• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 black_ops

black_ops

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:02 AM

The only way you will get a sat service for commercial tv in the country is if you get aurora, on the aurora service there's no garrenty you will get local coverage, though you should still get 7,9 & 10, though it will most likely be an eastern states feed not WA local, not sure on abc, win, gwn and any channel broadcastiong to the country area's of WA...

The only problem in the country you may require a large 1.2 - 10 metre sat dish for sat reception..

#27 dryfry

dryfry

DTV Forums Member

• 728 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:26 PM

The only way you will get a sat service for commercial tv in the country is if you get aurora, on the aurora service there's no garrenty you will get local coverage, though you should still get 7,9 & 10, though it will most likely be an eastern states feed not WA local, not sure on abc, win, gwn and any channel broadcastiong to the country area's of WA...

The only problem in the country you may require a large 1.2 - 10 metre sat dish for sat reception..

ABC and SBS are automatically available while GWN and WIN you need to fill out a form for to get it switched on and a 90centimetre dish (foxtel style)will be fine for Aurora.
But its in 4:3..as thats how the analog WIN SBS and remote area ABC and GWN tv transmitters are fed

#28 Sparky1

Sparky1

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

Tuner Hill Pinjarra any body know all of the translators different freqs it used to be on this site and I can't find them
Thanks
Sparks

#29 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

Sparky1,
All the transmitters on Turner Hill are analog except WIN which is not present on this site. The only digital signals in the this area are from Perth or Mt Lennard. In Mt Lennard's case it is only ABC & SBS. So reception will be dependent on location etc.

Read Get the Best Reception, Southern WA and read the links.

The Turner Hill translators are owned by the Mandurah council. With all the population growth in this region, it's about time the ACMA recognised this to allocate government/commercial station owned transmitters.

AlanH

#30 aussiefan

aussiefan

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

We had to Satellite dish for watching free air tv :) our channels are so bad, we got our local tv man to set it up for us but you can have a look at what channels you can get :)

http://www.lyngsat.c...ges/aurora.html

I hope it helps you.

#31 Smacca

Smacca

DTV Forums Member

• 874 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

We had to Satellite dish for watching free air tv :) our channels are so bad, we got our local tv man to set it up for us but you can have a look at what channels you can get :)

http://www.lyngsat.c...ges/aurora.html

I hope it helps you.

Yep! I love the fact the only area in WA where you can't use an Aurora card is Perth metro. Folks in the NT and Central Australia have to prove they can't pick up terrestrial! Luckily that rule doesn't apply here because it beats analogue terrestrial TV anytime!

Edited by Smacca, 30 September 2007 - 05:34 AM.

#32 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:57 AM

aussiefan,
You do not say where you are. If you are anywhere in WA, you should be getting, ABC, SBS, GWN and WIN like the rest of non-metropolitan Perth. ABC & SBS are identical programs to those anywhere in Australia except for ABC News. GWN is almost identical to all 7 network programs except for ads and additional news bulletins. WIN which now covers just under half the Australian population has mainly 9 netowrk programs. For WA they add a news bulletin read from Wollongong NSW and substitute the odd 10 network program. So the only "improvements' coming is that you will get the rest of the 10 network programming, widescreen ABC2...)

There is also yet to be a national rollout of another commercial network which will be digital only. That is yet to get off the ground.

Smacca,
The reason for the card issue is competition between commercial TV companies and the maintenance of any local programming particularly news. NTD31/49 ("Nine") Darwin is owned by the Nine Network where as TND32/34 ("Seven") is owned by Southern Cross now Macquarie. The Satellite stations, Impaja is owned by CAAMA in Alice Springs and Seven Central by Southern Cross. Most Southern Cross stations are affiliates of the Ten network.

Where as in WA, outside Perth there is only two owners GWN which is owned by Prime and WIN which owns this network outright. In Perth you have Kerry Stokes' Seven network, WIN, TEN network as owners.

Alanh

#33 Smacca

Smacca

DTV Forums Member

• 874 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

aussiefan,
You do not say where you are. If you are anywhere in WA, you should be getting, ABC, SBS, GWN and WIN like the rest of non-metropolitan Perth. ABC & SBS are identical programs to those anywhere in Australia except for ABC News. GWN is almost identical to all 7 network programs except for ads and additional news bulletins. WIN which now covers just under half the Australian population has mainly 9 netowrk programs. For WA they add a news bulletin read from Wollongong NSW and substitute the odd 10 network program. So the only "improvements' coming is that you will get the rest of the 10 network programming, widescreen ABC2...)

