Get The Best Reception Central Coast

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:35 AM

Edited by alanh, 25 March 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#2 davidl

davidl

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:16 AM

If the "reflectors" on the antenna are horizontal and the "elements" on the main bar are vertical is this classed as horizontal or vertical?

Also, if (a different) square-shaped antenna has 4 banks of 4 bars fronted by 4 X shapes with a single bar in front of them, should it be H or V?

Thanks

Davidl

#3 bellotv

bellotv

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

david without seeing antenna I cant say for sure but I wonder if its been assembled correctly.The reflector elements must be parallel to elements on boom not at right angles or they (the reflectors) would be ineffective

What determines H or V is respect to ground.

Parallel to ground --- Horizontal

Perpindicular to ground---Vertical

I wonder if second antenna your describing is a phased array ?
Same rule apply however to determine polarization.

Regards bellotv

Note there are some antennas for special locations where some channels are on H and some on V
These antenna have two separate antennas one H one V on the same boom

Do you have photo?

#4 TerryA

TerryA

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:08 AM

Hi again,
This seems to be an area of confusion for DIY people. The term horizontal is used when the 'elements' of an antenna are horizontal - ignore however the backplane is facing.
Likewise, if the elements of the antenna are vertical, the polarity is considered vertical.
Hoope this helps.

#5 Foz

Foz

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:08 PM

I live in Umina (Central Coast) and my analogue signal has deteriorated over the last 6 months.
The picture quality with my analogue stations is way below acceptable.
I do have a booster too.
The antenna I have is close to the Super Hunter Model FB603780.
My digital signal seems ok (Set top box hovers between 67 and 72% for Sydney stations much higher for NBN).
I am using the Gosford site where you advise a 5 band antenna.
Is this antenna correct or should I have a different one?

#6 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

Foz,
Look at the coverage area map for the Central Coast translators. The Super Hunter should be ok, but the power from the Gosford translators is not very powerful. The longest side of the gird at the back should be vertical. The transmitters are on the Gosford Trig Station.

How old is the installation"

AlanH

#7 Foz

Foz

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:05 PM

Foz,
Look at the coverage area map for the Central Coast translators. The Super Hunter should be ok, but the power from the Gosford translators is not very powerful. The longest side of the gird at the back should be vertical. The transmitters are on the Gosford Trig Station.

How old is the installation"

AlanH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply Alan.
I dont think the antenna would be more than 4-5 yrs old.
I had a booster put in about 3yrs ago and some work was done on it again 18 months ago (a new booster put in I think).
I'm pretty sure the antenna guy said it would be right for digital in the future.
Little box was open and rain got into it.
A bird was blamed for opening the box but I have doubts. I dont know they ever closed the box from the first visit.
Its closed at the moment.
The back is vertical. Looks like it has 4 sections of 4 rods.
My Foxtel Satellite Dish is about 2 metres away.
Next Door's Fox Dish is almost opposite my antenna about 2 metres away (maybe a foot to the right). Their FTA antenna is on the other side of the house.
I dont know that there Fox is still connected.
I do have a splitter to 2 other TV's.
6 months ago the pictures were all very good.
Now they are well below average.
I have a big TV where I'd like to split the screen in two and watch the races while my kids watch cartoons. Cartoons dont seem as bad but still below average even on the split screen.
Its close to being a snowy picture with coloured specks.(does that make sense?)
The Foxtel picture is so much superior to the analogue one its not funny.
Analogue is not watchable on a big TV (142cm rear projection) in full screen mode.
My wife puts up with it to watch shows on the smaller Tv's 51cm and 34cm.
When I put Fox on the full screen though it doesnt get near the High Definition Picture. (normal I suppose).

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:25 AM

Foz,
You may be better off trying the Bouddi translator which is much more powerful. You will have to make the long side of the grid reflector horizontal and rotate it to a bearing of 86 degrees (face the east (The reflector will be north south))

By the way if the masthead amplifier is a Kingray (hinged grey plastic box) there is a screw which is used to prevent the situation you are in.

