• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 sam_tyler

sam_tyler

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Sam,
You should have bought a band 4+. Go to the first post in this strand. Click on the H4+ link for manufacturers' links. This antenna is ideal for ABC digital, SBS and WIN. The only channel you still need you existing antenna for is GWN. When they eventually go digital the band 4+ antenna will be used for GWN Digital as well as TEN programs.
You can use a UV diplexer to connect the above antenna and your existing ones.

Note: GWN analog and FM radio transmitters causes interference to digital and analog reception. This is worst in Bunbury, Newcastle, Townsville Riverland & Spencer Gulf

AlanH

Thanks Alan :)

#52 JennyStarzzzz

JennyStarzzzz

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

This is basically a feeler to see if anyone is down to do a little new england meet some time in march or april. Nothing fancy, just something to get ready for the bigger meets coming up in summer, whos down?

#53 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

What drugs are you on?

#54 Muttley

Muttley

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Dick Smith has a 14 day you don't like it take it back policy so if you are not happy with what you get take it back!

#55 wayne349

wayne349

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

Here in Bunbury WA the only digital channels we have will ever seem to have are ABC & SBS.

Regional WA is so far behind the times thanks to GWN & WIN holding us back in the analogue dark ages, Foxtel must be laughing at Regional FTA stations GWN & WIN and reaping the rewards from their continued lack of interest in the jointly delayed commencement of Digital TV.

The ACMA should of allowed a independent Digital licence here in WA ( if there was anyone capable ) to commence Digital transmissions long ago and that might of got GWN & WIN off the backsides to do something a bit quicker as i don’t think they could be any slower.

I’d be glad to watch anything thats shown on the 7two or Onehd or any other channel other than ABC & SBS let alone complain about the content, not knocking ABC or SBS but it would be nice to have a bit more choice like the city folks only 200klms north.

i’d even watch a test pattern if it meant something different than ABC or SBS.

Perth Digital Reception is too unreliable and weather dependant.

Wayne.
Bunbury, WA

Edited by wayne349, 15 November 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#56 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Wayne,
Do a search in this strand for my name. I have written on this topic before. Whilst the ACMA has allocated 3 TV channels for each transmitter site in country WA, the temptation for the commercials is to only instal one transmitter in each site. Then you can only get a single SD program from each network. The networks are not saying anything about their plans at all. It would be an advantage if they go for the single transmitter approach, that they transmit all their programs in MPEG-4 compression. This will mean that they can add additional programs. There are many receivers with MPEG-4 even if they don't say so.

AlanH

#57 rodd44

rodd44

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

gday alanh, hope im doing this right. i have a strong box & have lost instructions. could you help me out with which satellite,what frequency, symbol rate & polarization i need please. im in burekup and have an analogue tv. thanks rod

#58 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

rodd,
Do you have a dish or a conventional TV antenna?

AlanH

#59 rodd44

rodd44

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

gday alan, i have a dish. it was fine last friday. im guessin its a basic set up, i bought it secondhand about 2 years ago & its been fine.any truth about the satellite getting moved now & then? thanks alan

#60 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

I will leave the Satellite TV until I find out about the" new Aurora'

Alanh

#61 rwo

rwo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

I am currently trying to improve our TV reception in Waroona, WA (about 15 mins directly south of Pinjarra). Ideally I would like to improve the quality of the Perth channels as I am just plain sick of waiting for the crap that win/gwn keep dishing out regarding their digital services start dates.

Our current setup consists of a collinear array (i think that is the name, the stacked looking box type thingy, aimed to perth?) and a yagi pointing to the Bunbury area (mt lennard I guess), with a masthead booster on a 40 foot pole on the roof and rg6 quad cable. During the day, reception of the Perth digital channels are reasonable and watchable most of the time, but as soon as night time hits they become pixelated with constant audio dropouts, with 7 services being the worst. ABC and SBS digital seem fine all the time (probably because they are coming from Bunbury) with a very occasional although uncommon dropout.

Recently I have noticed a few new houses going up that just have yagi type antenna's pointing towards Perth and NO collinear box antenna's (which is what all the old houses use) on about 20 foot poles on the roof.