Great info, but I think you misunderstood. Aussiefan knows what the channels are - he/she was just helping us out by stating that Aurora is the way to go if you have **** reception no matter where you are in regional WA. I agree that the "improvements" aren't that much, but I guess it depends on what each individual is happy to spend. Remember, we have been promised a Channel Ten since at least 2002, with no progress to date except ACMA assigning the channels. In that time, Mildura, Tasmania and (shortly) Darwin have gotten their digital only Ten fired up, leaving WA as the last state to get it surprisingly. For me it's worth the cost of another dish, LNB and switch, but the average Aurora user might have a different point of view.

Smacca,
The reason for the card issue is competition between commercial TV companies and the maintenance of any local programming particularly news.

That, and the fact viewers could watch their favourite show between 1.5 and 2 hours earlier than scheduled in WA. WA advertisers would lose money as every satellite user would watch the eastern states 7 rather than GWN, if they were unencrypted for example.

#34 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:12 PM

SMacca,
If what you suggest were to come true, the whole country would have Sydney only programs. There would be no GWN and WIN so the only local content would be the ABC news, Stateline once a week and the WAFL. The only out of Perth coverage would have to kill many people!

I should also remind you that the WA government is funding the satellite transmission costs.

My "Get the Best Reception" posts have always contained the lines about out of area reception.

AlanH

#35 Smacca

Smacca

DTV Forums Member

• 874 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:45 AM

SMacca,
If what you suggest were to come true, the whole country would have Sydney only programs. There would be no GWN and WIN so the only local content would be the ABC news, Stateline once a week and the WAFL. The only out of Perth coverage would have to kill many people!

I should also remind you that the WA government is funding the satellite transmission costs.

My "Get the Best Reception" posts have always contained the lines about out of area reception.

AlanH

Yep! It would suck for everyone basically. I think Aurora do a good job controlling 7 Cent, GWN, WIN and Imp. and I hope it continues as Ten is slowly introduced to all Aurora users. It makes it fair for each market to make a decent profit within their licensed area, controlling competition and keeping ratings balanced like the metros. But as for Southern Cross and Imp. choosing to use Optus D1, as long as they keep broadcasting unencrypted then they're going to have to accept the fact that people will want to tune in - especially if viewers are starved of a full Channel Ten. I will bet you that 80%+ of people with Aurora would be interested in picking up Imparja and Southern Cross for more choice. Who wouldn't? I say take advantage of it while it lasts.

#36 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

Smacca,
Would you be posting if you had 3 commercial programs available in the WA footprint? How much of Impaja and 7 Central's programs are their own rather than relays of national programs?

Alanh

#37 Smacca

Smacca

DTV Forums Member

• 874 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Smacca,
Would you be posting if you had 3 commercial programs available in the WA footprint? How much of Impaja and 7 Central's programs are their own rather than relays of national programs?

Alanh

Nope! If Aurora or free to air terrestrial was equipped with 3 commercial stations for both rural markets, I wouldn't be suggesting Optus D1 at all. Imparja alone offers some programs that WIN WA don't have:

* Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
* Californication
* Close to Home
* Crime Investigation Australia
* Fresh Cooking
* Hi-5
* Judge Judy
* National Nine Morning News
* Nightline
* So You Think You Can Dance?
* The Bold and the Beautiful
* The Dame Edna Treatment
* The Office
* The Simpsons (daily)
and more...

I use a HDD PVR at home, so I rarely watch each channel anyway, I just go thru the EPG every week and pick programs I want recorded. Having Imparja and 7 Central added to the mix of programs I can have does give me a huge choice. When Channel Ten begins and WIN and Imparja move to sole Nine affiliates then I won't have the need to get NT channels at all.

#38 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

Smacca,
This is exactly my point.
All of the programs you quoted are from the metro networks. Some are from the nine network to which WIN is an affiliate, so you should have them now!
AlanH

#39 Smacca

Smacca

DTV Forums Member

• 874 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:32 AM

Smacca,
This is exactly my point.
All of the programs you quoted are from the metro networks. Some are from the nine network to which WIN is an affiliate, so you should have them now!
AlanH

Yep, except they're mainly Ten shows, so I'm really after a full Ten channel as opposed to an all-Nine WIN, but you're right... either way the same choice as metro rather than programming made from Imparja like their news or Yamba's playtime for example. :)

WIN is still going to be dual Ten affiliate for some time, even after Ten is launched, which is a shame. What's a good way to get 99% of regional viewers a digital set top box? :P

Edited by Smacca, 02 October 2007 - 03:35 AM.

#40 aussiefan

aussiefan

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Oh AlanH :) I'm just out of the Mandurah area

I pick up city and country channels on anlog, digital set top boxes don't work in our area at all *sighs* which is a bummer
We got 2 sat boxes for 2 tvs, and I'm using 1 tv for anlog viewing because of channel 10 shows

#41 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:31 PM

Aussiefan,
What is your analog Perth reception like?
What type of antenna are you using, does it have a masthead amplifier, if so what type?

If you cannot recognise your antenna type Read Get the Best Reception, Southern WA and read the links. There is a link with drawings to recognise the types.

AlanH

#42 aussiefan

aussiefan

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the link, I had no idea *shrug* which ones in the links

#43 bodyboarding_bum

bodyboarding_bum

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:18 AM

First link doesn't seem to be working for me unfortunately.

Im based in the southwest (between bunbury and busselton) and am looking for an aerial to pick up digital and analogue TV, its to be used with my new Compro E650 TV Tuner for my PC. Any recommendations for an aerial? Preferably indoors, but if its outdoors, please not too big as we have very very strong winds here (all our houses are cyclone proof) and it would just fall off our roof (like our existing one did, its now in the roof space/attic upstairs, but i cannot plug into this as i can't run a cable as im on the bottom story).

Thanks, any help appreciated.

#44 Candise

Candise

DTV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

sorry i dont quite get your post. does this mean that gwn and win can be recieved in kalgoorlie now in digital or is it just for analogue?

i second demotion...

#45 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:39 AM

bodyboarding_bum,
For digital you need a Band 4+ which will give you WIN analog, digital ABC & SBS. This leaves GWN on channel 3. You may rather consider a 3 element FM antenna. The pair of antennas can be connected by a diplexer. Once GWN starts digital transmission the FM antenna can be connected to an FM radio instead.

Read Get the Best Reception, Southern WA and read the links including the indoor antenna link.

Candice,
Currently all of country WA except Central Agricultural area's WIN have analog commercial TV. Kalgoorlie has ABC & SBS are on digital in Kalgoorlie.

AlanH

#46 sam_tyler

sam_tyler

DTV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

We are in Australind, just north of Bunbury.... all we seem to get on our digital TV is ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABCHD, SBS1, SBS2 and SBSHD.... we just replaced our aerial (as ours was a bit old) to improve reception and hopefully stop ABC dropping out, but the guy in Dick Smith's said we should get more channels (Win digital for instance) but... nothing.

Can anyone shed any light please as to what channels we should be able to receive? I've looked at the Freeview website but it doesnt say anything about regional WA.

Thanks

#47 dryfry

dryfry

DTV Forums Member

• 728 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

We are in Australind, just north of Bunbury.... all we seem to get on our digital TV is ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABCHD, SBS1, SBS2 and SBSHD.... we just replaced our aerial (as ours was a bit old) to improve reception and hopefully stop ABC dropping out, but the guy in Dick Smith's said we should get more channels (Win digital for instance) but... nothing.

Can anyone shed any light please as to what channels we should be able to receive? I've looked at the Freeview website but it doesnt say anything about regional WA.

Thanks

Thats it for now for Bunbury. You could ask the local antenna person about trying to get Perth digital .
Dick Smith's is just Woolworths without the groceries .

#48 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:43 AM

Sam,
You should have asked the Dick Smith shop to demonstrate WIN digital!

Read the post above yours.

AlanH

#49 sam_tyler

sam_tyler

DTV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Sam,
You should have asked the Dick Smith shop to demonstrate WIN digital!

Read the post above yours.

AlanH

lol :lol:

So we were watching Ashes to Ashes last night, perfect picture even during the heavy rain shower (with the old aerial we'd lose the picture in rain). Then around 10pm picture gets all pixellated and all ABC signals are gone.....?! Gutted as it's the one prog I dont like to miss... and can't understand why it happened as all SBS channels were still perfect. Just posting this to ask if anyone else had problems last night or if it is still a problem our end. Thanks

#50 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

Sam,
You should have bought a band 4+. Go to the first post in this strand. Click on the H4+ link for manufacturers' links. This antenna is ideal for ABC digital, SBS and WIN. The only channel you still need you existing antenna for is GWN. When they eventually go digital the band 4+ antenna will be used for GWN Digital as well as TEN programs.
You can use a UV diplexer to connect the above antenna and your existing ones.

Note: GWN analog and FM radio transmitters causes interference to digital and analog reception. This is worst in Bunbury, Newcastle, Townsville Riverland & Spencer Gulf

AlanH