Photo

Avr Problems. Can I Expect To Get A New Replacement?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pi314

pi314

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Hi,

My AVR (a Denon X4000) has recently started to play up (it occasional changes input sources by itself). Given that it is fairly new (less than a year) can I expect to get it replaced with a new one or is the best I can expect a repair to my existing unit?

Cheers

#2 surroundfan

surroundfan

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:39 PM

If you're relying on the manufacturer's warranty guess is that Qualifi will assess the likely cost of repair vs replacement and do what costs them the least in accordance with the terms of the warranty.

(Under the ACL, a supplier is given the choice of repairing, replacing or refunding unless there is a major failure. You can also sue the manufacturer to recover any reasonably foreseeable loss or damage, but this would be costly and tricky.)

#3 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,382 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:40 PM

I'd bet a repair ... generally they only replace if they can't fix (easily) ... although you might want to check what the current consumer law actually says, it *might* be at your option and not theirs ... have a look at your states Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading website.

you are certain you are not getting IR interference from elsewhere that is causing the input changes?

edit SurroundFan beat me to it and it seems my recollection is the option is at their discretion.

Edited by Chopsus, Yesterday, 01:41 PM.

#4 pi314

pi314

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys for the super fast and useful replies - much appreciated.

#5 Jamo8

Jamo8

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Did you try diagnosing by yourself, like factory reset the AVR and see whether it fixes the problem ? 

if you have a Denon X4000 receiver, press and hold the "Info" and "Back" button while pressing the power button

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/...y-defaults.html

#6 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:17 PM

Mine was doing this when I first got it.  I thought my cinema room was haunted !

I think they (Batpig @AVS) suggested unplugging from the wall for around 15 mins (soft reset).

Edited by Vieira4, Yesterday, 07:17 PM.

#7 pi314

pi314

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:35 PM

I haven't tried the factory reset yet but I did try the soft reset without any luck. I'll definitely try a factory reset before contacting Denon again. BTW, is there some info I can read that explains why factory resets might work?

Vieira4,

I take it the soft reset fixed the problem for you? Did it ever return?

#8 Jamo8

Jamo8

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

I haven't tried the factory reset yet but I did try the soft reset without any luck. I'll definitely try a factory reset before contacting Denon again. BTW, is there some info I can read that explains why factory resets might work?

I had Denon AVR-3312,  once the sound dropped out completely but plays video okay.  I had to reset to AVR and it started working again.  The factory reset basically brings back to default settings.  It is worth trying in your case, re-run the auddyssey.  Let us know how you go with this problem it may benefit others.

#9 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted Today, 12:31 PM

Vieira4,

I take it the soft reset fixed the problem for you? Did it ever return?

Yes I believe that worked for me.  Does your X4000 have the latest firmware etc?

You can save a backup of your settings via the web interface before doing the factory reset, then load them back after without having to rerun audyssey.

#10 pi314

pi314

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted Today, 01:22 PM

I had Denon AVR-3312,  once the sound dropped out completely but plays video okay.  I had to reset to AVR and it started working again.  The factory reset basically brings back to default settings.  It is worth trying in your case, re-run the auddyssey.  Let us know how you go with this problem it may benefit others.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still wondering how anything a user does (changing settings etc) could cause problems? The other thing is that I haven't changed anything in my AVR for quite a while and the problem has just started recently. The only things I change these days are volume, sub trim and input selection.

Yes I believe that worked for me.  Does your X4000 have the latest firmware etc?

You can save a backup of your settings via the web interface before doing the factory reset, then load them back after without having to rerun audyssey.

I don't know if my firmware is up to date - I will have to check. Where can I find the latest (Australian) firmware?

Saving first sounds like a great idea. But if the reset is designed to restore the default settings, doesn't loading the old settings after a reset defeat the purpose of doing a reset?