23 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hey Guys.

My on demand keeps saying i need to get it upgraded by calling foxtel or doing it online. I am with Telstra for foxtel and have / did have it already activated. I also logged into my foxtel account (I cant make certain changes as i am with telstra) but i was able to see that on demand was activated on my box on my foxtel account. So i am not sure why i am unable to see the ondemand catchup page. I can see the movies that i have to buy, but not the catch up. Tell me i believe that the catch up is free or something is it now? Is that what they are saying that there is more free on demand movies and shows?

I cant get through to telstra foxtel as they are being inundated with calls and are experiencing long wait times apparently. Have tried a few times over the last few hours. When i go to catch up, it asks me to upgrade but i can access the other on demand sections or some of them. Plus my network is working and i know it did work previously a long time ago but i had disconnected the internet from the box for a while as i never used ondemand as it always cost money. Was keen on checking it out again as foxtel was saying there are some free movies/ shows that you can use to catch up if you had missed them when they were initially on.

I am not with Telstra Bigpond, i take it this should not matter, i am with TPG unlimited internet anyway.

#2 plumgas

plumgas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have a new connection with foxtel & mine is saying the same & like you I log in on line & its says my smart card is already setup for on demand. I thought it was a waste of time ringing up as the lines are flat out with people complaining.

Edited by plumgas, 02 January 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#3 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I called up telstra who said it was activated and transferred me to foxtel help tier 1, who said everything seems right so transferred me to tier 2 and they fixed it in seconds. Something had to be done on their end. So its fixed now. Shame no HD movies / shows for free only the SD versions. I try to only watch HD these days...

#4 big o

big o

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

When Foxtel set me up they did not connect me to the internet, so that i could not receive on demand and catch up. Today a set of Netcomm NP204A powerline adaptors arrived.
I havent connected them yet as I also have Netcomm NB5 from TPG, and Netgear Wireless router WNDR3700 connected together and working well.
My concern is when I connected the powerline adaptors to the Netgear router, is it likely to cause any problems/interference, and should i leave the powerline adaptors connected full time with the Netgear and netcomm NB5?
Thanks,
O

#5 pheggie

pheggie

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

You can have multiple NB5's connected The foxtel ones are paired you could try them and if they cause problems unplug the foxtel ones. A friend tried reconfiguring the pairing on his now none of them work at all now.

Edited by pheggie, 11 January 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#6 Darth

Darth

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Use the online chat service via facebook. It works really well

#7 big o

big o

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

When Foxtel set me up they did not connect me to the internet, so that i could not receive on demand and catch up. Today a set of Netcomm NP204A powerline adaptors arrived.
I havent connected them yet as I also have Netcomm NB5 from TPG, and Netgear Wireless router WNDR3700 connected together and working well.
My concern is when I connected the powerline adaptors to the Netgear router, is it likely to cause any problems/interference, and should i leave the powerline adaptors connected full time with the Netgear and netcomm NB5?
Thanks,
O

Today I tried to set up the powerline adaptors. Unfortunately, the adaptors shape means that I cannot use both outlets in the dual power point.I contacted Foxtel who refered me to Telstra.
I explained when we were first connected in February 2010, when I requested an internet connection to the STB, but was advised it was not needed, which was wrong and shortsighted.
Foxtel advise me that the internet connection was not required/needed/available until February 2011, and they will not assist other than the powerline adaptors. Can someone confirm that date, and if correct, how to proceed from here to utilise the free service of On Demand?
Thanks,
O

#8 plumgas

plumgas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have been using internet for foxtel for a while now so 2yrs sounds about right, I purchased a sling box POE from ice tv which was a 4 port which has a standard size plug. works well with foxtel or anything else that you need a network connection. Its no good for streaming hd but for downloading & streaming sd works fine.
I have no need for it any more as I have another & getting nbn installed shortly & have wired up 10 data points. please send me a PM I might be able to help you out.

#9 big o

big o

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thank you very much for the kind offer plumgas. I will keep it in mind.

I am not finished with Telstra/Foxtel yet as I consider the internet should have been connected at setup back in February 2010, when we were advised it was not needed. We were new to pay tv, and didnt know what they should have known.
Again thanks.

#10 gravey

gravey

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Today I tried to set up the powerline adaptors. Unfortunately, the adaptors shape means that I cannot use both outlets in the dual power point.

If the adaptor doesn't fit into a multi socket, probably because it is too bulky, simply put a short extention lead between the socket and the adaptor.

#11 big o

big o

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

If the adaptor doesn't fit into a multi socket, probably because it is too bulky, simply put a short extention lead between the socket and the adaptor.

Thanks gravey, I have one that I can use, appreciate the advice.

#12 Vee87

Vee87

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hi all
I am also having trouble with my Foxtel on demand through Telstra. Recently seen the Foxtel on Demand advertised in which it stated all we need is a IQ step box and internet connection. I rang Foxtel who advised we had to go through Telstra to make the purchase of the Power line Adapter (the option where you just plug it into the wall and call Foxtel to subscribe to on demand rather then connecting your bigpond router as its in a separate room). Yesterday I received in the mail a Net Gear Home Theatre Internet connection Kit and when I rang Telstra to connect it up they advised me that my set top box is not compatible to have Foxtel on Demand (which confuses me a bit seeing as its a Foxtel IQ set top box and Foxtel advertises we need one of these). Telstra have given me a refund for the stuff around and advises we dont need to send the home theatre gear back to them.

