• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 agelessgoodguy

agelessgoodguy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

speaking for myself and not Pete, and having gone through exactly your questions I can say that the video enhancing is superior to the old 83 with 4k upgrading on the fly, media playing is very good and if you have it connected via a network to the internet Gracenotes will automatically grab and display album cover etc for you. Go and try one at your nearest store, through the past GB's we've sold many of them to members.

#27 mgrobins

mgrobins

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the reply :). I have not found a whole lot of detailed info in this regard.

Playing to 1080p are you suggesting it is a step up for BR Discs? I don't have offboard video processing now (AV8801 doesn't offer much).

I have a library of my old DVD's and many BR that I store as MKV to play off a NAS. My popcornhour A400 does a good job of providing a neat cover driven interface but the video processing is not grand.

Does Gracenote always generate on the fly over the net or will it store locally a database it generates? I've been searching for a youtube clip to see how it works and my local store doesn't have a lot of experience with the Oppo players.

I'd be really keen to see how this could work as it would be a nice improvement for my DVD collection, and perhaps squeeze a bit more from my BR as well.

I guess there could be other general improvements such as clock quality and PSU noise rejection etc if the new models are incrementally better than the '83

#28 agelessgoodguy

agelessgoodguy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Yes its definitely better for Blu rays and DVD's

#29 batsman

batsman

AV Forum Member

• 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Anyone have one for sale, I dont seem to be able to create a Want to Buy thread.

#30 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

I had the privilege of using the Japan Limited Edition for a while... superb :

http://peteswrite.bl...ted-review.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu Ray, SACD, audiophile