• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,176 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi Guys

Can I use the Chromecast to access my WD Tv Live ? If it does it would be a cheap way to stream to the patio TV ( instead of buying another wdtv)

Cheers

Stig

Check if your WDTV Live has a built in DLNA server, if it doesn't, and if your content on a USB drive that's connected to WDTV Live, then likely it's a no. (I only have the old one not the new one so unsure of any additional features).

But if you're playing media from a server (over network), then you can use some of the chromecast supported apps and re-direct the content to the dongle..  e.g. I'm using Plex as my media server and I can play that on my old WD TV Live or on the Chromecast.

#27 agelessgoodguy

agelessgoodguy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

Cnet have this story running on the past and possible future of Chromecast for those interested.

#28 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Cnet have this story running on the past and possible future of Chromecast for those interested.

It's a very nifty device.. Changed how I approach my video watching (of coz free Plex client from Amazon also helped :P)...

What we need is for Google to purchase Plex and offer it for free to all Chromecast users :D... Good software + good hardware = win!