98 replies to this topic

#76 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

Anymore suggestions please?

Software upgrade?

Would be nice to know what the device is.

This may help in searching for an answer :)

At a minimum: Make, model, links to information available on-line, eg sales brochures, user manual.....

#77 oldsalt

oldsalt

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Software upgrade?

Would be nice to know what the device is.

This may help in searching for an answer :)

At a minimum: Make, model, links to information available on-line, eg sales brochures, user manual.....

Sorry, here it is

http://www.resundz.c..._Dual_Tune.html

Could this be the problem?

The channel ABC 24 hr News Channel is HD and is broadcast in MPEG 4 (Video and Audio?)

The unit I have has the following audio capabilities:

Audio Decoder:
Standard: ISO/IEC 11172-3
Audio Decoder: MPEG-2 / HE_AAC(DD/DD+ optional)
Audio Channel: R/L/ST
Audio Output: 1Vpp 47Kohm Adjustable With E Volume

There are other mobile MPEG 4 tuners on the market and 99% of them I have found have:

Audio decode standard: MPEG-1, and-2,layer and 2, MPEG-4, HE-AAC

Could the problem be that whilst my tuner can receive MPEG 4 video signals, I doesn't have the capability top receive audio in MPEG 4?

#78 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,626 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Oldsalt,
ABC24's and SBSHD images are 1280 x 720p/50. It is not possible to produce PAL composite output at 50 frame/s. The specifications say that the component analog output of HD 1920x1080i/1920x720p is ok. However if the display cannot accept these signals then you won't get a viewable picture.

The only radiated MPEG-4 in Australia is in the 3-D trials.

The only way to get a picture is to purchase a 12V, HD display.

AlanH

#79 oldsalt

oldsalt

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Oldsalt,
ABC24's and SBSHD images are 1280 x 720p/50. It is not possible to produce PAL composite output at 50 frame/s. The specifications say that the component analog output of HD 1920x1080i/1920x720p is ok. However if the display cannot accept these signals then you won't get a viewable picture.

The only radiated MPEG-4 in Australia is in the 3-D trials.

The only way to get a picture is to purchase a 12V, HD display.

AlanH

Thanks, however, as I have said I do get a real good picture, it's the audio that's missing.

The head unit is High Def.

#80 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,626 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Oldsalt,
The lack of sound is due to the sound is in Dolby Digital which is not on your list of specifications. Dolby Digital is also used by other HD channels such as 7mate, GEM and One HD.

AlanH

#81 Will Plumridge

Will Plumridge

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

GTS/BKN have announced today that there will be a delay in starting the second and third RF channels and hence the remaining five commercial channels. The new estimate is September or October 2011. This is due to transmitters coming from Japan being delayed.

http://www.gtsbkn.com.au/s_cms/

No word from WIN yet about the rest of the regional SA areas.

Regards,
Will

#82 duckhammer

duckhammer

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

HELP DAB+ Reception issues intermittent in SOME devices!
Been enjoying Dab+ radio for well over 2 yrs now right up to July 2012 when suddenly All commercial stations hear one word then nothing on 2 of 4 devices.
Yet All ABC & SBS channels work fine - on my Pure One Dab+ receiver, commercials work fine on my IPad 3 with the ARN Dab+ App.

But my Walkman style Cowon D2+ pocket LCD radio FM &DAB+ with 2" Color LCD worked all channels up to July 2012 - when suddenly post July, only receives one word or blip from any commercial station... Yet Both ABC & SBS Channels ALL work fine - about 10 channels. The FM radio still works fine.
Odd thing is I get the same result on my Samsung Galaxy S2 Phone App 'ARN' DAB+ (Android, current model).Only Abc/SBS radio channels - but with Any commercial ch just a blip/ bar or syllable then seems to be buffering with no sound!

2 years of everything great and now suddenly on 2 different devices Commercial channels are not working, or maybe constantly bufferring like YouTube can do at times.
So, the Pure One Radio & IPad 3 work perfectly. Yet both Cowon D2+ pocket LCD radio don't - with just hearing one word or music bar then nothing, yet Both Abc & SBS work fine, I guess they use the same transmitters?

