4 replies to this topic

#1 wheels

wheels

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

Hello all,

I am wanting to know if you can connect a digital set top box between foxtel satellite decoder and DVD recorder.

I also have a VCR recorder connected to the front AV input to record to video recording to DVD and HDD.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Mark

#2 captain_fantastic

captain_fantastic

DTV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

hi

I have a VCR, Foxtel, DVD player and a STB hooked up just fine.

It can be a little complicated to work out, but basically i have foxtel on Channel 8, my VCR on Channel 1 and the STB on AV Channels. Works fine for me. I'm sure if i tried i could hook up digital to, say, channel 6 but I cannot really be bothered.

My setup, is roughly like this..

I have a Splitter for the TV Aerial.

One goes into Foxtel, then the VCR, then the TV
the other going straight into the STB

I have Foxtel on Channel 8
VCR on Channel 1
STB on AV2
DVD on AV3

There should be something in the installation guide that will show you how its done. You may find a setup that works better for you. Like I said, I could probably get everything running through the TV channels (except the DVD) but I'm happy with my setup.

My other bit of advice, buy an all-in-one remote control. Its one of the best things I've ever purchased. Its $199 from the Sony website (http://www.sonystyle...sp?id=RMVL1000T), or JB HiFi. I only ever use this, and I do not lose any functionality.

Glen

#3 wheels

wheels

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:22 PM

Thank You very much Glen.

I have all my equipment foxtel, DVD recorder, going through AV three on the TV.

Second DVD player going through AV one on the TV.

Foxtel picture only to watch on AV two when recording on both DVD recorder and connected video recorder at the same time so I can watch foxtel in stereo.

I did have two video recorders connected until recently after acquiring the DVD recorder.

Regarding remote control I already have two MX-500 remote controls one spare for already programmed for emergencies as I am a quadriplegic and can't do without my remote now.

Hopefully I can get someone to sort it out. I was told there is a adapter that turns your RF and has RCA connected so they connect together.

Thanks again as I have tried a few times and know reply. Should be getting the digital box in the post this week.

Regards Markmask with

#4 ozbrit

ozbrit

DTV Forums Member

• 633 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

By running what is essentially A/V equipment (Foxtel STB, VCR etc) through the TV Tuner, diminishes the sound and picture quality no end. Not wishing to tell Captain fantastic he's got it wrong, coz we can clearly see he's happy with how he's doing things. My feeling is its best to keep off the TV RF and use A/V connections first. If the TV has insufficient of these buy a 2 or 3 way switch from Dick Smith - that is DVD, VCR & Foxtel all into one set of RCA's on the TV. Its hard to give advice on how to connect up, as each persons equipment is differently equipped with A/V terminals but generally speaking newer appliances have more connectors than does old gear.

#5 logilnk2

logilnk2

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:55 PM

This is essentailly correct and it all depends on your equipment and budget. Use AV connectors before RF connectors. Also use component connectors before AV if present.

The ultimate way to connect equipment is via an amplifier that will accept AV/component/optical/coax inputs and give surround sound. Then all you need to do is have a monitor out to the TV. Then use the VCR output to the HDD recorder to record anything you watch.

Alex McMillan
0402 628613