itunes lossless music apple

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

As you may know, I have a Marantz NA 11 s1, and I am keen to explore my itunes collection and make use of the USB port to stream music.

There are so many choices such as jriver, Audionirvana Plus, etc

Can someone recommend something that has:

Simple user interface
Can playback all the known music formats and do it well
Not frightfully expensive
No extra drivers needed

I am using a Macbook pro with OS 10.7, an external HDD, and the above mentioned DAC.

Thank you

#2 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

These are some formats I got off another forum:
http://www.head-fi.o...tives-to-itunes

Amarra by Sonic Studio
http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/
Commercial, demo available for download.
Comes in three flavours: Amarra, Amarra Mini and Amarra Junior with varying features and prices. The player integrates with iTunes, or can be used stand-alone importing tracks into a playlist with one click from the Finder or iTunes. For people with a lot of RAM in their computer, it can be used in cache mode where the files are loaded into memory before playback. Includes iZotope resampling software. However, the licence either requires an iLok USB key or the software is locked to a single computer which can't be transferred.

audirvana
Free, Open Source
http://code.google.com/p/audirvana/
The first player to offer a window that looks like a piece of hi-fi gear, it offers device "hog mode" and up-sampling by default. The feature list is otherwise fairly basic at present.

BitPerfect
Commercial
http://itunes.apple....5700?ls=1&mt=12
Integrating with iTunes, this software sits in your menu bar and feeds music via Integer Mode to your DAC. Great if you want a simple and cheap solution while still using iTunes.

Clementine Player
http://code.google.c...mentine-player/
Free (Open Source based on Amarok 1.4)
This multi-platform player is more of a music organiser than anything, with features geared in that direction (such as having LastFM support), rather than having any audiophile settings. Thankfully, unlike other multi-platform applications, it isn't Java based (using Qt instead), so the user interface is fast.

Decibel by Steven F Booth
http://sbooth.org/Decibel/
Commercial.
The developer of Play produced a basic, high-quality music player known as AyreWave in conjunction with Ayre. This has now dropped any association with them and has been renamed Decibel. The software itself, while basic, allows one-click importing from files selected in the Finder or iTunes, "hog mode".

Ecoute by PixiApps
http://www.pixiapps.com/ecoute/
Comercial
With iTunes integration, including song rating and metadata support, this is the player for people who want a slick, theme-able one-window interface and want to share your listening habits on Twitter, Facebook or LastFM. It also supports the Apple remote control.

Fidelia by Audiophile Engineering
http://audiofile-eng...ng.com/fidelia/
Commercial.
With a main window that looks like a piece of high-end hi-fi gear, but far more classy than that of audirvana, it has the ability to play music directly from iTunes playlists without needing to have iTunes running. Also included are a selection of on-the-fly resampling methods, including iZotope and remote control software for the iPhone and iPod Touch available in the App Store.

Play by Steven F Booth
http://sbooth.org/Play
Free.
Until recently, almost the only alternative to iTunes if you wanted a simple music player and nothing else. Allows access to the built-in Mac OS X audio effects filters, which can be very handy if you want a 31-band equaliser, high-pass filter or the like. Since all this is incorporated into Decibel it is probably more worth it to download that instead.

Pure Music by Channel D
http://www.channld.c...usic/index.html
Commercial, demo available for download.
Based upon Pure Vinyl and using its own playback engine, like Amarra, integrates with iTunes, running in a window alongside and can re-sample music on the fly. Unlike Amarra, it requires iTunes to be running to select tracks, but offers a considerable slew of other options.

Songbird
http://www.getsongbird.com/
Free.
More a multi-platform internet connected media library project by previous Firefox, Netscape and Winamp developers, it might be easier to consider Songbird to music what Thunderbird is to email, yet a lot more, with online integration.

Swinsian
http://swinsian.com
Commercial, 30 day trial period.
Designed to entirely replace iTunes, including iDevice sync support. It has, among other features Last.fm integration, watch folders, device sync transcoding rules, a duplicate finder and Airplay support.

