Get The Best Reception, Regional Sa

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 samick

samick

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hi, and thanks M'bozo and alan for your suggestions-I'll try and keep you all posted as to what happens, did I mention that our set is the 22" one?

I already took it back for the expert electronics blokes to have a look at the tuner inside or to at least try and electronics test it (if thats possible)
It's still under warranty and only 5months old, it would be a pity if a whole lot are affected-it might be the case, they do after all come out of china.

alan, I meant to tell you that I was shown how to recieve the "strong" signal from the nearest tower-Mt. Newland?? by plugging ariel back in at 53uhf?
One more interesting fact is we are about 1.2km? (as the crow flys) from a phone tower you can see it from the kitchen window, any thoughts?
cheers I'll let you all know what happens.

#27 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

samick,
Your best type of antenna is a UHF phased array. The signal is vertically polarised, so the length of the reflector should be horizontal.
AlanH

#28 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

samick.,

Hopefully it will be a TV problem that can be sorted.

Reckon Newland Hill is where your signals would most likely come from, using an antenna like this click

With a coverage map courtesy of the ABC here

Marc.

EDIT: correct linking errors

Edited by M'bozo, 14 July 2008 - 04:46 PM.

#29 samick

samick

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

samick,
Your best type of antenna is a UHF phased array. The signal is vertically polarised, so the length of the reflector should be horizontal.
AlanH

Hi Alan, Samick
I have done everything that everyone has suggested, but we still have pixillating problems-is this the nature of digital??? some variance in how the signal is sent???
should quad shield be used the entire run of cable or just in side from the wall plate??

#30 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

samick,
Does it pixellate all the time or only when electrical devices are switched on and off, particularly things which contain motors such as fridges, air con etc?

AlanH

#31 gravelman

gravelman

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Hi all,
Would someone tell me how i could get HD tv in the middle of Angaston? What sort of cost would be involved?
I am sick of not being able to get it here. The council believes the government should pay, and the government says the council should pay? I just want someone to pay and just do it. I have sent letters to both and they just kepp passing the buck. When is the cut off date for analog?

Thanks.

#32 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

gravelman,
The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is in charge of the change to digital.
The new Minister, Senator Conroy has told all, that all capital city (including Adelaide) analog TV transmitters will be switched off at the end of next year.
The Department has been tasked by the Minister to produce a changeover timetable.
I made a submission to this enquiry pointing out the all capital city translators including Angaston will need conversion to digital.

Nearly all translators except Victor Harbour but including Angaston in the outer Adelaide area are owned by the local councils.

I suggest you contact your local council and get them to investigate with the Department who will pay for the upgrade.

The cheapest option would be to warn the residents to all buy either intergrated digital TVs or HD Set Top Boxes by a nominated date. Then the transmitters can be changed over rather than having to have 10 transmitters for 5 programs. This will reduce costs and since the analog ones will not be required much longer is the best option. In smaller areas a bulk purchase of STBs will also reduce the prices to the residents.

Let me know how you get on with the council

AlanH

#33 ray

ray

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

The new Minister, Senator Conroy has told all, that all capital city (including Adelaide) analog TV transmitters will be switched off at the end of next year.
AlanH

Alan, as I've tried to point out before - no, he hasn't said metros will turn off at the end of next year. This was an administrative change to allow the timetable to be planned and I suspect metro switchover is still a number of years away yet.

Ray

#34 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,613 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

...no, he hasn't said metros will turn off at the end of next year. This was an administrative change to allow the timetable to be planned and I suspect metro switchover is still a number of years away yet.
Ray

You might be right about the extra delay.
In the meantime, Sen Conroy needs to update his web pages then...

http://www.minister....leases/2007/003
Digital switchover date confirmed (Release dated 18 Dec 2007)
Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, today confirmed that the first firm steps had been taken on the road to completing switchover by the end of 2013.
“Accordingly, I have amended the date for commencement of digital only transmission in metropolitan markets to December 2009. This will allow time for the Taskforce and industry to develop a detailed switchover timetable for all of Australia.”

#35 Parasite

Parasite

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

Wrong Thread.

Edited by Parasite, 21 August 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#36 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

Parasite,

It's difficult to advise without accurate signal measurements.

The antenna you are using is not ideal, as it has low gain and is also designed to include bands 1 & 2, which can pick up impulse noise interference.

Ghosting on analogue is an indication that you will have high digital 'bit errors' which cause loss of reception.

As your signal path is obstructed, a Hills CA16 phased array for VHF and a Fracarro PU4A phased array (or similar) for UHF should provide much better results.

You can combine the two antennas with your existing amp.

Ideally, you need to be able to measure the signals accurately to determine the best mounting location and mast height, which gives the best signal quality (lowest bit error ratio).