I looked at the back of both of my IQ set top boxes and they dont appear to have an ethernet connection... so I'm just wondering is there such thing as outdated IQ set top boxes? meaning that I cant actually connect to Foxtel on Demand even with just the Power line Adapter? or have Telstra sent me the wrong connections to actually make it work.

I would love some advice before I get stuffed around by Foxtel and Telstra again as they dont seem to know what they are talking about. before Telstra told me our set top box wasn't compatible (he checked the smart card number) he told me I had to connect it all up by the ethernet cables... but the information on the Foxtel help channel said I just need to plug the power line adapter into the wall...no installations. The power line on the TV also looked horizontal ..the one I received in the box is vertical but its the same brand :)

thanks heaps everyone!

#13 Vee87

Vee87

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hi all
I am also having trouble with my Foxtel on demand through Telstra. Recently seen the Foxtel on Demand advertised in which it stated all we need is a IQ step box and internet connection. I rang Foxtel who advised we had to go through Telstra to make the purchase of the Power line Adapter (the option where you just plug it into the wall and call Foxtel to subscribe to on demand rather then connecting your bigpond router as its in a separate room). Yesterday I received in the mail a Net Gear Home Theatre Internet connection Kit and when I rang Telstra to connect it up they advised me that my set top box is not compatible to have Foxtel on Demand (which confuses me a bit seeing as its a Foxtel IQ set top box and Foxtel advertises we need one of these). Telstra have given me a refund for the stuff around and advises we dont need to send the home theatre gear back to them.

I looked at the back of both of my IQ set top boxes and they dont appear to have an ethernet connection... so I'm just wondering is there such thing as outdated IQ set top boxes? meaning that I cant actually connect to Foxtel on Demand even with just the Power line Adapter? or have Telstra sent me the wrong connections to actually make it work.

I would love some advice before I get stuffed around by Foxtel and Telstra again as they dont seem to know what they are talking about. before Telstra told me our set top box wasn't compatible (he checked the smart card number) he told me I had to connect it all up by the ethernet cables... but the information on the Foxtel help channel said I just need to plug the power line adapter into the wall...no installations. The power line on the TV also looked horizontal ..the one I received in the box is vertical but its the same brand :)

thanks heaps everyone!

Sorry I meant "rather then connecting to your bigpond modem" not bigpond router :)

#14 cnrmlj

cnrmlj

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Problem: If your boxes don't have Ethernet you can't get on demand - simple.

Solution: upgrade your box to one with Ethernet - simple.

#15 Ron12

Ron12

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I explained when we were first connected in February 2010, when I requested an internet connection to the STB, but was advised it was not needed, which was wrong and shortsighted.

In those days, you only needed a connection to a phone line.

Foxtel advise me that the internet connection was not required/needed/available until February 2011, and they will not assist other than the powerline adaptors.

Foxtel on demand via internet didn't start until the beginning of 2011. It's now 2013!

My iQ set top box was from around 2007 and it too didn't have an Ethernet socket. Nevertheless, the box displayed the menus on it and messages to contact Foxtel to have it activated. There are indeed more recent versions of the iQ box. These include an HDMI output and presumably an Ethernet socket. The current iQHD box has both of these.

thanks heaps everyone!

The first thing you need is an iQ box with an Ethernet socket, or an iQHD box with one. Not sure if you can get your iQ box replaced with another one for free, but you could ask. The other option is to replace your iQ box with an iQHD box, but that'll cost you $150 once off. You do not need to subscribe to the HD channels to get or keep the iQHD box.

Then you need to connect the box to your router, you can do this over your power line using the powerline adaptors that you now have. One plugs into a spare ethernet socket on your router, one plugs into the ethernet socket at the back of an iQ or iQHD (that has an ethernet socket) and each plugs into a nearby power outlet. NOTE: Your router must have a spare Ethernet socket with a label like LAN for this to work.

It's best if both powerline adaptors are plugged into plugs that are on the same circuit breaker or fuse. If they're on different circuit breakers or fuses they may not talk to each other, not 100% sure about this. I guess you could plug one powerline adaptor into one plug, plug the other one into the other plug and see if they talk to each other.

Another way to connect an iQ box to your router is if you have wifi, you can buy a universal wifi adaptor which lets a device that only has an Ethernet plug connect to a network via wifi. Foxtel don't talk about this option, but it works, provided you have a decent bandwidth between the router and the adaptor. If you are likely to connect other nearby devices to the internet in this way (e.g. a TV or Blu-ray player) then you should consider a 4 port wifi adaptor, otherwise a 1 port wifi dadptor will do the job.

#16 Vee87

Vee87

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

In those days, you only needed a connection to a phone line.

Foxtel on demand via internet didn't start until the beginning of 2011. It's now 2013!

