• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CliffofOz

CliffofOz

DTV Forums Member

• 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

Just had a bit of a clean out and now I'm confronted with a stack of 50 old VHS video tapes that I no longer need. Mainly old TV shows that were collected before DVD and probably wouldn't play anyway as they've degraded over time...my old Hey Hey's are barely watchable.

Seems a bit of waste to turf them in the bin, but I'm not sure what else to...there doesn't seem to be any recycling option.

What a blessing the Topfield is. Now I can archive stuff to DVD (via the PC). Of course, I'll probably never watch it, but it at least it takes up less space and it shouldn't degrade...touch wood.

Cliff

#2 datvman

datvman

DTV Forums Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

im in the same boat as cliff of oz. i have a pile of old VHS's that i don't need. Is there some sort of recycling plant around the place??

#3 CliffofOz

CliffofOz

DTV Forums Member

• 562 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

Phoned Ecorecycle in Victoria today to see if they were aware of recycling facilities for video tape. The main ones seem to deal with shredding tapes for security purposes (e.g. survelliance tapes). An outfit in Sydney will collect them, but only if you 300kg or more! Seems as though they can be turned in to plastic pellets to make other products.

So, the short answer is that there is no means for your domestic Joe to recycle video tapes.

If you're a bit of a greenie then you can always phone Ecorecycle 1800-353-233 (Victoria only). Sounded as though they might look at doing something if they get enough requests - wouldn't be too hard to do as part of their household chemical collection days.

Hopefully they have the foresight to see that the problem will only grow as people transition to HDD recorders and DVD. Those old VHS tapes will simply have to go to make room for the ever growing DVD collection :blink:

Cliff