• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#276 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,589 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

MJ57,

Have you tried my suggestion of getting a much longer HDMI cable and physically separating the Blu-ray player by at least a couple of metres?
The problem is that like computers there is a lot of frey quick switching happening inside the Blu-ray player. This causes interference. It is not helped through the use of double insulated devices.

Unless you have a very weak TV signal from the antenna, it will have no effect on this.

AlanH

#277 mjt57

mjt57

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

MJ57,

Have you tried my suggestion of getting a much longer HDMI cable and physically separating the Blu-ray player by at least a couple of metres?

Hi Alan.

Yes, that was one of the first things that I did.

It sits about a metre above the other gear.

Now, if I move the Pana, say 20mm to one side or if I push it back say 20mm on the shelf then the reception problems emerge. Mostly it's on OneHD or Ten Vic or Eleven. But sometimes I might see it on WIN, Go or GEM. ABC sometimes plays up, too.

Thing is, the Austar box a MystarHD has no problems whatsoever. All devices are connected to the TV via HDMI, cables which cost me $20 each in Officeworks.

#278 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

MJT57
What town or suburb are you in?

AlanH

#279 mjt57

mjt57

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

MJT57
What town or suburb are you in?

Latrobe Valley, 160 km east of Melbourne.

Mount Tassie is where our TV transmitters are. I'm about 15-20 km away, line of sight when I am up on the roof.

#280 mjt57

mjt57

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Just a quick update for anyone interested.

The other day I was up on the roof cleaning gutters. I noticed that a neighbor's tree had been cut back. It allowed me to see Mt Tassie properly. I soon discovered that my antenna was pointing about 20 degrees off to one side.

I lined it back up with where I think the transmitters are. Later on, after finishing my work I fired up the Panny.

It's all working perfectly now.

#281 coola32

coola32

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an installer for Cardigan Village near Ballarat?

Also what price would I be looking at? I suppose I should go on their recommendation of type of aerial?

I would normally have a go at installation, but have so much to do and don't feel comfortable due to the weather.

Regards

DK.

#282 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,589 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

DK,
I do not know the exact location, however remember that there is a new translator in East Ballarat, as well as the main transmitter at Lookout Hill.
As for installers use one of these Endorsed Digital Installer

AlanH

#283 coola32

coola32

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

DK,
I do not know the exact location, however remember that there is a new translator in East Ballarat, as well as the main transmitter at Lookout Hill.

AlanH

Thanks for the info Alan.

Cheers

DK.

#284 KE70

KE70

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have two double storey properties that will be needing antennas. I am approx 20kms line of sight to the CBD (Northern subs).
The rough in is 5 antenna points of which 4 will be connected via a splitter. The fifth one is there just incase, I don't want it dropping the signal even more. I was hoping to get away without using an amp. Rest of setup is RG6 quad sheild and compressed fittings.

What I need to know is where I can buy some decent priced antennas and mounting poles for tiled roofs? I don't really want to buy some crap from Bunnings or Dick smith.

Any suggestions for stores that sell good quality antennas and mounting equipment? online or retail.

I might be needing another antenna for my parents cabin in Warranga, any recommendations with ones that will work in regional areas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT- Sorry i was meant to post this in the Melbourne section. I guess the Warranga bit is still relevant.

Edited by KE70, 29 September 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#285 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

I have two double storey properties that will be needing antennas. I am approx 20kms line of sight to the CBD (Northern subs).
The rough in is 5 antenna points of which 4 will be connected via a splitter. The fifth one is there just incase, I don't want it dropping the signal even more. I was hoping to get away without using an amp. Rest of setup is RG6 quad sheild and compressed fittings.

What I need to know is where I can buy some decent priced antennas and mounting poles for tiled roofs? I don't really want to buy some crap from Bunnings or Dick smith.

Any suggestions for stores that sell good quality antennas and mounting equipment? online or retail.

I might be needing another antenna for my parents cabin in Warranga, any recommendations with ones that will work in regional areas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT- Sorry i was meant to post this in the Melbourne section. I guess the Warranga bit is still relevant.

The type of antenna will depend on signals at the location.

Line of site to the Melb CBD is irrelevant, as you need to point the antenna at Mt Dandenong, so it's the signal path from the houses locations to Mt Dandenong that's important.

Laceys.TV, Hills Industries, etc have quality antennas and various mounting options and much better than Bunnings and DSE.

Once again, without signal measurements from the installation addresses, I couldn't recommend a specific antenna, but a general all-round performer for metro areas is the Fracarro LP34F.

For Waranga, Shepparton (Mt Major) is likely to be the best transmission site, for which you'll need a single cross-polarised Ch 9 & UHF antenna, or separate Band 3 & 5 antennas combined with a diplexer.

#286 andrewlace

andrewlace

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

If you're east so where exactly are you? This will help in determining what aerial to use. Often areas near the city suffer from reflected signals (ghosting). Or the CBD blocks the signals. Depending on where you are the como building has it's own transmitter. You may need an amplifier. This depends on how much signal you can get.
In wangara I'd be thinking separate aerials and a duplexes or amp with separate UHF and VHF inputs. The am210 al as is a personal fave. Cross pole antennas cost a bomb and generally don't work well. If you can live without win go for UHF only. It's always easier to get someone to test properly.
:mellow:

The type of antenna will depend on signals at the location.

Line of site to the Melb CBD is irrelevant, as you need to point the antenna at Mt Dandenong, so it's the signal path from the houses locations to Mt Dandenong that's important.