My iQ set top box was from around 2007 and it too didn't have an Ethernet socket. Nevertheless, the box displayed the menus on it and messages to contact Foxtel to have it activated. There are indeed more recent versions of the iQ box. These include an HDMI output and presumably an Ethernet socket. The current iQHD box has both of these.

The first thing you need is an iQ box with an Ethernet socket, or an iQHD box with one. Not sure if you can get your iQ box replaced with another one for free, but you could ask. The other option is to replace your iQ box with an iQHD box, but that'll cost you $150 once off. You do not need to subscribe to the HD channels to get or keep the iQHD box.

Then you need to connect the box to your router, you can do this over your power line using the powerline adaptors that you now have. One plugs into a spare ethernet socket on your router, one plugs into the ethernet socket at the back of an iQ or iQHD (that has an ethernet socket) and each plugs into a nearby power outlet. NOTE: Your router must have a spare Ethernet socket with a label like LAN for this to work.

It's best if both powerline adaptors are plugged into plugs that are on the same circuit breaker or fuse. If they're on different circuit breakers or fuses they may not talk to each other, not 100% sure about this. I guess you could plug one powerline adaptor into one plug, plug the other one into the other plug and see if they talk to each other.

Another way to connect an iQ box to your router is if you have wifi, you can buy a universal wifi adaptor which lets a device that only has an Ethernet plug connect to a network via wifi. Foxtel don't talk about this option, but it works, provided you have a decent bandwidth between the router and the adaptor. If you are likely to connect other nearby devices to the internet in this way (e.g. a TV or Blu-ray player) then you should consider a 4 port wifi adaptor, otherwise a 1 port wifi dadptor will do the job.

Thanks for your help Ron! The friendly advice I wanted to see. I spoke to foxtel and Telstra before reading this... And after a 40 min phone call and being passed through 7 different people.. Telstra said I had no choice but to upgrade as they no longer have the standard IQ setboxes with Internet compatibility (even though foxtel told me Bigpond should be able to just swap them over)I've chosen not to go with it as it will cost $300 as we have multi room and they have told me I will need to upgrade for both devices not just one. I can't be assed talking to Telstra again and be mucked around as they don't know what they are doing when I call through. Haha

#17 sarastarry

sarastarry

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hi I hope someone can help me with a connected problem. I recently phoned Foxtel to ask about connecting to on demand and they gave me the impression that it was very easy even though my modem/router is in a different room from my foxtel. They sent me a set of Netcomm Wireless NP205 powerline adaptors and I followed the instructions. The first thing that happened was that it blew out all my router settings and I had an unsecured network until I put them in again. Next it allowed me to download one programme and then stopped working and nothing I could do would get it going again. I spent quite some time with support over the phone and then last week they sent out a technician who fiddled around and couldn't get it working either - he said the problem is with my power lines - so why do they make it sound so easy if it isn't and what do I do now? My power sockets all work OK so why wouldn't they work for this? - anyone got any ideas?

#18 Ron12

Ron12

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Powerline adapters work best when they are both on the same circuit, i.e. they have the same circuit breaker. Some say they should work on different circuit breakers, but some people say they don't.

They also work best when they are plugged directly into the power outlet rather than a power board.

EDIT: info about circuit breakers.

Edited by Ron12, 10 June 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#19 cnrmlj

cnrmlj

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

I use one of these .....

http://www.netgear.c...s/WN2500RP.aspx

Works a treat.

Probably a bit slower than a wired solution but not noticeable to me.

There are a number of brands making these sort of things.

#20 sarastarry

sarastarry

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Ron12. I now have to try and find out which sockets are on the same circuit. Guess I have to flick the trip switch and see which ones do which areas - but it seems to defeat the purpose if I can only connect through sockets that are near each other - then I could just use a network cable to connect foxtel and router direct and forget about the powerline adaptors! I feel Foxtel is really being quite deceitful here as they convinced me I could connect on different floor levels - but now seems unlikely if I can't even connect on same level.

#21 plumgas

plumgas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

it doesn't have to be on the same circuit at all , it only has to be the same phase which most houses are. But they must be plugged directly into the power point without a power board

Edited by plumgas, 17 June 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#22 nutmeg1

nutmeg1

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

Do you mean an extension lead or a power board as there is a diffenence, an extention lead is just that a vpower board has multpul outlets and often offers

phone filtering on the phone lnes.A simlar extention cord willl not do this as it is due to its nature just an extention of the power supply

Edited by nutmeg1, 17 June 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#23 plumgas

plumgas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

sorry extension lead is okay but not a power board. prior to being hooked up to the NBN I used 2 different 4 port POE one was good for streaming SD over the home network & the other faster one was good for HD.
they were not used on the same circuit & worked great.

#24 ambervw

ambervw

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thank you for all the helpful information.

I have a foxtel box next to my cable modem/router. Is it possible to connect the foxtel box straight to the router and remove the NetComm wireless adaptor? It is a huge plug in the wall and I would like to put a power board there instead of the adaptor. I have tried calling Foxtel support a few times but they really haven't been helpful.