I live in Willunga 45km south of Adelaide and have line of sight with the Tv Tranmitters on Mt. Lofty, so antennas are Not an issue.
2 Months of reception issues with Cowon Dab+ LCD radio & Android App is frustrating after 2yrs perfect.
Have checked for updates from Cowon & Android but no updates about.
MANY other users have same problem I found after a few Google searches. My DTV's both have 99% signal so it's not that.
Different headphones make no change with Walkman Cowon D2+. (headphones are antenna) Trying outdoor use is no change.
All of Aug/Sept have No commercial channels on Cowon or Samsung phone, only Pure One and IPad 3 App ARN work now.
Any ideas please ? Android no help, & Cowon Aust. Website is down but Cowon.com works fine but they don't really deal with Dab+ overseas So no help there either.
Thanks Laurie

#83 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Which Android app are you using exactly (link to android store). AFAIK all android DAB apps just streamed over the phones data connection.

#84 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,626 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

Duckhammer,
Your Pure radio is the only one receiving the DAB+ signal from Mt Lofty. You have to buy an addon plug in DAB+ receiver to make the other devices receive Mt Lofty.

Search http://www.dtvforum....hp?showforum=76 for more information about digital radio in this strand.

AlanH

#85 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,773 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Your Pure radio is the only one receiving the DAB+ signal from Mt Lofty. You have to buy an addon plug in DAB+ receiver to make the other devices receive Mt Lofty.

Incorrect. The Cowon D2+ DAB+ is a radio, and so is also receiving broadcast DAB, presumably from Mt. Lofty.

So apparently, according to their post, duckhammer has the following:
  • one DAB+ receiver (Pure One) & one streaming device (iPad) that work OK on both ABC & commercial channels
  • one DAB+ receiver (Cowon) & one streaming device (SII) that work work OK on ABC channels but not commercial channels
Is that correct, duckhammer? Because it seems to be an odd mix of combinations - it makes much more sense that the Pure One & Cowon work OK, but the iPad & SII don't.

#86 ChristianH

ChristianH

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hello, I hope someone might be able to assist me. I have a home in Moonta Bay, South Australia. Our signal comes from Port Pirie. I have a New Hills Truspec TSF2851 Antenna with a Lara PSU6F masthead amplifier, about 10 metres high with a pretty clear aspect. During the Grand Final I lost GTS/BKN (UHF 44) about half way in, and generally do not have it now. If it does come back then SC9 tends to pixelate.

The signal strength shown on my Panasonic LCD and plasma when the signal is gone is 10, but quality is zero. This is the same whether the amplifier is at low or high, and at any gain adjustment. If I turn it off I lose all channels.

Regar, Chris

#87 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,626 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Christian,
The first question is what is the reception of the other networks like?

Your transmissions are coming from The Bluff via Wirraburra from very high powered transmitters. All transmitters are of equal power.

Your amplifier is http://www.hillsante...58233_FLYER.pdf, you have quoted the power supply for it. The amplifier is on the pole under the antenna.

No signal will pass through an amplifier if the power is off.

Goto http://www.digitalready.gov.au/ and type in your exact address. Are you in a good reception area. Your installation is very sensitive.

Alanh

#88 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,820 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hello, I hope someone might be able to assist me.

Hi Chris,

While I have no experience for your area.....

If mySwitch shows you are in a marginal reception area, the type & position of antenna are critical, as is the use of a masthead amplifier.

Without a measuring device with traceable accuracy, you might find yourself hard pressed to find the sweet spot for the antenna.

Similarly, the use of a correctly configured masthead amplifier is also conditional upon the signal strength & quality of a correctly positioned antenna.

Sometimes (but not always) in a blocked signal path area, an antenna mounted lower down, can perform better than one mounted higher.

There may be no quick & simple answer: Sometimes it pays to get someone with the smarts in to help with your installation.

Marc.

#89 ChristianH

ChristianH

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Thanks Alan and Mbozo. Alan you are correct about which amplifier I have. I installed the new antenna and amp as I was getting terrible reception from antennas that were 10 years old, a mix of 3, 2 pointed to Adelaide and a small UHF antenna to the bluff. As soon as got rid of the old 3, and put up the new antenna and amp it was was perfect, but I don't live there so only see it intermittently. It had been good for approx 5 days before I lost GTS/BKN during the afl grand final. The website you suggested says I should have good coverage. Does this mean I might get reception without the amplifier? I will also confess when I installed the antenna I pretty well just pointed it north, like most of the other ones around me. The website says it needs to be 28 degrees, which might be a problem?

As for other reception, even when I lose ch44 I get all of the others from the bluff perfectly. When it did come back one morning I could not get sc9 properly anymore. As mentioned my tv is saying it is getting 10 from 10 on signal strength, but 0 from 10 for quality. This is in both rooms on different tv's which makes it less likely to be a distribution problem, unless the splitter is the cause? When I am getting nil for quality on ch44 the other ones from the bluff, ie sc9 and sc10 are 10 from 10.

