• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#176 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

I finally got around to giving the Nevermind disc a run. I found the DTS-HD track probably the most dynamic but later in the disc each time a new song start it just played massive distorted noise. I'd switch audio tracks and all good. Not sure if it's a disc issue or device related. I'm running an Oppo 103D on latest firmware into a Denon X-4000

#177 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

I finally got around to giving the Nevermind disc a run. I found the DTS-HD track probably the most dynamic but later in the disc each time a new song start it just played massive distorted noise. I'd switch audio tracks and all good. Not sure if it's a disc issue or device related. I'm running an Oppo 103D on latest firmware into a Denon X-4000

Try having the Oppo decode to PCM - sounds like a disc authoring issue.

#178 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

It was fine on PCM and TrueHd Quark. Just the issue with DTS-HD

#179 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,462 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

I think what was being suggested was to play the DTS-HD track but with the player set to decode the DTS-HD to LPCM, rather than simply bitstreaming it still compressed for the Denon AVR to decode.

I'd have thought the DTS-HD track should have had exactly the same dynamic range as the other two versions.

#180 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

I think what was being suggested was to play the DTS-HD track but with the player set to decode the DTS-HD to LPCM, rather than simply bitstreaming it still compressed for the Denon AVR to decode.

That's what I meant. :)

#181 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Not sure how to do that. There is no menu on the disc. The only way I can find to change audio tracks is to press audio and it lists the three options; PCM, TrueHD and DTS.
It does it on the fly.
As for dynamic range well not sure but the DTS had a different sound compared to the other two that had hardly a discernible difference between them.
It's no big problem for me. Just scared the hell outta me as I had it reasonably loud at the time.
I'll take a look at the bitstream options next time I run it. Thanks.

Edited by Jutta, 21 January 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#182 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

The option to decode to PCM rather than bitstream will be in your player's menu.

Edited by Quark, 21 January 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#183 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

Cheers

Is that preferable?

#184 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,730 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

Cheers

Is that preferable?

In theory, there should be no difference, in practice different players can produce varying results.  I generally only decode to PCM in the player on problem discs, cos it's nice to see the shiny DTS-HD or like light up in the receiver/processor.

#185 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,884 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

In theory, there should be no difference, in practice different players can produce varying results.  I generally only decode to PCM in the player on problem discs, cos it's nice to see the shiny DTS-HD or like light up in the receiver/processor.

LOL!

I'm guilty of the same 8)

UPCM is true lossless ... Dolby True HD and DTSHDMA are a lossy core with the lossless difference added . All should be exactly the same, but the latter two do sound different if you listen hard.

Edited by Chopsus, 21 January 2015 - 10:33 PM.