Believe the hype......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,283 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

So i decided to buy one of these because the son sits hard wired down one end of the house while the rest of us may as well be on the moon as far as Wi Fi coverage is concerned in the house.

Let me tell you it is impressive as it gets, from receiving about 1 bar on anything at our end, we have gone to not just 5 bar signal but speed as well.

I wanted it not for the audio extender more for the wi fi and I can say without doubt it is $75 well spent.

One catch, the quick set up instruction is not as fluid as it needs to be and I ended up going here and installing via the Android app (QRS Mobile), and that was way easier.

For those that may want it for the audio it's a neat gadget as well, may certainly also have a place for those that update HT devices, etc via wi fi, certainly worth a look..........

dlink-audio-extender1-580x357.jpg

#2 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

Thanks mate, exactly what we need. Most of the house is covered ok on wi-fi except for the theatre room and outdoor living which drop in and out, a real pain when trying to use Sonos. Did you buy online or from a store?

#3 beejay76

beejay76

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:04 AM

Thanks mate, exactly what we need. Most of the house is covered ok on wi-fi except for the theatre room and outdoor living which drop in and out, a real pain when trying to use Sonos. Did you buy online or from a store?

I think you'd be better off upgrading the main AP and have it cover the whole house reliably. Have a look on eBay for a Pakedge WAP-W3 or W3N, used examples can be found for insane crazy cheap prices now. I have recently done an installtion here in Perth with a W3N where my iPad 3 was making a rock solid connection to the wi-fi network at a range of over 250m.

#4 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

I think you'd be better off upgrading the main AP and have it cover the whole house reliably. Have a look on eBay for a Pakedge WAP-W3 or W3N, used examples can be found for insane crazy cheap prices now. I have recently done an installtion here in Perth with a W3N where my iPad 3 was making a rock solid connection to the wi-fi network at a range of over 250m.

I only need something that'll extend the range about 5 meters. This D-link for $75 seems cheap and easy and all I'd need. I have a reliable wi-fi now, it's just one end and side of the house that drop in and out. I just googled W3N and can't even see where I'd begin. What's the go, where should I be searching?

#5 beejay76

beejay76

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Look for Pakedge WAP-W3, W3G, W3N or W6.

This W6 is a bargain, these retail in Australia for about $500.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19f0bc85bc

I've got a hunch using an AP in repeater mode to extend Wi-Fi range will reduce your throughput on that part of the network by 50%.

#6 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,283 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Cheers mate, got mine from Mwave in Sydney online, ordered Saturday and was here on Tuesday......

#7 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Look for Pakedge WAP-W3, W3G, W3N or W6.

This W6 is a bargain, these retail in Australia for about $500.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19f0bc85bc

I've got a hunch using an AP in repeater mode to extend Wi-Fi range will reduce your throughput on that part of the network by 50%.

Cheers mate, think I'll get the D-link for $75, I don't want to mess around and just need something simple as my wifi works fine, just the last few meters of a large home that drop in and out. Thanks.

#8 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Cheers mate, got mine from Mwave in Sydney online, ordered Saturday and was here on Tuesday......

Thanks mate I'll order from there. Cheers.