• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

From a reliable source, weather permitting it should go online today at 600 Bourke St.

Initially same channels as como but then moving down at restack.

I'm out of town the next couple of days but will post a report back when I've confirmed it's up and running.

#2 alessiman

alessiman

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

Great news. I live one block from the transmitter (though sadly not line of sight) on the cnr or lt collins and spencer

DTV reception is non-exsistant right now due to surrondling building blocking Como and Dandenong.

Hopefully when its live this will improve matter immensley

#3 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

It went live at about 4pm today. You will need a vertically polarised uhf antenna to cover channels 51,54,57,60,63 (same as como) until the restack then it will move down a bit.

The antenna configuration is three sided to the North, East and West (not to the south) the radiation pattern looks a bit like a maple leaf. So unfortunately may not help south melbourne at all but certainly docklands, north and west melbourne, flemington, carlton, fitzroy , collingwood richmond and of course a lot of the cbd will all see a big change.

I haven't done any testing myself yet I've been out on a country job but will try to do some testing when I'm around later in the week.

#4 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

I've got a few site tests to do for customers around the cbd and inner suburbs and will post results as I do these but I was in newport today and was getting 68-61 dBuV with an LP345 antenna (Mt dandenong was still stronger where I was)... but was impressed with the signal there.

#5 NotForRent

NotForRent

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Do you think this transmitter will help me with poor ABC DTV reception in Yarraville as it is occasionally completely unwatchable here.

#6 Soap

Soap

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Do you think this transmitter will help me with poor ABC DTV reception in Yarraville as it is occasionally completely unwatchable here.

Probably. Perhaps your current VHF antenna is old and not compatible with Ch.12?
If you have line-of-sight to the city from your roof and a vertical Band V UHF antenna installed, then you should have no trouble with reception from this new site.

#7 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

haven't done a test in yarraville yet but if newport is anything to go by and you're south of Geelong Rd then I'd say yes.. as Soap says you're need a Band 4/5 UHF Antenna installed vertically.

#8 alessiman

alessiman

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

UHF antenna installed and the apartment block finally has a decent DTV signal after months of poor to nonexistant picture

Happy days!

#9 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Have had good results in Richmond, Yarraville, and Moonee Ponds this week with repoints or new antennas

#10 hoit

hoit

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm in Hawthorn East and had been using the Como transmitter for the last 3 years with no issues. Just overs 3 weeks ago (coincidence ?) I started getting interference on Channels 9 & 10.

I re-aligned my antenna to the Bourke St transmitter and the interference stopped on Channels 9 & 10 but I lost signal for Channel 31 as the Bourke St transmitter is not broadcasting Channel 31.

I settled on an approximate alignment with the Eureka tower which gave me sufficient signal for Channel 31 and no interference on Channels 9 & 10.

Edited by hoit, 25 August 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#11 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

hoit, It could be but would have to look at the signal with a meter when you're antenna was pointed at como to get a better understanding of what is going on.

Both Como and Bourke St are in a Single Frequency Network (SFN) and there maybe some timing / tuning still to be done. Sometimes with receiving antennas on an SFN it's placement can be tricky. But you've already figured that out.

#12 hoit

hoit

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

Edited by hoit, 19 December 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#13 joohnno

joohnno

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

I have recently retuned the small digital TV in the study and while I get good reception for just about everything including SBS, there is no ABC, which comes up as "Data service", which I think means lousy signal strength.

Main TV runs off Foxtel but I rely on my little free to air one when the grandchildren are staying.

Am in Toorak with a large roof top antenna and amplifier pointed at the Dandenongs.

#14 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,701 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

Johnno,

If the antenna is old, it is likely that it was not designed to receive channel 12 which is used by ABC Digital which is why you do not get the signal.

You are very close to the TV translators on the Como Centre in Toorak Rd, South Yarra.

I suggest that you try and tune these translators which are on channels 40 - 46.

To do this disconnect the antenna, go to the installation menu and do a channel scan. This is to remove any memorised channels. Whilst it is doing this time how long it takes to scan from channel 6 - 28.

\When the scan is complete start a new scan and plug in the antenna after the time measured above. Now it will search for channels 40 - 46 without reserving the channels for Dandenong instead.

If the results are poor, I suggest you buy an indoor antenna which contains a loop and no amplifier and repeat the process.

In the long term you should replace the existing antenna and amplifier with a UHF phased array mounted for vertical polarisation and aimed at the Como Centre.

Alan