Photo

Does It Matter If Movie Is 5.1 Or 7.1 ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Your movie preference (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following best describes you?

1. Must have best audio available, will source overseas if necessary (9 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Prefer 7.1 but can live with 5.1 (20 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

3. Have only 5.1 system so most movies meets my audio needs (22 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

4. Humbug! Why the fuss about formats? If it sounds OK, will watch movie (3 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

I would love to play with 9.1 or 11.1 but unfortunately when i upgraded my avr i did nt read the fine print and went with the denon 3313 which has 11.2 connections but can only process 7.1 or 7.2 (not sure on the .1 or .2). I would love to have got the 4520 but that was out of my price range at the time.  My next upgrade will be a straight pre-amp but i have struggled to find one that goes beyond 7.1 or 7.2 while still being within a reasonable price range.  I would need more amplification as well as i only have a 5 channel poweramp.

His does it make use of the 9.2/11.2 connections if it does not process to them?

7.1 is the max you will find in any soundtrack, 9 and 11 have always been internal processor settings.

#27 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,111 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

I use 11.2, but more importantly, enjoy what you have and watch more movies!

#28 steffan

steffan

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

His does it make use of the 9.2/11.2 connections if it does not process to them?

7.1 is the max you will find in any soundtrack, 9 and 11 have always been internal processor settings.

Yes i understand that but the most the 3313 will let you use is 7.1 or 7.2.  Example being i had front height and front wides attached to it.......i could use 1 or the other.....i could not use both at the same time.  same for rear surrounds.  if i wanted to use rear surrounds i could not use front height or front wide.  it would only output to 7.1 

Petertherock.  I do love what i have but would still love to play with more channels.....:)

Edited by steffan, 14 May 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#29 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yes i understand that but the most the 3313 will let you use is 7.1 or 7.2.  Example being i had front height and front wides attached to it.......i could use 1 or the other.....i could not use both at the same time.  same for rear surrounds.  if i wanted to use rear surrounds i could not use front height or front wide.  it would only output to 7.1 

Mate I think you will find the vast majority of receivers are like this ... my Yamaha RXV3800 was the same and it was a top of the line unit ... they are all limited by the number of amps inside.

I don't know about he dennons, but you may be able to use 9 or 11 with an external power amp.

#30 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,111 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Petertherock.  I do love what i have but would still love to play with more channels..... :)

Then spend more $$ !

Simple solution.

No $? Then enjoy what you have.

The outgoing Denon X4000 should be under $1500 for 9 channels plus XT 32.

Or take a trip overseas and buy them plus enjoy a holiday!

#31 steffan

steffan

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Mate I think you will find the vast majority of receivers are like this ... my Yamaha RXV3800 was the same and it was a top of the line unit ... they are all limited by the number of amps inside.

I don't know about he dennons, but you may be able to use 9 or 11 with an external power amp.

I am already using a poweramp but it still limits to 7 channels.  I am currently using an xpa-5 and running 2 channels from the avr

#32 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

What he said.

You need to assign the amps

#33 ccs

ccs

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Sound & Vision recently had a poll which shows that more than 50% of readers (does not say how many voted) still have 5.1 systems.  It parallels what we have in this forum where, to my surprise, many still have 5.1.

#34 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Sound & Vision recently had a poll which shows that more than 50% of readers (does not say how many voted) still have 5.1 systems.  It parallels what we have in this forum where, to my surprise, many still have 5.1.

Whereas I'm not surprised at all, the absolute enthusiasts go chasing more and those with dedicated rooms to expand also.

Given yes there are more and more movies getting released in 7.1 some of the landscape is changing but 5.1 still cuts the mustard as far as I'm concerned....

#35 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,526 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 PM

I have 7.1 and welcome more channels.  BD is limited to 8 discrete (7.1) channels and when a film is presented in 7.1, I do find it is generally better.  

5.1 works and will always be the base on which all MC soundtracks are based.  

The problem with 5.1 is that sounds can not truly move from the front to the back of the room.  Why?  Because if you followed the ITU-R layout, your surrounds will be at the sides and therefore the sounds will collapse to the speaker at some point.

Phantom images only really work when -

A. Your seated in the perfect centre and

B. provided the sound is at the correct pitch.  It is documented and I have even heard this myself where sounds that should be heard from behind you may appear as if coming from above or even below you.  

7.1 systems solve these issues and why they exist.   

#36 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,580 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:35 PM

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Audio setups entered the law of diminishing returns over a decade ago. Debates on how many speakers you can afford to buy to 'improve' the sound are akin to phone reviews lauding the fact they are 0.1 mm thinner than a competitor. These days the pursuit of incremental fidelity sort of misses the point of story telling (aka movies).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#37 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM

5.1 works. 7.1 works. As does 9.1 and 11.1 and come Atmos 16.4.2 or whatever that will work too. Enjoy what you have, what you can afford. It's a life and you only get one shot at it.

#38 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,938 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM

I have a 5.1 setup, but planning to one day upgrade to 7.1 when funds allow, as such, I prefer the movie come with 7.1 for when the upgrade happens. However I voted 'have 5.1 system...' option as it describes me now.

#39 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,156 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Short answer: No
Long Answer: Audio setups entered the law of diminishing returns over a decade ago. Debates on how many speakers you can afford to buy to 'improve' the sound are akin to phone reviews lauding the fact they are 0.1 mm thinner than a competitor. These days the pursuit of incremental fidelity sort of misses the point of story telling (aka movies).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

+1