Viewing Distance Calculation Results

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#401 50MXE20

50MXE20

DTV Forums Guru

• 23,205 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

is 4.1m away from a 63 inch sammy enough?

Should be perfect.

BUT the bottom line is what you personally feel comfortable with.

#402 jsmith

jsmith

DTV Forums Member

• 5,680 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

is 4.1m away from a 63 inch sammy enough?

2.5m would be better for fully resolved 1080i/p, see this viewing distance calculator.

JSmith :ninja:

#403 Blackone

Blackone

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

hmm......i am hearing so many conflicting views about viewing distance.

I have viewing distance of around 3.8m or 12feet, i have ordered a 58inch Samsung C7000 but wanted to upgrade my order to a 63inch version but the sales person at JBHI recommended otherwise and said at that viewing distance I would be not happy with the picture of the 63' when i was not watching HD content!

I am confused! the guy at JBHiFi seemed to be being really honest with me, but most of the stuff I have read on the net people say I'd be fine with a 63' at 12 feet. The guy kept on saying that unless most of the content I would be watching is 1080i/p then i wont be happy. Makes me feel a bit suss, cause I've never heard of a salesperson convincing someone to spend less money.

#404 50MXE20

50MXE20

DTV Forums Guru

• 23,205 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

So what did you think when you viewed it yourself in the shop?

#405 Blackone

Blackone

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:11 AM

Well the maximum they had at the shop was a 60', which quite frankly I thought looked bloody wikid! although they were playing 1080p on it and the sales guy said at anything lower than 1080-720p at 4m and you will be able to see the image construction grid. I took his word for it as he sells TV's for a living and well I don't. Has anyone seen a 63' @ 4m for everyday viewing? and is it ideal or could the tv be smaller?

Edited by Blackone, 08 June 2010 - 01:19 AM.

#406 50MXE20

50MXE20

DTV Forums Guru

• 23,205 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:48 AM

Get him to demo a normal DVD fed into it.

Personally, I believe you will love it.

#407 mwd

mwd

DTV Forums Member

• 2,334 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

Personally, I believe you will love it.

+1 at 4m even SD TV should look reasonable if the tuner is any good and as Jsmith advises you need to be at 2.5m or closer to fully resolve the HD 1080/720 material.

It is surprising how quickly you become accustomed to the larger size. They only look huge when switched off. :D

#408 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,843 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

I have viewing distance of around 3.8m or 12feet, i have ordered a 58inch Samsung C7000 but wanted to upgrade my order to a 63inch version but the sales person at JBHI recommended otherwise and said at that viewing distance I would be not happy with the picture of the 63' when i was not watching HD content!

I am confused! the guy at JBHiFi seemed to be being really honest with me, but most of the stuff I have read on the net people say I'd be fine with a 63' at 12 feet. The guy kept on saying that unless most of the content I would be watching is 1080i/p then i wont be happy. Makes me feel a bit suss, cause I've never heard of a salesperson convincing someone to spend less money.

I am not aware of a difference of opinion regarding human visual acuity or over the standards for move presentation.
At 3.8 meters a 63 is WAY too small for the normal human eye to resolve 1080 and its also WAY to small to meet the requirements on move presentation.

At 3.8 meters SD will look very decent on a 63". As I type this I am watching SD Austar on a 70" screen at 4 meters and it looks very good, no complaints at all.

Take a tape measure with you to the retailer, measure of 3.8 meters from the screen, pull up a chair and watch a range of free to air TV and some DVD's.

Edited by Owen, 08 June 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#409 Inferno-

Inferno-

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

You need to think about what you want the TV for. If you're after the "home theatre experience", then you need a very large TV for 3.8m. Bigger than 63. But realistically, will you be watching more movies, or TV? Do you really want to watch the news or Law & Order on a 70 inch screen?

For 3.8, I think 58 is the perfect size. You can always push the couch closer for the occasion movie you watch to get the home theatre experience.

#410 50MXE20

50MXE20

DTV Forums Guru

• 23,205 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

And everyone has a different personal preference.
Go with what is comfortable for you and forget what everyone else tells you.

eg, My wife and I are completely opposite wrt viewing distance so we compromise
Spoiler

#411 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,843 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

Problem is that unless you have lived with a big screen you just dont know what its like and have no reference point.
The only people who think big screens are not good are those who have never lived with one.

#412 DM Dave

DM Dave

DTV Forums Member

• 278 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hi Blackone,

How has your purchase worked out?

All the Best,

Dave.