It's even possible relocation of your existing antenna may work, once accurate signal measurements are determined with a propper site test.

#37 ray

ray

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

You might be right about the extra delay.
In the meantime, Sen Conroy needs to update his web pages then...

http://www.minister....leases/2007/003
Digital switchover date confirmed (Release dated 18 Dec 2007)
Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, today confirmed that the first firm steps had been taken on the road to completing switchover by the end of 2013.
“Accordingly, I have amended the date for commencement of digital only transmission in metropolitan markets to December 2009. This will allow time for the Taskforce and industry to develop a detailed switchover timetable for all of Australia.”

Hi Charles,

I agree that the press release is unfortunately worded. See my comments on the press release and background to the 2009 date is at the end of the thread What's Going To Happen To The 31 Community Channels?, When analogue is switched off in 2009

Ray

#38 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Ray,
The amended date delays the switch off by a year. This is necessary because there are quite a number of translators in the outer areas around the capital cities which do not have digital translators yet. In addition there is a huge number of master antenna systems in blocks of units which are unable to distribute digital signals. The DBCDE is currently formulating a conversion plan for the whole country. This must be released prior to the end of the year. Currently all high power digital transmitters have been installed with 7 left to go. Five of these are in country WA. There is still many medium and even more low powered transmitters to go.

Community station Access 31 Perth has already closed because it was not funded for digital conversion, even though it had a new high powered digital capable transmitter. The ACMA says that there is 40 % of the audience with digital receivers. So if they switched from analog to digital it would have only had 40 % of the audience and building. This would have taken too long to keep financially afloat.

AlanH

#39 ray

ray

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Ray,
The amended date delays the switch off by a year. This is necessary because there are quite a number of translators in the outer areas around the capital cities which do not have digital translators yet. In addition there is a huge number of master antenna systems in blocks of units which are unable to distribute digital signals. The DBCDE is currently formulating a conversion plan for the whole country. This must be released prior to the end of the year. Currently all high power digital transmitters have been installed with 7 left to go. Five of these are in country WA. There is still many medium and even more low powered transmitters to go.

Community station Access 31 Perth has already closed because it was not funded for digital conversion, even though it had a new high powered digital capable transmitter. The ACMA says that there is 40 % of the audience with digital receivers. So if they switched from analog to digital it would have only had 40 % of the audience and building. This would have taken too long to keep financially afloat.

AlanH

Hi Alan

All the debate about dates, particularly metros at end of 2009, is conjecture until, as you state, the DBCDE Taskforce releases the timetable by the end of the year. How about we wait until the timetable is released and see what is proposed?

Ray

#40 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,613 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

I agree that the press release is unfortunately worded. See my comments on the press release and background to the 2009 date is at the end of the thread What's Going To Happen To The 31 Community Channels?, When analogue is switched off in 2009

Hi Ray,
That's a big thread you linked to. And I see this has come up a few times before. :) With the same 'old' Conroy docs referred to.

So in skimming, rather than a full documentation read, it seems most pieces are in place to allow everything to slip right out as far as they want really. I guess their timetable is the only thing that will outline what might happen.

#41 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:35 PM

All,
If you read all the posts you will see that considerable money has been allocated to achieve this. The government is subsidising the broadcasters to the tune of $80 million per year to keep digital transmitters on air. As soon as analog is off, they will not have to pay this money.

For the doubting Thomas, the USA is switching off all analog TV February next year.

AlanH

#42 ray

ray

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

All,
If you read all the posts you will see that considerable money has been allocated to achieve this. The government is subsidising the broadcasters to the tune of $80 million per year to keep digital transmitters on air. As soon as analog is off, they will not have to pay this money.

For the doubting Thomas, the USA is switching off all analog TV February next year.

AlanH

Hi Alan

It's never quite that simple. See the info at http://www.dtv.gov/c...rner.html#faq22 on the thousands of US low power and translator services (equivalent to our retransmission and community funded services) which aren't required to switch to digital!

Ray

#43 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

Ray,
They will be forced to either put a digital receiver and NTSC encoder in between the receiving antenna and the analog transmitter to keep broadcasting. The other problem will be the supply of sets capable of NTSC reception will drop when they are no longer required.

This is not what is happening here.

Conroy is promising to have the analog shutdown for the whole of Australia complete by 2013. It will be a progressive closure by geographic region, starting with metropolitan areas. The UK is doing their shutdown by geographic area and it has already started.

AlanH

#44 anzac

anzac

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hi there,

I've just purchased a Samsung ps42c91hdx tv today, I've plugged it in and I can get all the analogue channels however when it comes to digital it finds 7 channels all of which are ABC and when you do go to look at them it is either laggy or pixelated or says no signal, i cannot seem to even find 7 9 or 10 HD. I'm in mannum south australia and my antenna is on a 5m mast which points towards the crafers transmitter which is some 60 odd kms away. Would it be likely that it is my antenna set-up causing this? My brother in law who is also in mannum is able to get the digital channels fine with his own set top box, any help for this newb would be great.

