Get The Best Reception Regional Victoria

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

Edited by alanh, 25 March 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#2 frederick

frederick

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

Digital television transmission from Albert Park, Warrnambool, often goes off. Last night SBS was off and on for the entire evening. 24th November, 2007. sometimes its ABC, and or other chanels.

#3 waz_

waz_

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

any idea what's up with gippsland HD, all I seem to get is the demo, was looknig forward to some HD Black Hawk Down tonight, but still only Demo

#4 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,947 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

any idea what's up with gippsland HD, all I seem to get is the demo, was looknig forward to some HD Black Hawk Down tonight, but still only Demo

There's nothing wrong with SC10 HD, the Demo Loop is normal for when Native HD is unavailable and SC10 currently is unable to broadcast the alternate programming due to the need for extra HD Encoders.

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

federick,
Unless there has been some unusual power problems in your area, it would seem you are only just getting enough signal.
Follow the instructions in the first post in this strand.

AlanH

#6 guppy

guppy

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

Does anyone know if you can get the ten HD or the 7HD channels in the Warrnambool area or are they still demo signals.
I want to buy a HD stb to watch Scifi thurs on tenHD.
If its demo signals how long do we have to wait for the upgrade? :angry:

#7 joshl

joshl

AV Forum Member

• 16 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

Just curious about some rumours going round about digital tv from mt dandenong and the actual output.

is it true that the signal is only running at 50% and will be boosted to 100% when then analogue tv siginal is turned off.

or is that just anouther vicious rumour going out by local tv antenna installers

#8 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Not true.

Running on full power now.

#9 Sam3280

Sam3280

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

Does anyone know if you can get the ten HD or the 7HD channels in the Warrnambool area or are they still demo signals.
I want to buy a HD stb to watch Scifi thurs on tenHD.
If its demo signals how long do we have to wait for the upgrade? :angry:

Hi, 7HD is broadcast in Warrnambool by PRIME the only difference is that there is a PRIME HD watermark otherwise it is the same as 7HD. tenHD isn't yet broadcast by Southern Cross Ten anywhere yet but will be later this year i'm not sure when. WIN will probably show breakaway shows once 9HD starts which isn't expected until March once they have there HD suite setup.

#10 Sam3280

Sam3280

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hi,
Does anybody know if any channels are digital in Pyramid Hill?
Thanks

#11 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

Sam3280,

I answered this question in your other thread (which BTW, was in the correct forum) :)

Although the Goschen (Murray Valley) transmitters are closer, the signals into Pyramid Hill are stronger from Mt Alexander (Bendigo)

All networks are on digital.

You will require a wideband (UHF Bands 4 & 5) antenna, horizontally polarised.

Signal levels from Mt Alexander in Pyramid Hill vary, but can often be received ok without an amp.

It would depend on the particular location, antenna and how it's installed, number of outlets etc, but generally speaking, reception there is usually quite ok.

#12 tvdenied

tvdenied

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

:angry2: Great and comprehensive response. But why oh why would a Victorian viewer wish to receive the ABC for NT,Channel 7 from Townsville and Imparja for the NT. Most are off the right time zone. With the exception of SBS all the news and current affairs are parochial and irrelevant to Victorians. How can Victorians without a Local feed gain access to Victorian TV channels from the Satellite? Are they not there? They are certainly available on Foxtel but not on Austar. What am I missing as a new member.
tvdenied

#13 tvdenied

tvdenied

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

:excl: Shows as a new member to be careful last post referred to Alanh original post dated feb 05
sorry
tvdenied

#14 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

TV Denied,

I have written those posts for every area of Australia in 2005. The basic facts have not changed. The links to the state tables, ie. Victoria are much more recent.

Free to air satellite only transmits the following signals.
Eastern and central Australia. ABC & SBS and Impaja with 7 Central.
WA ABC, SBS, GWN and WIN.

There are no other free to air signals. So if there is no ground based signals this is the only other source of free to air TV & radio.

For example there are ground based repeaters for this satellite signal at Apollo Bay and in some of the isolated mountain areas, where no one wishes to pay for the additional equipment to feed these tiny transmitters.

AlanH

#15 Dazman

Dazman

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hi all,

My parents are getting a digital Samsung in Bendigo soon. So they decided to went off to Dick Smith and get some new coax, a splitter box with amp and a new antenna instead of their rabbit ears :-) We found that we can get all the analogue channels very clear except Prime (Ch7) was less clear (say 80%) of the others). Sure, this probably doesn't matter when they get a digital telly anyhow (and set top boxes for a couple of other rooms) but wondered if anyone else had seem the same thing in Bendigo (from Mt Alexander)? It was strange that just one channel seemed to be so different from the others.

The are on a hill and have a direct view of Mt Alexander in the distance !