#413 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sorry to drag up and old thread, but I was just watching some calibration youtube clips and came across this, do they even know what they are talking about....32 inch HDTV 1.75 metres.....52 inch HDTV 4.0 metres...Huh !!!!

Edited by BusterB, 27 March 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#414 pgdownload

pgdownload

DTV Forums Master

• 11,464 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

The numbers the clip uses are the same as the chart at the start of this thread mention. If you just watch HD material then both the YouTube clip and this thread agree on the recommended distances. If you also want to optimise SD viewing then the compromise between the two are the final figures mentioned in the clip.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#415 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hey PG,

Just put a 52inch widescreen TV into that calculator and it comes up with:

Max SMPTE 2.2m
Max THX 2.5m
Rec 1.8m

Maximum 6.0m !!!!!! - you'd need a telescope to view the TV or the sniper rifle scope he uses in the clip.

I guess as you say, taking the average of SD and HD/Full HD content being viewed into account 4m would be that average.

I'm sitting 2.4 away from my 58incher and lovin it - blurays blow me away !

Cheers

BB

#416 Robbks

Robbks

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

for critical viewing 6m may seem too far away.

but who wants to see the news-readers face that close up.

not to mention if you have a family sitting around in a living room watching the sitcoms.
a 60" TV that's 2 metres away is far too close in reality.

i only have a 46" Plasma and if i sit the recommended (by the table) 1.7m metres away, i'd have no space for my coffee table or legroom between myself and the tv
my seat on the couch (where the entire HT setup is calibrated to) is 3.5 metres away, while it does feel further away than would be ideal for critical movie watching or comparing it with a cinema
it's still comfortable and not as if you need magnifying glasses to see the screen

practicality has a way of getting in the way here unless you're in a dedicated theatre room with 100" screen.
can anyone else remember the time when the big-boy family tv was a 68cm non-widescreen.?

#417 MLXXX

MLXXX

DTV Forums Member

• 5,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hey PG,

Just put a 52inch widescreen TV into that calculator and it comes up with:

Max SMPTE 2.2m
Max THX 2.5m
Rec 1.8m

Maximum 6.0m !!!!!! - you'd need a telescope to view the TV or the sniper rifle scope he uses in the clip.

I guess as you say, taking the average of SD and HD/Full HD content being viewed into account 4m would be that average.

I'm sitting 2.4 away from my 58incher and lovin it - blurays blow me away !

BB, what "calculator" are you referring to that states 6.0m for a 52" set?

The pdf chart linked to at the beginning of this thread is very simple. For 52" (or 132cm approx), the chart indicates a distance between 2.0 and 2.25m.

I'd agree that 6m for a 52" set would significantly compromise viewing enjoyment.

can anyone else remember the time when the big-boy family tv was a 68cm non-widescreen.?

I can. The old 26" CRT family TV suffered dreadful flicker at 50Hz. (100Hz models were a big improvement!)

Today's 50" widescreen plasmas or LCDs are a different proposition. They are big enough to offer a cinematic viewing angle [for a small number of viewers], and if fed higher resolution free to air, or full HD Blu-ray, will stand up to critical examination at quite close viewing distances.

I see you mention 2m for a 60" TV as "far too close in reality". For 60" (about 152cm), the pdf chart linked to at post 1 of this thread recommends 2.2 to 2.25m. I find that's what I have chosen naturally as a usual viewing distance for my 60" TV, i.e. around 2.2m. Despite having good vision (slightly better than 20/20), I find I become conscious of loss of detail if I sit much further back. Also the viewing experience is less immersive.

Granted, for watching the news (which on the commercial channels is still delivered at only a DVD resolution), such a close viewing distance would not be necessary. Also for practicality some lounge chair arrangements cannot always be quite as close as the recommended distances in the chart. However if you sit much further back, it is worse than sitting in the back row of a cinema, and you really do "miss out" on detail available with the better resolution video sources.

#418 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

BB, what "calculator" are you referring to that states 6.0m for a 52" set?

The pdf chart linked to at the beginning of this thread is very simple. For 52" (or 132cm approx), the chart indicates a distance between 2.0 and 2.25m.

I'd agree that 6m for a 52" set would significantly compromise viewing enjoyment.

-
Hey Buddy,

I used this one, included in the first few pages of this thread:

http://myhometheater...ancemetric.html

Regards

BB

#419 MLXXX

MLXXX

DTV Forums Member

• 5,253 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Ah, thanks. [Post #11, I see.]