#45 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,613 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

I've just purchased a Samsung ps42c91hdx tv today, I've plugged it in and I can get all the analogue channels however when it comes to digital it finds 7 channels all of which are ABC and when you do go to look at them it is either laggy or pixelated or says no signal, i cannot seem to even find 7 9 or 10 HD. I'm in mannum south australia and my antenna is on a 5m mast which points towards the crafers transmitter which is some 60 odd kms away. Would it be likely that it is my antenna set-up causing this? My brother in law who is also in mannum is able to get the digital channels fine with his own set top box, any help for this newb would be great.

It does seem a bit strange that you say you can receive analogue fine, but that you only seem to be getting ABC (digital CH12 VHF). The Crafers transmitter details are shown below, presumably these are the channels you should be receiving.
What is the picture quality like on analogue? Are there multiple images at all (echoes/ghosting), weak signal snowy pictures? Or is it crsip and clean on all channels?

Have you ever received digital reception OK at your place? With an STB or digital TV? Do you know that digital reception should work OK at your place, or is that an unknown?

Could you try your brother in law's STB at your place just to see how it goes?

With a 5m mast there, you have a pretty large antenna rig. Are most of your neighbours using large mast systems? How long has the antenna rig been operating? Do you know if you have an amplifier on it? How many antenna outlets in your house does it connect to?

These are the channels from the main transmitters at Summit Road, Crafers (Mount Lofty).
[i]SAS VHF 6 Hor 177.5 MHz Channel 7/10 Site 115 Summit Road CRAFERS
NWS VHF 8 Hor 191.625 MHz NWS 9 site 109 Summit Road CRAFERS
ADS VHF 11 Hor 219.5 MHz Channel 7/10 Site 115 Summit Road CRAFERS
ABS VHF 12 Hor 226.5 MHz ntl Tower Summit Road CRAFERS
SBS UHF 33 Hor 564.5 MHz ntl Tower Summit Road CRAFERS

#46 anzac

anzac

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

It does seem a bit strange that you say you can receive analogue fine, but that you only seem to be getting ABC (digital CH12 VHF). The Crafers transmitter details are shown below, presumably these are the channels you should be receiving.
What is the picture quality like on analogue? Are there multiple images at all (echoes/ghosting), weak signal snowy pictures? Or is it crsip and clean on all channels?

Have you ever received digital reception OK at your place? With an STB or digital TV? Do you know that digital reception should work OK at your place, or is that an unknown?

Could you try your brother in law's STB at your place just to see how it goes?

With a 5m mast there, you have a pretty large antenna rig. Are most of your neighbours using large mast systems? How long has the antenna rig been operating? Do you know if you have an amplifier on it? How many antenna outlets in your house does it connect to?

Picture quality on analogue is ok, no different to my 5 yr old 80cm tube tv. When viewing the abc digital channels it pixelates then comes back with weak signal.

Prior to purchasing this tv I had never tried digital reception so it is unknown whether it works here or not.

I did try my brother in laws set top box, it was pre programmed with the channels but it did not pick up anything, it just sat there searching for a signal.

my close neighbours are using large masts, the area is quite high and low so some of us have larger rigs than others. We have a booster box, I assume this is the amplifier. We have 3 antenna outlets, two in the house and oone in the granny flat, each has 1 tv hooked up to it.

We'll be moving in a few months as we are building a new house so I'm not overly concerned but will be if this is a tv problem rather than reception. to me it seems reception related. any help and advice is appreciated.

#47 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,613 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

I did try my brother in laws set top box, it was pre programmed with the channels but it did not pick up anything, it just sat there searching for a signal.

We'll be moving in a few months as we are building a new house so I'm not overly concerned but will be if this is a tv problem rather than reception. to me it seems reception related. any help and advice is appreciated.

Presumably the channels that your brother in law's STB is set up for are the same as those you should be receiving. And the antennas would be pointing in the same direction then.
If his STB doesn't work at your place, but did at his, then it would point to some sort of reception issue I would think.

With your setup there, and the steps you have now tried, it probably is the time to call someone in who can use a meter to see just what is happening there. But if you are about to move, that probably isn't a priority...

#48 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

Anzac,
Where are you?

AlanH

#49 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

I'm in mannum south australia and my antenna is on a 5m mast which points towards the crafers transmitter which is some 60 odd kms away.

And for those whose memory is longer than 30 days, there is this discussion here.

#50 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

M'Bozo,
Thanks.
The presence of a translator indicates its a difficult reception area.
Anzac,
I suggest you read

AlanH