Photo

Free-To-Air Aerial Works Into Foxtel Iq But Not Other Devices?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hi,

I have Foxtel by satellite. I also have a free-to-air antenna on the roof. The antenna feeds into the Foxtel IQ.

I have tried to run that antenna into a Avermedia TV tuner on my PC and it didn't pick up a signal. I then ran it into a second-hand Nextwave PVR I borrowed and it didn't work.

If I remove the cable, the free-to-air channels disappear from Foxtel, so I know the antenna works.

Is there any reason why the free-to-air channels will play through the Foxtel unit but not in the other devices? Is the Foxtel unit good at picking up weak signals? Or is it more likely there are faults with both the TV card and the PVR?

#2 JDogg

JDogg

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Do you have a masthead amplifier? If so, is the power injector plugged in?

#3 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.  

I don't know for sure - was all installed about 5 or 6 years ago.  Is split to 4 different points, although I am only currently using 2 and the other one of those is working fine playing to a Sony 46" LCD in another room.  

I don't really understand antenna stuff but I believe a masthead amplifier would be close to the antenna?   Hopefully its inside the roof as I can't really see the antenna from the ground.  All our cables are run through a room in the middle of the house - I think that is where the cable is split-off to the 4 points, but I presume that the amp wouldn't be there?  

I will have a look tonight at home and see what I can figure out.

#4 timj

timj

DTV Forums Member

• 537 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Maybe he power injector (for the mast-head amp) is missing.
Maybe the IQ is supplying some voltage to said amp.

#5 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Given its been 6 years and I don't have any great awareness of the device, I think there is every chance the power supply to the power injector could have been unplugged or switched off at some point - assuming its something that would be connected to a normal power outlet...

#6 JDogg

JDogg

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Before I continue, I should mention that I initially assumed that the TV tuner was connected to an outlet that is known to be working (Foxtel box or LCD TV works with). Assuming I was right:

1. Does disconnecting the Foxtel box affect the TV in the other room?
2. Was either device in use (supplying it's own power) when you tried the TV tuner?

Most people could split their signal four ways without an amplifier, so you might not even have one installed. I've had my share of indoor amplified antennas and amplified splitters (no masthead amps though) and, in every case, the signal was weaker when the power was cut than what you'd get from an unamplified equivalent. An amplifier is something that can get in the way, so it's best to make sure one isn't there (or if one is, is working) before grasping the even shorter straws.

I just checked every tuner in my house (5 in total). Only one could supply any voltage (had to manually enable the "antenna feed 5V" option too), but it only supplied 0.5A. It'd be a stretch to power anything with 2.5W - especially with all the cable loss.

Maybe the signal really is weak and you were lucky enough to have two devices that could work with it. An indoor antenna amplifier might work, but I wouldn't recommend plonking down the $40+ they cost to find out. Can the IQ or TV provide any statistics? Both strength and quality are important. Low strength can be boosted. Low quality will result in lots of breakups. High strength can overload the tuner, but very few people live that close to the tower.

Edited by JDogg, 10 April 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#7 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Not sure on either of those questions, its possible the kids could have been watching TV when I was trying to get it to work.  I will test those scenarios.  

I might also move the PVR into the other room to check if it works on the signal there.