• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forums Member

• 2,959 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi friends

I have been using the MF A 5.5 (250w times two with HT bypass), and it's a solid amp with oomph and drive.

It's time to change it, and I am looking at a replacement with a budget of 5-7000 USD.

- neutral to warm sonic signature

- high current

- HT bypass

- will prefer a solid state

- remote control and preferable standby mode instead of a hard on/off button

- min 100w but 200 and up is better

Any ideas?

Thank you

Edited by petetherock, 21 April 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#2 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forums Member

• 2,959 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Right now, I am considering:

- Marantz PM 11 s3 - now sure if that's a little underpowered at 100w

- MF M6i - is this more of a side step than a real upgrade?

- MF 6500i - 500w times two..

Thought about Macs, but they don't have HT bypass and my budget is probably too meagre...

Will prefer new if possible..

#3 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forums Member

• 2,669 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

I think you can have  a look at Luxman, they don't have HT bypass but their integrated amps can work as pre, power amp and integrated amp.

#4 Mining Man

Mining Man

AV Forums Member

• 6,791 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Balanced inputs?

Yamaha A-S3000 looks gorgeous, and specs wise has everything you want. If it's rubbish, I suppose you could just leave it in standby and look at it...

#5 sirvenom

sirvenom

AV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

I would suggest to audition the marantz first . Had a chance to compare it to other integrateds at the shop and those 100 watts were highly overrated

Cheers,

#6 POV

POV

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

I'm not sure how stuck on spending 5-7k you are, but I have a cheaper suggestion that ticks all your boxes.  Harman Kardon HK990.  The thing is an absolute beast and has the most comprehensive HT bypass on the market, allowing you to bypass sub channels as well as main channels.  This means that you can utilise the amp on-board bass management and eq for stereo, whilst utilising your AV amps on-board bass management and eq for movies and multi channel.

I've never understood why this unit hasn't got more love, as not only does it have a full feature set, it also sounds incredible and is one hell of a bargain.  Will easily shame your MF without breaking a sweat...

http://www.stereophi...rated-amplifier

Conclusions
I found that Harman Kardon's HK 990 delivered on all its promises. Its power amp is very strong and agile. Its purely analog performance, from input to speaker, is worthy of the highest-quality sources and signals. Digital sources are handled cleanly and at high (24-bit/96kHz) resolution. But most important, the HK 990 brings modern audio features to a two-channel system by providing useful bass management and effective room/system equalization. I've always believed that, given adequacy in all components, speakers and room acoustics will be the biggest determinants of a system's overall sound. The Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier not so much refutes as confirms that belief. Unlike purely analog amplifiers, it can actually improve the sound of your speakers in your room. At less than $2599, the HK 990 should be on every audiophile's shopping list.

Edited by POV, Yesterday, 11:33 PM.

#7 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forums Member

• 16,030 posts

Posted Today, 11:07 AM

- Marantz PM 11 s3 - now sure if that's a little underpowered at 100w

Since you have the NA-11S1, my recommendation will be this..

Pretty sure it has pre-outs so even if 100W isn't enough, it's not really a crippler... And depending on your speakers' sensitivity and the volume you want, 100 W should be plenty.. If you're still using B&W speakers paired with Marantz they actually sound pretty good (IMO of coz so YMMV)...

And icing on the cake, it's RRP is $1 short of your $5k USD budget :)

But as sirvenom said, audition it first... And test out a unit that has been used for at least 2 months... Like him, I also find the new PM a bit underwheming (but I listened to it when it was first released and the Marantz do so a bit harsh and closed in when new).. 

#8 doggiehowser

doggiehowser

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted Today, 12:22 PM

It's not quite as powerful as you are looking at getting and it is a bit more expensive than your budget, but get an audition of the Ayre AX5 with the new diamond stage and VGT volume control which works amazing well when you don't listen with the volume knob turned even past the midway mark. The diamond stage is now being upgraded into their flagship KXR20 after being introduced in the 5 series.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HT bypass, high current, remote