A mate said he'd heard that there was news of some reception probs on analogue TV due to the introduction of digital... but this could be just chinese whispers.

Daz

#16 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

My parents are getting a digital Samsung in Bendigo soon. So they decided to went off to Dick Smith and get some new coax, a splitter box with amp and a new antenna instead of their rabbit ears :-) We found that we can get all the analogue channels very clear except Prime (Ch7) was less clear (say 80%) of the others).

Daz,

As your parents have line of sight to the transmitters, (Mt Alexander) they will have very stong signals.

They will not require an amp, as it will cause tuner-overload.

Prime digital (Ch 31) does affect Prime analogue (Ch 32) on some receivers, do to very high signal levels.

First, remove the amp.

Then if the interference to Prime analogue still exists, you will need to attenuate the signal levels further.

Attenuation fixes the problem. The amount of attenuation will depend on the level of the signals, but as a guide, 6-12dB usually works.

Without accurate signal measurements, you may need to experiment with attenuation levels, or you could try a variable attenuator (I think Jaycar sell them).

Getting the levels right can be tricky at the moment, due to ABC digital being on reduced power, so if you attenuate the signals too much, you may lose ABC digital.

Another method is to use a notch filter, tuned to reduce only channel 31 and not affect other channels.

#17 Dazman

Dazman

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Thanks Col - will give that a go !

Daz

#18 sardonyx

sardonyx

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hi iam sorry if i am putting this in the wrong place i am having trouble getting abc and abc2 on my centrex stb i am using a Uhf phased array tv antenna that was recommended for digitalin bendigo .I am in the kennington strathdale area have good connections etc and and getting 100% on the signal just qualityis nil as i am in a rental place i don't really want to spend a fortune. but as all the others channels are fine this is driving me insane.please help
Tasha

#19 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:42 AM

Tasha,

You have the correct area of the forum for your question. :)

Kennington / Strathdale can be a very difficult area for reception, as One Tree Hill blocks the signals from Mt Alexander.

The phased array antenna is a good choice for the area, however, in your area, it can be critical where the antenna is mounted, to obtain the best signal quality (eg: lowest Bit Error Ratio).

ABC (Mt Alexander) is currently transmitting on reduced power, which causes their signals to be below the rest. This lower-level is probably the cause of your problem and can often be overcome with a low-powered amp or amplified splitter.

Without accurate signal measurements, it's difficult to make a recommendation.

If you amplify the ABC signals, there is a risk of increasing the other channels signals too much, causing tuner-overload and loss of reception.

#20 macaholic

macaholic

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Hi.
Sorry if I missed something here but is there adequate free-to-air digital coverage in Woori Yallock, Vic, 3139?
See maps here and here.
Thanks.

#21 tamago_otoko

tamago_otoko

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

Hi.
Sorry if I missed something here but is there adequate free-to-air digital coverage in Woori Yallock, Vic, 3139?
See maps here and here.
Thanks.

According to the ABC website, Woori Yallock can either get Melbourne TV from Mt Dandenong (if terrain in between is not an issue), or maybe might be able to pick up signals from a repeater in Warburton. Don't know the area personally. Do you have analogue TV currently? Because you should be able to get digital from the same transmitter site.

#22 ben1805

ben1805

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hi I live in ballarat delacombe and have a soniq 42" plasma with built in digital tuner
I dont know of this is a reception fault or not but channel win and win HD the picture
will freeze up and the sound will keep going, also alot of shows on prime like afl football
will have like a ghost effect around the players and if there is alot of action it will go all
blocky, My arial is in the roof of my house dont know if that makes a differance
any help would be good.

#23 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

ben1805,

It sounds like you have insufficient 'quality' signal reaching your tuner.

You need to ensure the antenna you are using is the correct type for Ballarat digital channels, either a band 5 UHF or wideband UHF, pointed at Lookout Hill.

It's difficult to advise without accurate signal measurements.

#24 ben1805

ben1805

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

ben1805,

It sounds like you have insufficient 'quality' signal reaching your tuner.

You need to ensure the antenna you are using is the correct type for Ballarat digital channels, either a band 5 UHF or wideband UHF, pointed at Lookout Hill.

It's difficult to advise without accurate signal measurements.

How do i work out what type of arial i have it was installed in the house
when i built it and was worth $260 so should be ok
would it work better if it was out side the roof on a pole?

#25 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

How do i work out what type of arial i have it was installed in the house
when i built it and was worth $260 so should be ok
would it work better if it was out side the roof on a pole?

Cost means nothing if you have purchased the wrong type of antenna for your area and if you paid $250 for just the antenna, then you got ripped off.

If you paid for the installation, then you got ripped off anyway, as the antenna MUST be mounted ON the roof, after a site test to determine the best mounting position which receives the most reliable digital signals.

If you can tell me the make and model of the antenna, I can tell you if it's suitable or not.