AlanH

#9 Foz

Foz

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:02 AM

Foz,
You may be better off trying the Bouddi translator which is much more powerful. You will have to make the long side of the grid reflector horizontal and rotate it to a bearing of 86 degrees (face the east (The reflector will be north south))

By the way if the masthead amplifier is a Kingray (hinged grey plastic box) there is a screw which is used to prevent the situation you are in.

AlanH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Alan.

#10 culwulla

culwulla

AV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

hey guys, im also from Umina Beach! way up on the Rampart. probably 300ft up. reception isnt too bad. cheers

#11 Red Adder

Red Adder

AV Forums Member

• 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:09 AM

Hi, this is my first "post", so I hope it works.
I live at Gosford. Has anyone noticed the sound level increased on ABC and SBS? Last week or so I have to drop the Volume down by around 10% to 15% on ABC and SBS. Prior to this, all channels were about the same level!!

#12 TerryA

TerryA

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi, this is my first "post", so I hope it works.
I live at Gosford. Has anyone noticed the sound level increased on ABC and SBS? Last week or so I have to drop the Volume down by around 10% to 15% on ABC and SBS. Prior to this, all channels were about the same level!!

Hi again,
Yes, this seems to have occured over a wide area surrounding the Gosford & Bouddi transmitters, but strangely, we have not seen it around the Forresters Beach transmitter. Why is anyone's guess, but likely, TXA & Broadcast Australia are yet again performing some kind of maintenance.

#13 uabv2

uabv2

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi again,
Yes, this seems to have occured over a wide area surrounding the Gosford & Bouddi transmitters, but strangely, we have not seen it around the Forresters Beach transmitter. Why is anyone's guess, but likely, TXA & Broadcast Australia are yet again performing some kind of maintenance.

Hi

My masthead amplifier has died. Where on the coast can I get the biggest range to choose from?

Thanks
Peter

#14 HALTECH

HALTECH

AV Forums Member

• 42 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

DJ Coulter nth wyong 4353 3652

#15 JohnL

JohnL

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

I am unable to start a new topic, not sure why so hoping someone will read this and assist.

Got a SD STB for Xmas and hooked it up. The scan picked up 40 channels. With the HD channels, some I can view others I can't. Is this likely to be a signal strength problem OR is it because I only have a SD STB?

Also, what is the go with Prime 1, 2 and 3? Should there be any difference in the picture viewed or is this something set up for special events like the Olympics?

What are the new channels coming on line if any?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

John

#16 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:29 AM

John,
I suggest you do a search on this forum for Logical Channel Numbers.

If it is a SD set top box it will generally tell you if you select HD channels ie ones which say on the display #0 eg 70

Use the link in my "Get the best reception" post above to the Antenna Basics

AlanH

#17 bigkingfish

bigkingfish

AV Forums Member

• 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

Hi Alan,

Do you have a full freqency list for all channels handy? I am filling out the ACA out of area reception form and need to list all the channels per freqency.

Cheers.

#18 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hi bigkingfish. If u can't work out your regions terrestrial reception options, there's no way you can complete an Out of Area ABA 58.

Post #1 of this thread contains Alans link to his excellent NSW channel plan and antenna selection table. I assume your on the Central Coast? ....... which has multiple options.

#19 bigkingfish

bigkingfish

AV Forums Member

• 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hi bigkingfish. If u can't work out your regions terrestrial reception options, there's no way you can complete an Out of Area ABA 58.

Post #1 of this thread contains Alans link to his excellent NSW channel plan and antenna selection table. I assume your on the Central Coast? ....... which has multiple options.

Hi WF,

YEs - Have got this list of channel numbers you linked covered, I need the actual frequencies they are each transimtting on...i.e the full frequency table that relates to each channel numner...

Hi WF,

YEs - Have got this list of channel numbers you linked covered, I need the actual frequencies they are each transimtting on...i.e the full frequency table that relates to each channel numner...

