• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#51 JaGuR

JaGuR

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

JaGuR,
If you look at the transmitter list spreadsheet for Bald Knob you will find the channels you are having trouble with are the highest numbers. You do not need the channels below channel 36 for digital reception. So you need a high gain band 5 Yagi. See the links in the first post. High gain has lots of db. If you have an antenna which looks like a barbeque grate, then I would instead add a band 5 masthead amplifier. (Kingray MHU44b5...)See links on masthead amplifiers.

AlanH

Thanks Alanh,

Is this what I need, any good ?

Hills Trumatch antenna UHF TMX18B5

Cheers

Edited by JaGuR, 17 October 2008 - 12:42 PM.

#52 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

JaGuR,
Yes, check if you need the supprort brace as well.

AlanH

#53 thomfam

thomfam

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

I just found I was no longer getting my Sunshine Coast HD7 (channel 60). It had 'disappeared' After a rescan all back again.

I guess the recent storms may have knocked my Digital TV Tuner around!

I found I could get Ch60 on my PC, but not on my TV!

All OK now!

#54 timbo

timbo

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi All,

I'm after some advice for my Father-in-law who lives in Calty Close Verrierdale Qld 4562. (which is between Eumundi and Tewantin).
(Google maps shows it up quite well.)

He has a Phased Array antenna (installed professionally) soon after moving-in in 1999.
It is mounted on a very high pole with 3 wire guides supporting the pole. (like 6 mtrs up!).
He thinks there is an amplifier in the roof.
It is directed towards to the Dulong translator site at Nambour.
At this stage he only has an analog TV.
Reception is poor to very poor for all channels - but he can at least receive them all.

Whilst recently visiting him over the festive season (and experiencing his poor tv reception) I was wondering about installing a digital stb.
This led me to re-visit the DTV forum and consider exactly where he should be receiving tv reception from.

Using the ABC Reception Advice website - it would appear to me that the Sunrise Road site at Tewantin is much closer than the Nambour site -
so depending on local terrain issues - it should provide much better reception. But it is only a 'Community' power and not the 'Town' power of the Nambour site?
The maps provided are pretty rough (I guess they are only a guide) - his site is probably in the 'no-mans land' area between both coverages.
Does anyone know when the Sunrise Rd site started transmissions?
I noticed that his neighbours antenna (also a phased array) and only installed in the last 2 years is pointing towards Nambour (ie south) and not Sunrise Rd (ie North).

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or better still some experience with TV reception in this immediate area??
Recommendations for a good antenna installer would also be welcomed.
(Of course I will review the cabling, upgrade to RG6 and F connectors, etc, etc as time go bye).

My father-in-law is in his 70's and doesn't complain about anything and reckons the receiption's ok so long as you don't get to close to the telly.
Since we live in Brisbane we don't visit too often - so this might become my 'project' for 2009.
Next visit I'll take our STB up for a trial and see what we can see.

Cheers,

Tim.

Edit - added comment about reviewing cabling and connectors.

Edited by timbo, 03 January 2009 - 12:55 PM.

#55 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Tim,
Forget Tewantin, 1 km north of you there is a hill which will block the signal. Tewantin, are very low powered transmitters. A path length of 6 km nearly due north does not help due to the hill.

Dulong is the correct choice. The path is clear and is only 20 km away direction 205 .

The first thing to do is to make sure the amplifier is powered. One of the antenna points must have a power inserter plugged in between the TV and the wall. The other end of the inserter is a plug pack power supply whcih should be plugged into the power point and the pp switched on. If there is only one antenna point this is where it should be. If there is more than one point, then only one will power the amplifier.

Once the antenna problem is solved, I would install a STB so that subtitling (teletext page 801) can be seen. This will greatly improve the enjoyment of the programs because he may be hard of hearing. It is different to SBS in that each person speaking is a different colour text and sounds are identified

Post your results here

AlanH

#56 timbo

timbo

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Tim,
Forget Tewantin, 1 km north of you there is a hill which will block the signal. Tewantin, are very low powered transmitters. A path length of 6 km nearly due north does not help due to the hill.

Dulong is the correct choice. The path is clear and is only 20 km away direction 205 .

The first thing to do is to make sure the amplifier is powered. One of the antenna points must have a power inserter plugged in between the TV and the wall. The other end of the inserter is a plug pack power supply whcih should be plugged into the power point and the pp switched on. If there is only one antenna point this is where it should be. If there is more than one point, then only one will power the amplifier.

Once the antenna problem is solved, I would install a STB so that subtitling (teletext page 801) can be seen. This will greatly improve the enjoyment of the programs because he may be hard of hearing. It is different to SBS in that each person speaking is a different colour text and sounds are identified

Post your results here

AlanH

Thanks Alan, this is a great start for me (and in quick time too).
At least I know that his antenna is pointing in the right direction (generally speaking) and I won't waste my time mucking around with changing the setup to point north only to be dissapointed.
Next time we visit I'll check out the amplifier setup and re-post.