Now my question is, should I be looking into a new antenna and aiming for one of the Perth transmitter's or would I be better off trying to chase the Perth services from the Turner hill transmitter in Pinjarra? I tried looking through the documents to decipher what type of antenna I need, but can't really make much sense of it all.

Can anyone give me some recommendations of what would be the best way to proceed regarding transmitter/antenna selection? As I may be a bit out of my league fixing this myself (not having signal measuring equipment or anything) is there any reputable and recommended installers that service the area?

Also is a 40 foot mast required or even beneficial, I really would like to drop the mast size down if that is an option, I just don't trust the bloody thing!

Edited by rwo, 24 October 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#62 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

rwo,
Firstly you are in the coverage area from Mt Lennard. Once GWN digital starts the best antenna for your area is in the link of the first post called H4+. Your existing antenna for GWN/ABC is good for receiving Bunbury FM radio.

Turner Hill is not useful to you because it is aimed at Mandurah and is not particularly powerful. Currently the only digital transmitter on this site is SBS.

Commercial TV.
If the pattern used in the high powered Central Agricultural (Mawson, near Quarading) area is repeated, you will get GWN SD, WIN SD and TenWest SD early next year. The Turner Hill digital translator will be on air soon after that. They will have to add a pair of extra transmitters for ONE HD, Eleven, 7 Mate, 7TWO, GEM and Go! I expect this may not happen until June 2013, when analog switch off occurs. The Minister of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is promising access to these programs over the whole of Australia.

As for your present reception, you are out of the service area of the Perth transmitters. The phased array on a tall pole is the best type of antenna for this distance.
You need to ask how reliable the reception is on the new antenna installations are. It is likely that corrosion in your existing antenna along with sun damaged cabling could be a problem. Higher gain amplifiers are available for band 3. Kingray mhv44hlg set up to only amplify channels 6 - 12. You can use your Mt Lennard antenna for ABC and SBS.

Do not climb your mast as rust may make it weak. You need some one who is licenced to work at heights and has insurance.

So your upgrade may be expensive for a few years of use.

AlanH

#63 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,813 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Can anyone give me some recommendations of what would be the best way to proceed regarding transmitter/antenna selection?

Ask the people in the new houses what their reception is like and also who did their installation for them.

#64 rwo

rwo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

rwo,
Firstly you are in the coverage area from Mt Lennard. Once GWN digital starts the best antenna for your area is in the link of the first post called H4+. Your existing antenna for GWN/ABC is good for receiving Bunbury FM radio.

Turner Hill is not useful to you because it is aimed at Mandurah and is not particularly powerful. Currently the only digital transmitter on this site is SBS.

Commercial TV.
If the pattern used in the high powered Central Agricultural (Mawson, near Quarading) area is repeated, you will get GWN SD, WIN SD and TenWest SD early next year. The Turner Hill digital translator will be on air soon after that. They will have to add a pair of extra transmitters for ONE HD, Eleven, 7 Mate, 7TWO, GEM and Go! I expect this may not happen until June 2013, when analog switch off occurs. The Minister of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is promising access to these programs over the whole of Australia.

As for your present reception, you are out of the service area of the Perth transmitters. The phased array on a tall pole is the best type of antenna for this distance.
You need to ask how reliable the reception is on the new antenna installations are. It is likely that corrosion in your existing antenna along with sun damaged cabling could be a problem. Higher gain amplifiers are available for band 3. Kingray mhv44hlg set up to only amplify channels 6 - 12. You can use your Mt Lennard antenna for ABC and SBS.

Do not climb your mast as rust may make it weak. You need some one who is licenced to work at heights and has insurance.

So your upgrade may be expensive for a few years of use.

AlanH

Thanks for the info AlanH. So are the extra Perth channels (ONE HD, Eleven, 7 Mate, 7TWO, GEM and Go!) and HD services ever likely to end up being broadcast from Mt Lennard as well?

#65 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

rwo,
I would expect that the extra programs will be on air from Mt Lennard by the end of 2013. By then the replacement for Aurora FTA satellite system will be up and running carrying GWN, WIN, TenWest and all of the additional programs. So the satellite service can also be used as a transmitter feeder from the eastern states playout centres. The Minister for DBCDE has promised all Australians will have access to the same number of programs for SD and similarly for HD. So I expect the pressure will be applied to GWN & WIN to install the extra transmitters for the extra programs past GWN, WIN, TenWest.