#20 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

bigkingfish,
"The antenna installer/technician must sign the statutory declaration to say that the details on the form are true and correct." The technician should be able to measure these frequencies or know them off by heart if they have the correct equipment.

I suggest you get one who can measure the Bit Error Rate to ensure that he has measuring equipment for digital signals.

I know that some of the terrain in this area can block signals, but you have to prove it. Also you will only get ABC, SBS, Impaja and 7 Central. That is a lot better than nothing.

For you info
Bouddi Analog
NEN32 555.25, NBN41 618.25, ATN44 639.224, TCN47 660.224, SBS64 779.198, ABN67 800.198 MHz

Gosford Analog
NBN40 611.224, NEN43 632.224, ABN46 653.224, ATN49 674.224, TCN52 695.224, TEN55 716.224, SBS 58 737.198 MHz

Wyong Analog
NEN30 541.198, NRN33 562.198, SBS39 604.19795, ABN42 625.19795, ATN60 751.224, TCN63 772.224, TEN66 793.224, NBN69 814.145836 MHz

All Central Coast Sites
SBS34 571.5, ABHN37 592.5, NEN59 746.5, ATN61 760.5, TCN62 767.5, TEN65 788.625, NBN 68 809.5 MHz

Remember also that there is powerful transmitters in Newcastle as well.

AlanH

#21 bigkingfish

bigkingfish

AV Forums Member

• 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:49 AM

bigkingfish,
"The antenna installer/technician must sign the statutory declaration to say that the details on the form are true and correct." The technician should be able to measure these frequencies or know them off by heart if they have the correct equipment.

I suggest you get one who can measure the Bit Error Rate to ensure that he has measuring equipment for digital signals.

I know that some of the terrain in this area can block signals, but you have to prove it. Also you will only get ABC, SBS, Impaja and 7 Central. That is a lot better than nothing.

For you info
Bouddi Analog
NEN32 555.25, NBN41 618.25, ATN44 639.224, TCN47 660.224, SBS64 779.198, ABN67 800.198 MHz

Gosford Analog
NBN40 611.224, NEN43 632.224, ABN46 653.224, ATN49 674.224, TCN52 695.224, TEN55 716.224, SBS 58 737.198 MHz

Wyong Analog
NEN30 541.198, NRN33 562.198, SBS39 604.19795, ABN42 625.19795, ATN60 751.224, TCN63 772.224, TEN66 793.224, NBN69 814.145836 MHz

All Central Coast Sites
SBS34 571.5, ABHN37 592.5, NEN59 746.5, ATN61 760.5, TCN62 767.5, TEN65 788.625, NBN 68 809.5 MHz

Remember also that there is powerful transmitters in Newcastle as well.

AlanH

Ta Alan,

I hate to admit this, I am the installer. I have a Rover TDA6.. I just never manage to get a full list pf confirmed frequencies for these sites... to for this info.

#22 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:49 AM

Since they're all digitised, you'll have to do these as well, but it's only a feild strength measurement. Hmmm!

For analogue, the std vision carrier freqs or even the channel limits are near enough.

#23 bigkingfish

bigkingfish

AV Forums Member

• 40 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:27 PM

Since they're all digitised, you'll have to do these as well, but it's only a feild strength measurement. Hmmm!

For analogue, the std vision carrier freqs or even the channel limits are near enough.

WF,

Ta for that. I'll just off the Rover....

BK

#24 lesm

lesm

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

Hi,

Nearly finished building a new home in Saratoga 2251. Should move in by end of Feb 2007. Have 7 TV outlets, rgb6 quad with lead ends in the ceiling - have 240 v power outlet in ceiling as well. From roof have a good view of the bay & believe I can see the TV transmitter at Gosford, possibly Boudi as well. Can you suggest who I should contact for suitable TV & FM/AM antennas installations? - someone who knows exactly what he is doing.

#25 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

Lesm,
Ring around and if they can give you in writing the Bit Error Rate for each station which is lower than 1 in 10,000 then hire them.

The meter required to make these measurements is not cheap so only the dedicated installer will have one.

AlanH