Many thanks.

Tim.

#57 ttsoarer

ttsoarer

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Alan, this is a great start for me (and in quick time too).
At least I know that his antenna is pointing in the right direction (generally speaking) and I won't waste my time mucking around with changing the setup to point north only to be dissapointed.
Next time we visit I'll check out the amplifier setup and re-post.

Many thanks.

Tim.

Tim i can also confirm Dulong , i lived about 5 km's to the north from that location and we received all TV from Dulong , Tewantin gave good signal but shadowing was terrible

#58 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

TTsoarer,
His biggest problem is a hill about 1 km from his place.

Multiple ghosting may be due to the antenna orientation and type. It should be a phased array on its side to match the transmitter. This is different to what is required for Dulong.

AlanH

#59 rdn

rdn

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Hi guys, haven't been around here for a while...

Just having some troubles picking up win in my area (Marcus Beach) it's getting decent signal strength however it's still "skipping" for the want of a better word

Hi orestes,

I am in the Peregian area behind the hill with aerial grazing the top of the hill and have been using Digital for more than 3 years. My aerial points towards Sunrise Road. WIN is the highest frequency channel with the worst reception. It always seems to be bad early and late in the day when line of site is more important. ABC is next worst with again a high frequency. It was particularly bad over Christmas but was better over New Year and I had to use Analog which gave good reception. Note that ABC analog is at a much lower frequency. Seven is quite good with only occasional dropouts. Ten and SBS are perfect.

One of my STB's is a DSE and it gives signal strength and more importantly signal quality. The quality is the most important one. My strengths are all mostly above 90% with SBS and TEN giving 98% strength and quality. When ABC drops below 75% I get problems.

Ron

#60 hookuprob

hookuprob

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Not sure if this is going up in the right area, but i am in Mudjimba, i can get pretty much every sd, and hd channel except for Ten HD, can anyone help... i have the Teac HDR1600T

#61 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

RDN,
You should be using a UHF phased array on its side (ie vertically polarised) pointed at Broadcast Site Sunrise Rd TEWANTIN.

This should give you no problems at all unless there is an antenna system fault. There is an antenna drawings link in the first post in this strand to enable you to recognise the type.

AlanH

#62 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hookupprob,
You are 18 km from the Dulong transmitters. The bearing is 266 degrees which is nearly pointing westward. You have a clear path. You need a wideband UHF yagi.

Your problem is likely to be either an antenna fault or a cabling fault. I also suspect that SBS is giving trouble as well.

Read the first post in this strand. There is a link to band 4&5 antennas. You have horizontal polarisation.

AlanH

#63 hookuprob

hookuprob

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

Hookupprob,
You are 18 km from the Dulong transmitters. The bearing is 266 degrees which is nearly pointing westward. You have a clear path. You need a wideband UHF yagi.

Your problem is likely to be either an antenna fault or a cabling fault. I also suspect that SBS is giving trouble as well.

Read the first post in this strand. There is a link to band 4&5 antennas. You have horizontal polarisation.

AlanH

Thanks for the quick as response Alan, reading through forums i learnt that SBS and ten hd normally play up together, but i get all the SBS channels... very clearly... do you think it might be the set top box....? i live in a complex and i would not have a clue where the antenna is... i will ask management today... could i add like a booster to help with signal strength?

#64 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

hookuprob,
You did not say you were in a complex. They use Master Antenna TV systems (MATV).
In digital the channels used for SBS and TNQ are in band 4 and all other stations including all analog are in band 5.
It is highly likely that your MATV system is not designed to carry channels 36 & 47 for digital. The distribution system needs amplifiers and perhaps an antenna covering those channels. Adding an amplifier at you outlet will not help. It is likely that all users will not be able to get these digital channels either.

Ask the building manager to read this Australian Building Codes Board Digital TV Antenna Systems

AlanH

#65 custom

custom

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the quick as response Alan, reading through forums i learnt that SBS and ten hd normally play up together, but i get all the SBS channels... very clearly... do you think it might be the set top box....? i live in a complex and i would not have a clue where the antenna is... i will ask management today... could i add like a booster to help with signal strength?

Mate. What buildig /complex are you in. i know most of the systems around there so can tell you if the 10 should be getting thru:)

#66 hookuprob

hookuprob

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Mate. What buildig /complex are you in. i know most of the systems around there so can tell you if the 10 should be getting thru:)

Hey mate, i talked to the office guys and they reckon they need to get some digital system that will cost thousands...blah blah... but i am at Pacific Paradise Resort... so yeh any info on whether i should be getting Ten HD would be awesome.... (not sure if i mentioned but i get pretty much every channel in SD and all the other in HD including SBS but NOT 10 which is really annoying because i wanted to watch the superbowl... hahaha....

