• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#176 Bodon

Bodon

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

GDay all.

Not sure if this is the correct area to post but as I live in Bomaderry NSW thought it might be alright.

I live in an area thats low with trees.  TV reception was never the best and have been on Austar / Foxtel for 12 years (box and card is old) and I have had enough of the bloody adds.  My aerial is old and I would gurantee it is not digtal.  My two Sony TVs picks up SBS..clear as.  Thats about it.  I want to ditch Foxtel and use the free to air.  I would like to have a go putting up an aerial but wouldnt have a clue on how to connect it what model etc and I dare say it would have to point in the correct direction.  How do I konw if digital even works ok etc. Cant get in the roof as I have had my hips replaced so Im after a reliable installer from the area.  Can someone advise me here.  Ta.  House was rennovated six years back and the electrician replaced the TV cable. 

Have a had a gander on the net and also came across VAST.  Would this be a better option?  Aint got much of a clue. Just want TV thats clear.  Thanks for your time.

#177 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Bodon,

Firstly goto http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/and type in your exact address to determine the signal strength. (Read notice and also click on transmitters available on the top right corner) If you have adequate signals you cannot get commercial stations from VAST.

You have 3 transmitter options

North Nowra Cambewarra Lookout Cambewarra Mountain via BOMADERRY Changing channels 28 July and this signal could well become stronger This needs a phased array antenna with its longest side horizontal.

Illawarra main transmitters at Robertson. Note that the ABC and SBS will be changing transmission channels on 11 June. This needs a phased array antenna with its longest side vertical.

Alanh

#178 Bodon

Bodon

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

GDay Alanh

Thanks for the quick response.  Had a gander and get a message after typing in my address: Reported reception issues in Nowra and Shoalhaven region.  Comes up with good coverage and my address shows Im located in a light green shaded area.  And as you mentioned 3 transmitters are available.

Not sure if you can help here..but If I get an installer 'they' will / may install a phased array antenna or do I tell them?  In your view is there a preferred make of aerial.

Appreciate your time.

#179 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,621 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

Bodon,

Firstly, wait until after the retune on 28th July.

I suggest http://www.hillsante...08542_FLYER.pdf mounted as shown on the left and aimed at the Cambewarra Lookout.

Alternatively http://www.hillsante...B31123 IssB.pdf mounted for vertical polarisation, whilst it is cheaper is not as good. Its performance is similar to the WisI Phased array being sold by a number of importers.

The installer should measure the signal level received to determine if a UHF masthead amplifier is required. If so then the amplifier should contain an LTE filter http://www.kingray.n...edge_series.pdf (The MHU series)

You probably need also to replace the cable and the new cable should be Quad shield RG6 cable (the standard for DTV)

Some electricians know nothing of TV antenna installation.

There is no requirement for any training of antenna installers so I would specify one of the antennas above.

Alanh

#180 Bodon

Bodon

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

GDay Alanh

Mate, appreciate the heads up.  Information was very helpful and will be taking the advice.  Thankyou.

#181 Martyr82

Martyr82

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

I have direct line of sight to Knights Hill transmission towers. This lists the following channels;

153432/New WIN tower KNIGHTS HILL
Service Network Owner Freq(MHz) Channel Polarisation Pat Licence No
CBN Prime 599.5 38 H DA 1158111
WIN WIN 585.5 36 H DA 1158069
CTC Southern Cross Austereo 592.5 37 H DA 1190913

153434/Broadcast Australia Digital Television Tower KNIGHTS HILL
Service Network Owner Freq(MHz) Channel Polarisation Pat Licence No
ABC ABC 578.5 35 H DA 1160423
SBS SBS 606.5 39 H DA 1160442

With a channel range of 35-39, I would need a dual band UHF Aerial? because the range includes channels from band 4 to band 5?

Edited by Martyr82, 07 August 2014 - 02:42 PM.