Laceys.TV, Hills Industries, etc have quality antennas and various mounting options and much better than Bunnings and DSE.

Once again, without signal measurements from the installation addresses, I couldn't recommend a specific antenna, but a general all-round performer for metro areas is the Fracarro LP34F.

For Waranga, Shepparton (Mt Major) is likely to be the best transmission site, for which you'll need a single cross-polarised Ch 9 & UHF antenna, or separate Band 3 & 5 antennas combined with a diplexer.

#287 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,589 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Just keep in mind, that when the digital dividend restack happens by the end of 2014, the need for cross polarised antennas will disappear and all the transmitters on that site will be on consecutive RF channels. When it is highly likely that WIN will go to UHF with the others. Date of conversion unknown.

AlanH

#288 bensl

bensl

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

DK,

AlanH

i am having terrible trouble with my reception here in Ballarat. i can only really watch wintv without putting up with breakups.

do u know now where the translator is located in Ballarat East? i have googled but i cant find any info. i thought maybe i would try facing the antenna towards that instead of Lookout Hill.

Edited by bensl, 16 February 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#289 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

i am having terrible trouble with my reception here in Ballarat. i can only really watch wintv without putting up with breakups.

do u know now where the translator is located in Ballarat East? i have googled but i cant find any info. i thought maybe i would try facing the antenna towards that instead of Lookout Hill.

You have a low power RBA site (Walker St) in Ballarat, Buninyong Hill to the sth and Lookout Hill to the North West - plenty of options. I guess it really depends on you actual location. I'm a transmitter guy so I don't get involved with viewer issues but there are plenty of experienced installers on this site who can lend assistance.

#290 bensl

bensl

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

thanks for that. i am in ballarat central (close to the 2 big supermarkets if u know the town) and in a notoriously bad reception area according to the few antenna blokes i have spoken to. i bought a new antenna a few years ago and have a booster installed in the roof but reception is still poor. would it be worth pulling the antenna down and rotating it to face bunninyong or walker street?? i have it pointing at lookout hill atm.

thanks again.

#291 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Stump, I wasn't aware of any digital translators for Ballarat.

Do you have frequencies, power, exact locations etc?

Buninyong had analogue translators but I am not aware they were upgraded to digital.... and I've never heard of translators in Walker St, so more info would be helpful.

Other than that, it leaves the main TX site of Lookout Hill.

bensl,

Was you antenna professionally installed, with the installer performing a signal site survey to determine the most suitable antenna, mounting location and height?

You are in a tricky spot, so antenna mounting position can make a huge difference.

#292 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,813 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

You have a low power RBA site (Walker St) in Ballarat

ACMA details

#293 bensl

bensl

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

bensl,

Was you antenna professionally installed, with the installer performing a signal site survey to determine the most suitable antenna, mounting location and height?

You are in a tricky spot, so antenna mounting position can make a huge difference.

no, when i bought the house the owners were on analogue so i simply replaced the old antenna with a Fracarro PU4A UHF (as recommeded by somone here). I rang a few antenna installers but when i mentioned where i live they said it was the worst tv 'black spot' in town and there was not much they could do.

that was a few years ago now so i might ring around again to see if anything has changed.

cheers

#294 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

ACMA details

I know the location well. :)

I'm just not aware of translator equipment installed at the location or that it has ever operated.

This is often the case where licenses exist (as per the ACMA link) but the physical service doesn't.

Can you provide any confirmation of the operation of these translators?

#295 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I know the location well. :)

I'm just not aware of translator equipment installed at the location or that it has ever operated.

This is often the case where licenses exist (as per the ACMA link) but the physical service doesn't.

It's a low power translator at the WIN studio installed for RBA, activated in Dec 2010. Transmits all DTV services:
781.5MHz (PRIME)
739.5MHz (WIN)
760.5MHz (SCB)
802.5MHz (ABC)
718.5MHz (SBS)

#296 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,589 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

The estimated coverage area is http://myswitch.digi...ker St Ballarat

The transmitter 207 Walker St Ballarat East.

The problem with experience is it does not account for change

AlanH

#297 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,813 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm aware of that. It happens in Tasmania as well.

I find mySwitch accurate for my purposes. :) Others may have a different experience.

The problem with experience is it does not account for change

Yer not wrong there. Half the problem is knowing of what you post:

Ballarat East coverage

#298 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Interesting that they are not listed in the ACMA radio & TV Stations book.

The only ones listed for Ballarat are the main Lookout Hill TX.

VTV37 Commercial 592.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1156397

Broadcast Tower LOOKOUT HILL

BCV40 Commercial 613.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1384098

ABC41 National 620.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1935133

SBS43 National 634.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1935095

AMV46 Commercial 655.5 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1384011

Edited by mtv, 17 February 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#299 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Interesting that they are not listed in the ACMA radio & TV Stations book.

The only ones listed for Ballarat are the main Lookout Hill TX.

VTV37 Commercial 592.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1156397

BCV40 Commercial 613.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1384098

ABC41 National 620.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1935133

SBS43 National 634.625 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1935095

AMV46 Commercial 655.5 H DA 500k 37 17 2 143 14 47 1384011

Probably still catching up...I know it's there (Ballarat RBA site that is) and on because I'm responsible for it (maintenance wise).

#300 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Probably still catching up...I know it's there (Ballarat RBA site that is) and on because I'm responsible for it (maintenance wise).

Excellent.... I'll do some signal checks in the area when I'm there next.