I hope all this makes sense.

Regards,

Chris

#90 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,820 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I hope all this makes sense.

When your masthead is turned down with the gain switch on low, it is not supplying any gain, only a small amount of noise, which shouldn't be affecting the signal too much.

Therefore, you could try bypassing the amplifier with a F connector barrel, and see what the result is then.

Presumably you have updated the coaxial cable at the same time, if you had the mast down to change the antenna over.

While the mySwitch site may show good signal strength for your location, this is a guide only.

It doesn't give any indication of the expected signal quality.

If there are areas of variable coverage around your location, I would be inclined to consider that your antenna positioning is going to be critical.

The Panasonic showing strength 10, quality 0 suggests to me (obviously, perhaps), there is a signal quality issue. You could try retuning the TV, if not already tried, although I can't see how this would change things.

If you are going to lower the mast, I'd be trying the antenna lower down, and adjusting orientation, just to see if it causes an improvement.

Bear in mind, my previous comment about antenna type & position being critical to good reception*.

Good luck,
Marc.

*Last week I dropped a 6.5M mast installed on the second level of a house, (in the analogue days, for reception in a bad area), about the same distance from the transmitter as you. After an hour or so of testing, the best spot found was 1 meter above the same roof, about 3 meters diagonally lower down from the ridge where the foot of the mast was secured. This was in an area of terrain & vegetation blocked reception.

#91 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,626 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Christian,
I suggest that you have too much signal.
Bypass the amplifer under the antenna and then adjust direction for maximum signal. Remember that the quality should be maximised once you have a signal.

If you are using a compass for direction there is an offset for magnetic to true north and also the boom of the antenna may be of steel which can become magnetised which will cause errors.

See how you go.

Alanh

#92 minsik

minsik

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

hey is Mount Gambier
tv off air totally tonight? all channels?

#93 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hi I am trying to help my brother in the Moonta Bay area.

Using UHF signal and has recently lost ch7 logical channels only.

Everything else works OK including SBS multiplex.

What frequency should he enter into the manual tuning table for Port Pirie?

What are the logical ch. number for the Kadina translator, what are the frequencies involved and what is the best antenna model for that TX?

Thankyou in advance - WolfieBoy

#94 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,820 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

What frequency should he enter into the manual tuning table for Port Pirie?

From the myswitch site: (you can enter your address here to get a guide on your reception possibilities.)

641.5MHz channel 44

what is the best antenna model for that TX?

Hard to say, if you are in a marginal reception area, you may have to play with the location of your current antenna. Without measuring the strength & quality of the signal from the antenna, it's not possible to determine if a masthead amplifier (if one is not already fitted) would improve matters.

Based on similar coverage for areas where I install, my preference is usually one of these.

#95 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thank you M'bozo the field survey map info is very helpful.

Do you now the UHF frequency for Seven Network and the corresponding logical channel numbers?

Sorry I live in Adelaide - just know that Ten is 5, 55 etc. Since Seven was the only network not tuned cn only assume the use 6, 60 62 etc - is that correct. The actual UHF frequency would bevery helpfull.

Hope I am not asking for too much but the websites I googled never had the full information on them, that I could find .

Thank you for helping so far - much appreciated :-)

#96 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

sorry for the missing letters - not sure why, hope you an follow what I meant. :-)

#97 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,820 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Do you now the UHF frequency for Seven Network and the corresponding logical channel numbers?

Sorry, didn't put it all in.

If you get the mySwitch site up again, when you have put the address in, on the LHS of the page, under "Coverage Summary", click on "Channels for Spencer Gulf North", & that will give you the details of the channels available & frequencies, eg:

Southern Cross 7 is 6, 7TWO is 62, 7mate is 63, frequency is 641.5MHz.

Hope that helps.

(Last time i was in Moonta was 4 years ago almost to the day. Bloody hot there if I recall correctly.)

#98 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

M'bzo - I have just found the button on your link for the transmitter HF channel numbers along with the actual frequency.

Then I realised you gave me the Network 7 info. - I did not know 44 was Seven - LOL

So thankyou very much for your help. That Link was what I needed desperately - Thanks again for being so helpful - WolfiBoy :-)

#99 WolfieBoy

WolfieBoy

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

I check my text and it still drops a letter sometimes like UHF became HF for some reason. I know it is UHF of course. Thankyou for your 2nd reply and extra info and yes it will be a hot week in Moonta but they have air conditioning to escape the heat. :-)