Thanks

#67 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

hookuprob,
I assume that the Pacific Paradise Resort is using a single antenna to feed all the dwelliings. If this is the case, then my original advice remains.
They will have to do this upgrade within the next 3 years otherwise they will loose TV. As the switch off date gets closer the price will go up.

AlanH

#68 hhendo

hhendo

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

If anyone can give some advice

I live in Quiet Valley Rd on the northside of Buderim off Lindsay Rd. I have an HD set top box and LCD TV.
I am able to receive the following through the HD STB - SC10 Sunshine, SC10HD demonstration, SC10, SBS HD, SBS2, SBS3, SBS4.
However I am unable to receive any of ABC, 7, 9 or WIN.
Could this be due to my location? My antenna is aimed towards Nambour - I do not receive any of the Brisbane analogue broadcasts.

#69 lltotes

lltotes

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi alanh, posted in the wrong spot before.
I have read the advice given at the beginnig of this forum and tried all the obvious that are within my capabilities but still have the following problem.Would be grateful for some advice.

Bought a Next Wave TDR2290 SD STB about 8mths ago and live in Maroochydore (sunshine coast). Get all the commercial stations and SBS fine although 10 plays up and pixilates at times. However, have always had problems getting and keeping ABC. Can get it very late at night sometimes and if the weather is overcast.

Since we live in a block of units I originaly suspected that the problem was due to an old aerial or booster box.... or something well out of my understanding. Since units are apparently notorious for problems, we waited until all the other residents had converted over to digital. I now find that 7 out of 10 of the units are able to pick up all stations beautifuly. The remaining, of which I am still one, do not get the ABC eccept under the conditions I previously described.

We've replaced the aerial cable (from wall to STB) with a RG6 cable and added a DigiMatch TV Amplifier, however the ABC signal still hangs around the 40 mark and the quality jumps between 0 and 20, (it's only when it reaches 24 that we get a picture). The amplifier only served to stuff with the analog signal, which is the only way we can see the ABC most of the time.

I probably should also mention that we have tuned the stations in manually at different times alternately trying Brisbane and Nambour frequencies since the outside aerial is apparently positioned to pick up both.

Could my problem still be aerial or some other exterior component even though other residents reception is good? Or should we go buy a better STB or HD STB? Or am I doing something else wrong??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#70 Ezra

Ezra

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi

Looking at getting a new digital antenna, have a uhf one currently. Could I get some advise about what type i should purchase.

Thanks

Ezra

#71 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

Ezra,
Read the first post in this strand. Look at the transmitter list link for Sunshine Coast. There is currently 5 transmitter sites on the Sunshine Coast. If you want to watch any of these stations except the ones for Noosa/Tewantin (Sunrise Rd Tewantin) then you need a band 5 antenna (see Unipolar band 5 link). If you watch Noosa/Tewantin transmitter you need a UHF phased array.

AlanH

#72 jaaa

jaaa

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Have read through other posts - not sure if I should ask question here or in general section - but it is question specific to SC reception.

Is it possible to receive the new Ten sports network on the SC? Particularly interested in the Noosa area.

Live in Noosa/Sunshine area & can get pretty good reception from Tewantin (I think) for digital - on both TV & USB tuners. But all are regional stations. Assume have to pick up Bris. to get Sport channel. Is it possible to pick up Ch. 10 "One" Bris. in this area?

Using only older tall (think boosted) external aerial currently. (In rental property - so won't be able to make permanent aerial adjustment.)

#73 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:53 PM

jaaa,
It sounds as if you will have to wait until Southern Cross decides to transmit the OneHD program stream.

AlanH

#74 jaaa

jaaa

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

jaaa,
It sounds as if you will have to wait until Southern Cross decides to transmit the OneHD program stream.

AlanH

Thanks for reply.

Have further question re aerial. From reading the aerial info. If we are picking up reception from Noosa/Tewantin - which I am just assuming - as those channels/frequencies work. Can an indoor aerial be used & improve reception with old outdoor aerial? The TV signal has deteriorated over time (esp. with storms damaging tall ex. aerial) & in rental property (house) - so indoor (ie not fixed) would be most useful. Digital breaks up & drops out and analogue is bit snowy. (When digital works picture is usually OK)

See for T/Noosa should use a UHF phased aerial over Band 5 for external - are there suitable indoor aerials or boosters? Is indoor Log Periodic Antenna most suitable - & available?

Edited by jaaa, 07 April 2009 - 11:40 AM.

#75 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

jaaa,
Indoor Antennas
Remember that the signals are vertically polarised, so the antenna must be on its side away from the receiver and metalwork.

AlanH