Installer Needed - Inner Melb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thegriff

thegriff

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Just moved from one side of Port Melbourne to the other. I've gone from perfect reception on the HTPC to constant break-up and drop outs.

Had an antenna guy replace the antenna, install a mast-head amp, and retune. It took several antenna adjustments before I could get channel 7 at all. Now they all tune, but almost every channel pixelates and drops out. 

The TV's inbuilt meter (as much as that can be trusted) shows the signal quality dropping all the time from 100% to 50% and lower.

Are there any installers out there that won't roll their eyes and blame the HTPC? I'm literally 500m away from where i had 4 uninterrupted years of HTPC bliss.

#2 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi due to national re-tune and in your case moving location, you may be pointing to the wrong transmitter or translator.

Step one find out which one you need to point antenna to.

Step two, find out the frequencies involved.'

Step 3 do a manual tune to get the correct transmitter tower or translator.

To clear previous tunes, do a auto scan with antenna connector pulled - that will clear old settings.

It is best to manually tune the stations you want via the TV tuning menu. Get a tech savvy friend to help.

When tuned to the wrong transmitter pictures will break up like you described. Good Luck

Whirlpool has discussion threads, where this problem is being discussed and help suggestions are made :-)

search for Whirlpool forums: Home Theatre-TV's- Ch7 picture Breaking Up

Sorry can't cut and paste the link on this site for some reason. :-(

#3 thegriff

thegriff

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks but done all that. The installer refused to believe me at first when I showed him the frequencies, but I am getting the best signal from the Mt Dandenong transmitter that's 30KM away, vs the one that's 2km's away. That's if the injector is turned on. With the injector turned off, i get better signal from the City transmitter 2km away. With the injector not plugged in, I get nothing. But no scenario gives me a stable signal.

What concerns me is that because the installer immediately installed a masthead amp, that we were doomed from the beginning. As the two transmitters are in almost the same direction, I fear he has ended up with it in a  bad direction based on mixing signals from the transmission towers to make his signal meter happy rather than understanding what was actually happening. 

#4 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

Sounds like Jim's Antenna's or similar LOL.

I would remove the Booster amp. You should not need that. It would kill the transmitter 2km away and more than likely produce problems for the TX 30km away as well.

Boosters are known trouble makers in capital cities and Melbourne has TX's on both sides plus translators in the inner city. Amp/booster = disaster. Disconnect it imho.

Double check the required frequencies for your needs in the channel listing of your TV.

Good Luck and thanks for replying to my posting :-)

#5 thegriff

thegriff

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks but I'm really looking for an expert with the appropriate gear to do it for me. I don't even own a ladder to get me on the rood, let alone the gear to re-terminate the coax.

Edited by thegriff, 25 September 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#6 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

thegriff

As a stop gap until the man with meter and the knowledge can be found you could try putting a 10 or 20db attenuattor in the lead to the tv and then doing a manual tune on the channels from either of the transmission towers as described earlier to see if signal overload or some interference is the problem.

Also some amplifiers now on the market will let signals through the amplifier with the power to the injecter turned off others won't.

A lot of problems can be as simple as a dodgy flylead or wallplate connection either side of the wallplate particularly if the cables havnt been terminated properly with the right cable stripper and crimping tools.

cheers Tazzy.

#7 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Thanks but I'm really looking for an expert with the appropriate gear to do it for me. I don't even own a ladder to get me on the rood, let alone the gear to re-terminate the coax.

Hi thegriff,

Try here

#8 thegriff

thegriff

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hi thegriff,

Try here

Thank you for the recommendation.  They found the previous installer had used the wrong type of antenna, had installed the amp upside-down, had "crimped" the cable with what appeared to be pliers, and as suspected had not aimed at the local transmitter which was directly visible from my roof.

Funny enough the signal now seems really good!

#9 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi  thegriff

Funny that!

Some people should stick to what they know and understand,240 volts that is !!!

Installers have all seen it before many times over and people pay them good money too.lol.

cheers Tazzy

#10 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

Yes it is sad what unqualified butchers are around pretending to be experts and charging for it :-(
Glad yours is sorted now. With such short distances to transmitter there had to be something wrong with the installation. :-)

#11 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thank you for the recommendation.  They found the previous installer had used the wrong type of antenna, had installed the amp upside-down, had "crimped" the cable with what appeared to be pliers, and as suspected had not aimed at the local transmitter which was directly visible from my roof.

My pleasure. ^_^

In a largely unregulated industry, getting someone who knows what to do can be haphazard at times.