AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

Free for a limited period!
Check it out...

http://www.thestar.c...s_than_one.html

http://www.macworld....-on-itunes.html

U2 releases new, full album 'Songs of Innocence' for free exclusively on Apple's iTunes

#2 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,676 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

Ironic title for a product launch campaign that is the epitome of savvy and marketing guile. :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#3 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

Did I read somewhere it was pulled?

#4 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,676 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

Did I read somewhere it was pulled?

Nope. Just that a 'tool' was subsequently provided by Apple to enable people to uninstall the songs themselves. 

A lot of people resented that the songs just appeared on their iPhone without their permission and it wasn't obvious how to get rid of them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#5 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Nope. Just that a 'tool' was subsequently provided by Apple to enable people to uninstall the songs themselves. 

A lot of people resented that the songs just appeared on their iPhone without their permission and it wasn't obvious how to get rid of them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Amazing how much trouble people will go to to be offended! The songs weren't physically downloaded until you decided to play them. I'm listening now, I think it's their best effort for several years.

#6 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

Yep. Some people have nothing else to complain about. I'm happy to see them. I got other issues to concern me.

#7 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Amazing how much trouble people will go to to be offended! The songs weren't physically downloaded until you decided to play them. I'm listening now, I think it's their best effort for several years.

Yep my thoughts too. I'm not a fan of U2 but happy to get a free album and the few songs I've played sound pretty good, and yeah you actually had to download the songs from the cloud b4 you could play them.

In a time when innocent people are being beheaded live on tv and young kids are going missing from their front porches, some morons just have nothing more to worry about except to complain about getting a free album from a mega rock band. Idiots.

#8 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

So true mate.

#9 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,676 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Cant speak for why other people got offended. Don't own an iPhone myself. But I thought the backlash on this was important for two reasons.

1) Apple consumers pay top dollar to be 'spoon fed'. They want it simple and they want it beautiful and the want it to just work (Not that there's anything wrong with that). Suddenly they've realised that their phone is not really under their control. Its a bit scary.

2) "Free" is a misnomer. The new iPhone costs more because U2 are giving away "free" songs. These days you can get a thousand "free" deals. From gym membership to first month free phone contracts to buy 5 coffees and get the 6th "free". "Free" is simply a marketing term (ancient and modern) that means "you'll pay more in the long run". Its nice to think that consumers might be catching on to this.

I agree its a first world problem. But while the 3rd world has very pressing issues, that doesn't mean that the first world doesn't have some really serious ones of its own. Rampant consumerism might be one of them.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 17 September 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#10 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Well if they didn't realise their phones weren't really under their control prior to this I'd be asking questions anyway as basically every second pop up box is asking if apple can access your phone for this and that.
And sometimes it's just overthought too. They are songs that you can download or not.

#11 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,013 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:16 AM

...complain...

Bono has changed his tune somewhat...

'...Bono has decided it’s time for him to speak out against illegal downloaders. "Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it’s a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended.” '

Maybe U2 did this, as last time...

'... the faucet for said “tap water” was Universal Music Group Australia.'

http://www.twentyfou...t-music-piracy/

' “Giving away music like this is as damaging to the value of music as piracy, and those who will suffer most are the artists of tomorrow,” says Quirk (UK’s Entertainment Retailers Association chairman).'

http://musicfeeds.co...ging-as-piracy/

JSmith :ninja:

#12 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,370 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 PM

and beyond all the hype I wouldn't have an Iphone if you offered me one free for life................

#13 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,676 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

and beyond all the hype I wouldn't have an Iphone if you offered me one free for life................

I think Apple realised that a long time ago. That's why they will only give you one for $1000 if you earn it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie