Get The Best Reception, Southern Wa

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,675 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:37 AM

Edited by alanh, 25 March 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#2 shawd04

shawd04

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:34 AM

sorry i dont quite get your post. does this mean that gwn and win can be recieved in kalgoorlie now in digital or is it just for analogue?

#3 Tntnnbltn

Tntnnbltn

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:46 AM

sorry i dont quite get your post. does this mean that gwn and win can be recieved in kalgoorlie now in digital or is it just for analogue?

Ditto for Esperance... Can we recieve digital GWN and WIN?

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,675 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

shawd04,
Sorry, I must have missed your post.

and Tntnnbltn,

The line below was missed in the process. For your info, the ABC digital has been on air for month in both your towns. (Except for the bomb blast on re receiving dishes in Kalgoorlie!). You get all the ABC digital features including HD, dig radio and soon two additional TV programs all from channel 9A using a STB or digital TV tuner card. Check the link below because there are already some SBS sites in regional WA including Kalgoorlie but not Esperance. They run 2 TV programs and 2 radio programs.

The only commercial DTV is in the Central Ag from Quairading. This transmitter is repeating PAL programming only because the transmitter is used to feed low powered analog transmitters in surrounding towns.

For start dates see http://www.dba.org.a...sp?sectionID=22

AlanH

#5 mjkoolio

mjkoolio

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:43 AM

Can i ask a question to fellow West Australians? Why can't I (or anyone else) receive GWN or WIN on SD STB's in the Metro area?!?? I wouldn't mind watching those channels when we get into the begining of the TV year with all the show's coming back kause WIN show differnet programing during Primtime to NINE and TEN so let's say i miss O.C (okai make it Survivor!) on Tuesday on TEN and GWN show's the same ep on Thursday or wat day. Just wanting to know why i can get the channels?! :blink:

#6 Tntnnbltn

Tntnnbltn

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:44 AM

Can i ask a question to fellow West Australians? Why can't I (or anyone else) receive GWN or WIN on SD STB's in the Metro area?!?? I wouldn't mind watching those channels when we get into the begining of the TV year with all the show's coming back kause WIN show differnet programing during Primtime to NINE and TEN so let's say i miss O.C (okai make it Survivor!) on Tuesday on TEN and GWN show's the same ep on Thursday or wat day. Just wanting to know why i can get the channels?! :blink:

For starters, I know that was just an example, buuut... GWN only airs channel 7 programming, so you wouldn't be seeing Survivor or The O.C. on GWN. :P WIN have found a nice solution for this though... Don't air The O.C.!!! Other than around 2 or 3 primetime programs, all content is from Nine and a majority of the schedule is the same. (However, with programs like Australian Idol and Big Brother, in the last couple weeks or so WIN goes from not airing the show at all to airing it in the right spot, which usually causes about 3 Nine programs to shift to later dates to accomodate.)

Anyway, back on topic, simply record you! You are so privilaged to have digital television full stop. Practically no where in regional WA can you get digital (commercial) television. I think it would be a tad unfair if it ended up like this:

Perth Digital: Seven, Nine, Ten, ABC, SBS, GWN, WIN
Regional Digital: ABC, SBS in some places

#7 mjkoolio

mjkoolio

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

wOOpS! sorry about the channel mix up. I meant WIN (lol :blink: ) Yeh i am very very very very very happy that i have Digital TV!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Okai just forget about what i asked! Thanks for the reply!

#8 Tyrus

Tyrus

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:46 PM

alanh

Many thanks for that post - your obviously the guy to get the guff from ...

Could you please tell me if it is possible to get Perth digital broadcasts from Bunbury with the right satellite setup.

I am currently stuck between a rock and a hard place - I am in a fantastic new development, but unfortunately it has a less than adequate MATV. I cannot get local digital and even local analogue has severe interference 40% of the time. The catch is that the building covenants restrict me from installing a roof antenna.... and I'm fast running out of options.

Being an ex-Sydney guy, itís funny what you take for granted until you don't have it any more! :blink:

Cheers

#9 shawd04

shawd04

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:06 PM

cheers alanh i only just got back from work damn fifo it seems like i will just have to keep waiting for gwn and win in kal

#10 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,675 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:26 PM

markw1510,
You did not say where in Perth you are. If you are in the coverage area of the Roleystone translators, UHF antennas on my list are comparatively small.

Satellite reception will not be enabled on you receiver for GWN & WIN because you are in the Perth coverage zone. This is an Australian Broadcasting Authority rule.

So click on http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=11403 after tomorrow's update. Also click on http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=12494

AlanH

#11 Andy_d_75

Andy_d_75

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:37 PM

Alan, I live in quinns/Merriwa area but have land in jurien, what's the deal with TV there Please.

Regards,

Andrew

#12 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,675 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:07 AM

Andy_d_75,
ABC Coverage area http://www2b.abc.net...d=1927&presdir=

ABW55 (ABC) Directional Antenna 3.2 kW Broadcast Site JURIEN
WOW58 (WIN) OmniDirectional 2kW Bashford Street opposite Hastings Street JURIEN
SBS61 OD 2kW
WAW64 (GWN) OD 2k 30 18 11 South 115 2 42 East
Bashford Street opposite Hastings Street JURIEN
These are all analog. I have not seen any plans for digital yet. You need a band 5 antenna, as mentioned on my pinned post. It should be mounted horizontally. I would imagine you will eventually be able to use this antenna for digital, provided the salt or the wind, has not got to it first!

AlanH

#13 Andy_d_75

Andy_d_75

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 01:57 AM

maybe by the time i build analogue will be a thing of the past (here 's hoping)

#14 Bonez

Bonez

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:10 AM

alanh

Many thanks for that post - your obviously the guy to get the guff from ...

Could you please tell me if it is possible to get Perth digital broadcasts from Bunbury with the right satellite setup.

I am currently stuck between a rock and a hard place - I am in a fantastic new development, but unfortunately it has a less than adequate MATV.  I cannot get local digital and even local analogue has severe interference 40% of the time.  The catch is that the building covenants restrict me from installing a roof antenna.... and I'm fast running out of options.

Being an ex-Sydney guy, itís funny what you take for granted  until you don't have it any more! :blink:
Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're not in Dalyellup by any chance are you?

#15 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,675 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

Bonez & Mark,
The ABSW and SBS from Mt Leonard are strong signals. The commercials have not gone digital yet. There is an option to combine to set up another transmitter so that you get 3 commercial programs. I hope you are patient.

You cannot get Perth via satellite. The WA footprint is ABC, undelayed SBS, GWN and WIN. You may be able to get what you want from Foxtel.

AlanH

#16 benjo

benjo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hello all,

My family is building a beach house in Dalyellup (someone mentioned that earlier). I'm a bit unsure as to what the digital tv availability is there.

I believe you're unable to put up aerials, but instead all tv signals are through a cable provided. This includes 7, 9 and 10 from Perth, however the signal, particularly for 10, can be quite bad at times.

In terms of digital tv, if I were to use a set top box, would it be possible to receive digital channels 7, 9 and 10?

If this is not the case, I'm quite sure from the info provided that only ABC and SBS are available in digital at the moment around the Bunbury area, so even if we could get an aerial up we wouldn't get any digital tv. If this is not the case, please say so.

Thanks for the help.

#17 Tyrus

Tyrus

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hello all,

My family is building a beach house in Dalyellup (someone mentioned that earlier). I'm a bit unsure as to what the digital tv availability is there.

I believe you're unable to put up aerials, but instead all tv signals are through a cable provided. This includes 7, 9 and 10 from Perth, however the signal, particularly for 10, can be quite bad at times.

In terms of digital tv, if I were to use a set top box, would it be possible to receive digital channels 7, 9 and 10?

If this is not the case, I'm quite sure from the info provided that only ABC and SBS are available in digital at the moment around the Bunbury area, so even if we could get an aerial up we wouldn't get any digital tv. If this is not the case, please say so.

Thanks for the help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Benjo

I am not 100% sure about Dalyellup as I live in Pelican Point, however I believe you will only get analogue TV on the community cable set up there. As Alan has said only SBS and ABC broadcast digital locally (still a couple of years before WIN and GWN come join the club), but to receive them you often need a different aerial as the community mast antennas usually are set for analogue only. I have the same problem where I am now.

Regards
Mark

#18 benjo

benjo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:23 PM

Thanks very much for the info Mark. I was afraid that would be the case.

#19 Bonez

Bonez

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

Thanks very much for the info Mark. I was afraid that would be the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct. My folks live in Dalyellup (and I lived there for about 2 years before moving out of home) and the TV system out there is total crap.

Quite often at night time (on a clear night) we used to watch 7 instead of GWN simply because it was a much cleaner signal. And that is coming from Perth... GWN was coming from Mt Lennard.

If you are keen to get ABC/SBS digital, you'll need to put up a small antenna on your gutter and hope that nobody complains. If they do, just ask why your neighbours are allowed foxtel dishes when you're not allowed a small TV antenna.

IMO the only reason they ban you from putting up an antenna is that they are scared people will put up 40 foot masts to get the Perth channels, and if you are framiliar with the bunbury area you'll know how unsightly they can look.

It actually says in the contract (for the block of land) that satellite dishes and tv antennas are band, but like I said you can always remind them that there are at least 100 other foxtel dishes around the place, and that their TV system is crap.

GWN has a very poor signal, and well, WIN just looks crap anyway.

I don't ever remember channel 10 being a major problem, (normally if the conditions are bad, you'll have problems with all channels on analog).

Good luck.

edit: Just wanted to clarify, GWN itself doesn't have a very poor signal - it's just the Dalyellup receiver must be crap.

#20 benjo

benjo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:18 PM

I see, not great news, but thanks heaps for telling me.

I have no idea what we'll do, but we'll work something out.

#21 mjstokesy

mjstokesy

AV Forum Member

• 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:48 PM

If you have a reasonable indoor antenna, you still should be able to get digital reception. I'm from Geraldton and only have an indoor antenna. A UHF/VHF one from Dick Smith. Very basic but does the job. Could possibly work in Bunbury. My folks live in Collie with a basic roof antenna and reception there is fine so I reckon you would be alright where you are.

#22 benjo

benjo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:56 PM

If you have a reasonable indoor antenna, you still should be able to get digital reception. I'm from Geraldton and only have an indoor antenna. A UHF/VHF one from Dick Smith. Very basic but does the job. Could possibly work in Bunbury. My folks live in Collie with a basic roof antenna and reception there is fine so I reckon you would be alright where you are.

That's probably true, but the only problem is that we tend to mainly watch 7/9/10, very little ABC and SBS, so unless GWN/WIN go digital, getting local digital reception isn't really a priority.

It still might be an option just for analog though.

Thanks for the info.

#23 benjo

benjo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:56 AM

Hi all,

On the Dalyellup issue, I heard from someone living there that they were looking to upgrade the tv system. Anyone else have any info or know where I could find info?

#24 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

benjo,
I have had perfect ABC & SBS digital reception in Yallingup region using a decent UHF antenna. The same as you would used for WIN.

AlanH

#25 Bonez

Bonez

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

Hi all,

On the Dalyellup issue, I heard from someone living there that they were looking to upgrade the tv system. Anyone else have any info or know where I could find info?

Broadcast engineering services (BES/e-wire) are the ones who look after the cable in Dalyellup.

They shafted everyone for about 2 years with a completely poor internet service, and the television signal is also fairly poor down there.

If they do upgrade it, it will be very nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath for anything to happen quickly.
It took them 2+ years to be able to provide a reasonable 256kbit internet service, after the real estate companies flogged all the blocks of land saying that you would receive "HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS"

My folks have a problem (as I have mentioned) whereas GWN and WIN are very fuzzy, and 7/9/10 are a whole lot better on a good night. Nobody seems to really care and they aren't interested in fixing it.