AlanH

#66 bjdbmail

bjdbmail

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

Any news on when Digital TV will be available in Bridgetown WA?

#67 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

Spam reported.

#68 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

All,
Analog TV switchoffs are;
All of WA outside Perth (WAW(GWN) & WOW(WIN)) between 1st July - 31st December 2013

Mandurah and Pinjarra are included in this strand. Recommended antenna V5

When commercial DTV starts, your new digital antenna should not be able to not receive ABC1 analog in Bunbury (Mt Lennard out of Bunbury), Great Southern (Mt Barker), Central Agricultural (Mawson), Leeman, additionally you should not be able to receive GWN Mt Lennard, Mt Barker, Kambalda.

Follow the sequence below to determine what you need to do. This applies to new and existing installations, in which pixellates (picture breaks up into blocks) and the sound chirps)

Antenna Selection

1. Determine the most appropriate transmitter site
Most regions have a main transmitter shown in bold and some translators. Translator is of lower power than the main transmitter for the region. Translators are used to fill in a shadow area caused by the local terrain. A translator converts the signal from one channel to another to prevent interference.

Click on Transmitter List to find you likely transmitter site(s)

Open on another screen
Coverage area maps and select the state and your DTV transmitter. If present this will give you a coverage area map to determine which site is best for you.

If an antenna technician can provide evidence that there are no signals at your site, you can get the ABC, SBS, two commercial stations and some radio channels directly from a satellite. Go to the end of this post.

2. Select the antenna type
From the spreadsheet use the antenna type to select the link below

H3
H4
H5
V5

Caravans/Marine
Band 3, 4 - 5

Indoor Antennas

Antenna Types Drawings

“Antenna Replace”
Red background, white print.

Digital TV will never use channels 0 – 5A. This is due to the problem of impulse noise from electrical switching and arcing. You can minimise this problem if you antenna is not designed for these channels. Channel 0 – 5A antennas are very wide and are more liable to get bird and wind damage as well.

The best antenna is one designed for the TV channels to be received in your area. This is because all of the metal work will get used. This gives greater sensitivity to the channels you want and less to the unwanted ones. [/b]
Installation of a Digital TV antenna means that ABC1 analog cannot be received along with GWN analog ifrom Bunbury and Kambalda.

“Antenna Replace”
Pale Blue background, red print.
A change in UHF band. Only replace antenna if the signals break up which may be weather dependent.

All analog channels within the antenna channel range will be receivable.

Cabling
It should be quad shielded RG6 with F connectors at any joins.
This is to minimise the pick up of electrical switching and TV signals other than picked up by the antenna.

Masthead amplifiers Should only be considered if the measured digital signals show there is too little signal. If that is not an option try the above techniques first.

Recognising interference
Better Television & Radio Reception

Please note this is general information. Use an antenna installer who can measure and error rates of digital signals (They should be able to give you Bit Error Rates (BER) figures of less than 8 e-4.) If they cannot do this, get someone else.

Apartments and retirement villages use Master Antenna TV systems (MATV)

MDU Handbook. This document is designed for presentation to the Body Corporate or the building owners.

Remember that analog transmitters will be switched off between Dec 2009 Metro, and 2013 in the last regional areas.

These systems contain amplifiers for individual channels. In any non-digital installations you will generally find some digital channels are not receivable due to this filtering. Prior to upgrading or installing an MATV system make sure all receivers are digital or have a set top box. This will mean that the channel amplifiers can be retuned or replaced rather than installing another set of 5 amplifiers. Then specify that the installation must conform to Australian Standard 1367-2007. This will ensure that all digital channels will be available, including HD and surround sound when available.

Radio – FM, DAB and DRM
FM
None of the antennas listed above are designed to receive FM radio. The best way is to have an independent system Please read FM Antennas[/u]

DRM is another type of digital radio which will replace AM radio and will not use any of the above equipment.