Vox by Alessio Nonni
http://www.voxapp.didgeroo.com
Free (donations requested).
Much the same as Play, a slowly developed app that does little more than just play music with a minimal footprint. Like Play, it gives access to in-built Mac OS X audio effects filters.

#3 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,175 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

So you got the rear USB port working now or not?

Anyway, try Amarok.. It's free, and it works on OS-X. This requires OS-X to see your NA-11S1 as a audio device (i.e. you still need a system driver to do so)...
Edit:
MPD also has MacOSX build.. But they're not the latest). <- This one does DSD over PCM.

Edited by myrantz, 30 March 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#4 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,112 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Nope, the USB doesn't work with the iTunes on a Mac, that's why I need such a software..

#5 sirhc55

sirhc55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

I have the Marantz NA7004 the lesser brother to the S1. What I have done is this: I attached a dedicated head drive to my Mac system to hold all of my audio files. I then googled to see if I could put an iTunes folder on my external audio hard drive - the answer is yes you can. I then installed VOX on the Mac and when I want to listen to music I start VOX which I airplay connect to the Marantz via iTunes on the music hard drive and voila - music controlled from my desktop.

I also have the music files on a NAS for direct connection through the NA7004.

#6 Upstairs116

Upstairs116

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Can you use the Marantz app available for your phone/mobile device and control the USB port via that?  This may be too basic for what you're chasing...

I just spent a week importing my CD's into iTunes (not at the highest rate - think I'd still be importing them now if that was the case).  From there I syncronised my iPod (classic 160gb) and have it connected to my AVR (through the dock, but USB port would also work and I believe then use the AVR DAC?.  Whenever I create a playlist in iTunes, i re-sync the iPod and can then access everything from the AVR remote (or smartphone/device). This also works with airplay direct from the Macbook Pro we use.  I also use an external HDD to backup this data.

Not sure if this is what you want, but for me, for now, this method was free (already had the iPod and external HDD) and it's working pretty well.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by Upstairs116, 01 July 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#7 doggiehowser

doggiehowser

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

JRiver is available on Mac now.

It will upsample everything to DSD2x if you prefer (it sounds better to me on my Teac UD501 and the Playback MPS-5). 

It will run in Direct/Integer modes.

It will read and playback just about every known format.

You have to purchase the JRemote app on the iPad/iOS but it loads the album art vs dynamically refreshing them on Apple's free Remote app. 

JRemote even allows you to stream your JRiver library to the iPad/iPhone.

#8 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,800 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I use Audirvana plus from my mac mini via usb to my audio-gd, it hurts when you pay for it but the sound is definitely worth it.

Edited by com5984, 01 July 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#9 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Winamp user for years! not sure if its mac compatible google it :)

#10 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

if you have the Marantz why are you looking for software? iTunes compatibility?

If you really want to pursue this and I know your looking for software and don't want expensive, but I have one word for your, SONOS

Get a connect, Plug connect into Marantz via digital so uses Marantz DACs, then use SONOS software to control music playback. Its a doubling up, but its way better than a software approach, and you could if you wanted, sell the Marantz because your only using its DACs and the SONOS can just as easily do it on its own. 

#11 Dr X

Dr X

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

Its a doubling up, but its way better than a software approach, and you could if you wanted, sell the Marantz because your only using its DACs and the SONOS can just as easily do it on its own. 

Uh oh, why is a SONOS better than a software approach? Before replying you may want to read the JRiver feature list.

EDIT: Not to mention having a PC as part of one's HT setup provides lots of benefits.

Edited by Dr X, 03 July 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#12 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Uh oh, why is a SONOS better than a software approach? Before replying you may want to read the JRiver feature list.
EDIT: Not to mention having a PC as part of one's HT setup provides lots of benefits.

Because you dont have to install anything, other than the app on devices you want to use as a controller.

Basically plug the connect unit in and throw it at the back of the hifi gear, and other than a rare press of the buton to add a new controller device,you never have to see or touch it again

Assuming mac install, Jriver has to be installed to the mac and the mac has to be on to use it, regardless of weather the collection is on the laptop or not and regardless if using a remote device or not.

If adding a HTPC to the setup, that's another additional cost and then more than SONOS plus another box to "manage" and as far as I can see the only goal was to play an itunes library.

All you really need is the marantz unit just to support itunes.

Just had a look at the unit and it says

With AirPlay you can stream from your iTunes library or any iDevice such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.

So it doesn't look like you need anything? What is your actual goal here?

You may not need to do anything other that change some settings

Edited by K1LL3M, 03 July 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#13 Dr X

Dr X

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Ah, so it's not necessarily BETTER, just in your opinion it's EASIER to setup.

My HTPC is my computer, not an additional one.

You can get a PC laptop at around the price of a SONOS (OK probably a bit more) but it will do a whole lot more.

Anyway, installing and configuring software isn't necessarily hard if you know what you're doing; it can also be fun and educational along the way.

Because you dont have to install anything, other than the app on devices you want to use as a controller.

Basically plug the connect unit in and throw it at the back of the hifi gear, and other than a rare press of the buton to add a new controller device,you never have to see or touch it again

Assuming mac install, Jriver has to be installed to the mac and the mac has to be on to use it, regardless of weather the collection is on the laptop or not and regardless if using a remote device or not.

If adding a HTPC to the setup, that's another additional cost and then more than SONOS plus another box to "manage" and as far as I can see the only goal was to play an itunes library.

Edited by Dr X, 03 July 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#14 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Ah, so it's not necessarily BETTER, just in your opinion it's EASIER to setup.
My HTPC is my computer, not an additional one.
You can get a PC laptop at around the price of a SONOS (OK probably a bit more) but it will do a whole lot more.
Anyway, installing and configuring software isn't necessarily hard if you know what you're doing; it can also be fun and educational along the way.

No, I stand by my opinion that its way BETTER than a software approach in this case. but you know that its OK that you still have your opinion and mine being different in no way lessen your validity, they dont have to be the same.

Edited by K1LL3M, 03 July 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#15 Dr X

Dr X

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

No, I stand by my opinion that its way BETTER than a software approach in this case.

Sure, but once again you haven't given any reason why it's BETTER.

If you think EASIER TO SETUP means it's BETTER then so be it.

I already have a HTPC setup and from where I'm sitting a SONOS would be an expensive downgrade.

But of course the OP may think differently and choose to go with what you've suggested.

#16 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,175 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

I am using a Macbook pro with OS 10.7, an external HDD, and the above mentioned DAC.

Not sure if this is your thing, but you can try volumio + Raspberry Pi (rev B ) or BeagleBoard. i.e. do without the notebook computer.

Had a quick play a few weeks ago, matched to a DDD1794, and I reckon it has some potential. Hopefully BeagleBoard will be better as the Pi can struggle with high res material (note this is tested with my A Pi so maybe rev B will not have this issue).

volumio is using MPD and has options to configure DoP (DSD over PCM) right at the web pages... It's DoP should work with the NA11S1, and you can get to play all known formats this way. With DSD playback though, make sure to mute the volume (JIC the DAC sees it as PCM). Unmute only after you confirmed the DAC shows DSD in the screen. 

In a way this will be the best of both worlds (like a SONOS, but also like a computer)... You'd get the benefits of both, and the pains at the same time :P...

#17 agelessgoodguy

agelessgoodguy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

been using JRiver 19 since it was issued about a year or more ago and ver 18 before that, simply does everything and has file conversion programs as well so nothing can't be played, updates come through about every 2 weeks or so, sure it costs about $50 or so but its constantly getting bigger and better IMHO. :)

#18 Tweedledum

Tweedledum

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi, I don't know if this is in the same frame, but if I want to play any of my collection of music, from CD's, tape, MP3's or other, I stored them on USB flash drives......now going to a 1 terabyte hard drive, and just plug it/them into the front USB port of my ONKYO receiver.......hard drive content displayed on TV screen or just listening with the TV turned off once the relative music file is located.

The files are arranged into music types like 50's rock, classical guitar, vocals, instrumentals or classical stuff like opera etc.

With over 500 tracks it can play for days non stop......LOL.

Ian.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: itunes, lossless music, apple