• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Can anyone recommend a good antenna man in my area. We took a lightning strike nearby yesterday afternoon and now I'm hardly getting any signal down from the antenna. Don't have an amp of any kind so something inside the antenna itself must have fried.

#2 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Liz,
It is more likely that the cable and or the receiver are fried. You should be able to see melted plastic if its on the antenna with a decent strike. It often punches holes in plastic.

I suggest you connect another receiver to that antenna point or take the receiver to a different house and try it there.

Alanh

#3 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Alan but the TV connected to the antenna and everything connected to the TV was destroyed in the strike. I have connected a new TV to the antenna and there is a very poor signal making it through. The cable looks fine and the antenna looks much as it did before Saturday arvo though it is 5 meters above the top of the roof so close inspection is out of the question. I really need an installer who knows what he is doing to bring it down and check it. Sadly the industry seems to have lots cowboys now so would be nice to find a good installer.

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I could suggest that you go to http://www.digitalready.gov.au and search for endorsed installers. At least they have to have an expensive meter to measure signal strength and the error rate caused by breaks in the cable and reflected signals.

Alanh

#5 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

The endorsed antenna installer's scheme finished on the 31st December 2013.

Perhaps you could find someone in the Star's classifieds.

#6 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Thanks guys I was hoping one of the reputable installers who are normally around this forum may have been interested in the job. Obviously not so I'll take pot luck out of the phone book and hope I get someone half decent.

#7 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sorry double post

Edited by lizclinton, 18 March 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#8 jw24

jw24

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

We rang Jims Antennas & they were very good

#9 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts