• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mongchacha

mongchacha

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hi

I bought a Crest CIDA11 antenna hoping it will work as an indoor antenna for a room that does not have TV aerial socket. It succesfully scan SBS and TVS but not any other digital channels. I've tried to face the antenna to Willoughby direction (that's where my outdoor antenna point to) but still only SBS and TVS. Reading from other threads looks like I can scan UHF channels but not successful with lower frequency VHF channels.

Is there anything I should try before giving up on this indoor antenna? Will a rabbit ear type antenna help?

Thanks
Mongchacha

#2 mongchacha

mongchacha

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

BTW, live in a townhouse around Panania and no tall buildings surround and quite flat in terrain, so not too much obstructions.

Thanks
Mongchacha

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Try Rabbits ears, with them both horizontal and a total tip to tip length of 746 mm. They should be at right angles to a line between you and Artarmon.
Best closest to an outside wall even better on the north side. You can add antenna cable to extend the run using an female to female adaptor.

Alanh

#4 mongchacha

mongchacha

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

thanks Alanh, is there any particular brand/model of rabbit ear i should look for?

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

They are all identical, so get the cheapest price. Even better go to a store with a 7 day return policy so you can take it back if it doesn't work. If the antenna has a plug pack it contains an amplifier which will only help if the signal is weak. It does not reduce the effect of reflected signals around the room.

Alanh

#6 mongchacha

mongchacha

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

thx Alanh!

#7 mongchacha

mongchacha

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Hi Alanh

I've bought the rabbit ear and tried on. SBS is still the best and there are some luck on Channel 7 although I have to change the facing angle a bit (prob by 5 to 10 degree east). Not so successful on other channels (intermittent for Channel 9 when widening the tip to tip but haven't found a really successful angle or length yet). Are all channels supposed to be having tip to tip length at 746mm?

Thx
mongchacha

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

The following transmission channels are used by the main transmitters in Sydney
7 network channel 6, 842 mm
SBS channel 7, 810 mm
Nine Network channel 8, 781 mm
TEN network channel 11, 681 mm
ABC network channel 12, 660 mm
TVS community UHF TV channel 29, 279 mm
The value I gave you is an average over band 3 which is used here

Channels 9 and 9A are reserved for digital radio and channel 10 is unallocated

Keep in mind that usually the 7 and 10 networks are transmitted from Artarmon, ABC/SBS Gore Hill and Nine in Willoughby.

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 17 March 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#9 mongchacha

mongchacha

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

oh no... after the retune... SBS is gone. one stupid question, should the rabbit ear be in v-shape or form a straight line? (and then horizontal and perpendicular to the straight line through to Artamon)

Thx
mongchacha