More Information
How to get into Digital TV Pt 2 -What to do about the antenna "Silicon Chip" April 2008
For TV Antenna Basics +
For Radio Thread

:wacko: Please post any queries in this geographic viewer's forum

Satellite stations available

The programs on Aurora are transmitted through the satellite in digital form using DVB-S transmission and MPEG-2 compression, but in some towns are then retransmitted in analog. A home satellite receiver will receive the signal in digital, however there is none of the enhancements such as multi channel, wide screen etc.

The replacement for Aurora will use DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 compression and will be run by GWN, WIN and their Joint Venture TEN West, so an HD satellite receiver with an authorisation card is required. The programs will include the same number of programs that all other Australians can see.

For more information
[url="http://www.digitalready.gov.au/newsletter/edition2/VAST-satellite-service/article-VAST-satellite-service.aspx"]Free to Air Satellite Service News

AlanH B)

:wacko: Please post any queries in this geographic viewer's forum

#69 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

Am on the fringe of terrestrial TV and FM in North Walpole (Tingledale). Fixed the TV problem by going to sat.
Had to remove the analogue TV antenna because of the sat dish but left it lying on the roof for FM radio, which I get via a TV/FM splitter. One FM question, if I may?

1. ABC Classical FM is preferred listening by the wife - once I get a Yagi, which is directional according to your good help file, do I need to point it at the Mt Barker repeater, if there is such a thing or does the Shire of Denmark operate some sort of radio repeater?

Thanks.

dom

#70 kendenupian

kendenupian

AV Forum Member

• 50 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi,

Am on the fringe of terrestrial TV and FM in North Walpole (Tingledale). Fixed the TV problem by going to sat.
Had to remove the analogue TV antenna because of the sat dish but left it lying on the roof for FM radio, which I get via a TV/FM splitter. One FM question, if I may?

1. ABC Classical FM is preferred listening by the wife - once I get a Yagi, which is directional according to your good help file, do I need to point it at the Mt Barker repeater, if there is such a thing or does the Shire of Denmark operate some sort of radio repeater?

Thanks.

dom

hi Dom. I think all of the main FM ABC services are available on optus C1. I would expect that the VAST Sat TV decoder that you will use , hopefully sometime this year, would also give you the fm stations as well. My son is near the WA border and is receiving the VAST service for NT. i am waiting to hear what is available ATM.

Will let you know as soon as..

kendenupian

#71 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,591 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

domi,

"When will ABC radio stations be available on VAST?
The ABC is working with key stakeholders to have the ABC radio services currently on RABS transferred across no later than December 2013. ABC Radio services will continue to be available on the analogue RABS service until it ceases in 2013."

There is no radio transmitters in Denmark

Mt Barker FM transmitters

6PNN (Newsradio) 92.1
6JJJ 92.9
6ABCFM 94.5
6ABCRN 96.9

Lower powered
TAB radio 93.7
6AAY (HotFM) 95.3

Read Analog FM You probably need an FM8 antenna.

The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is currently deciding what technology should be used for Digital radio in Regional Australia. So watch Digital Radio
AlanH

#72 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

hi Dom. I think all of the main FM ABC services are available on optus C1. I would expect that the VAST Sat TV decoder that you will use , hopefully sometime this year, would also give you the fm stations as well. My son is near the WA border and is receiving the VAST service for NT. i am waiting to hear what is available ATM.

Will let you know as soon as..

kendenupian

#73 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

kendenuptian,

Thanks for reply. I know I could get digital radio via sat (Aurora), but my wife is not too familiar with switching on the sat decoder and navigating. Besides, I would have to have the large TV switched on for it, which is a bit of a waste of electricity.

#74 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

domi,

"When will ABC radio stations be available on VAST?
The ABC is working with key stakeholders to have the ABC radio services currently on RABS transferred across no later than December 2013. ABC Radio services will continue to be available on the analogue RABS service until it ceases in 2013."

There is no radio transmitters in Denmark

Mt Barker FM transmitters

6PNN (Newsradio) 92.1
6JJJ 92.9
6ABCFM 94.5
6ABCRN 96.9

Lower powered
TAB radio 93.7
6AAY (HotFM) 95.3

Read Analog FM You probably need an FM8 antenna.

The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is currently deciding what technology should be used for Digital radio in Regional Australia. So watch Digital Radio
AlanH

#75 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

Alanh,

Thanks for reply. And the Mt Barker answer gives me an idea of the direction the Yagi has to point to.