there a blu-ray players for cars.

Worthwhile testing yours though. Might get a pleasant surprise.

Edited by HomerJ, 30 October 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#6 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,723 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:21 AM

I believe there are aftermarket players/amps that do 5.1 but not sure of the price. I also saw there a blu-ray players for cars.

Worthwhile testing yours though. Might get a pleasant surprise.

Very upmarket systems available with separate processors that even do time alignment and parametric eq ;  alpine are usually the 1st with cutting edge  :hug:For sure  you never know your luck these days with Harman Kardon ; Arkamy etc systems in small cars even.. 

Its a good car that has room for a center channel  ^_^

http://www.alpine.co...php?item_id=216

Edited by cwt, Yesterday, 03:28 AM.