• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#126 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

vv4yn0,
Since the SBS signals are identical except for advertising there is no point in getting SBS from Sydney. So replace the splitter with a diplexer with the V input for the Sydney signal and U input for the Illawarra signal. Now the cable length issues will be irrelevant.

What does the Sydney signals give you that Illawarra does not?

Your Sydney signals will still be weather related. Watch what happens as fronts, high and low pressure systems go across the signal path.
Increased reliability requires a band 3 phased array and a masthead amplifier designed for band 3 only. This is a significant investment.

AlanH

#127 jaimey123

jaimey123

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Im using a standard definition set top box but i can only find the ABC channels. Using the other aerial cable on the other end of the house, using the same set top box, i can pick up all the channels. Does anyone know why its not picking up Prime, SBS, Ten etc.???

#128 mtv

mtv

AV Forums Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Im using a standard definition set top box but i can only find the ABC channels. Using the other aerial cable on the other end of the house, using the same set top box, i can pick up all the channels. Does anyone know why its not picking up Prime, SBS, Ten etc.???

If both outlets are connected to the same antenna, then it's a signal issue, probably related to a poor connection, poor cabling to one outlet, short/open circuit on one outlet, faulty connection on splitter or the splitter itself. Possibly even overloading signal on one outlet, if an amp is being used.

Have you used the same flylead when you've tested the STB on both outlets?..... if not, one could be faulty.

Without accurate signal measurements, it's difficult to determine where the problem is.

#129 vv4yn0

vv4yn0

AV Forums Member

• 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hi Wayne, I'm glad to see you've had success. Well done. We ran out of time before, that's for sure.

What I'm a bit surprised about is the fact that the link you've provided shows a Fracarro UHF (high frequency) antenna, the sort that would be used to get the local transmissions, or
(technically) SBS from Sydney. That antenna is not designed for the Sydney VHF channels, which are on lower frequencies.
That is the one you've installed?

Using a splitter in reverse does combine signals, but as it combines all frequencies from each antenna (without combining just VHF with say UHF), this can lead to unwanted signal combining/cancellation errors.

EDIT: I recall now that at one point you were wanting the C31 community TV channel (analogue) from Sydney. Is this what you mean when you say you have it now? Because that Fracarro would be able to give you some reception at that frequency.

Hi Charles,
Yes, the antenna UHF and it is the D44 stuff that I'm recieving from the Sydney transmitter (ch35)
I think it was the height that made the difference, and the lack of time on the day we tried.
I dont know what the BER is or signal strength (except the dodgy meter on the tele but it works. we haven't had any interruptions yet that i have noticed.

vv4yn0,
Since the SBS signals are identical except for advertising there is no point in getting SBS from Sydney. So replace the splitter with a diplexer with the V input for the Sydney signal and U input for the Illawarra signal. Now the cable length issues will be irrelevant.

What does the Sydney signals give you that Illawarra does not?

Your Sydney signals will still be weather related. Watch what happens as fronts, high and low pressure systems go across the signal path.
Increased reliability requires a band 3 phased array and a masthead amplifier designed for band 3 only. This is a significant investment.

AlanH

Hi Alan,
As I mentioned above, it's the D44 stuff (CH35) that I am getting as well as TVS (analogue, which is borderline watchable).
Both of the antennas are UHF, so would the diplexer idea be suitable?.
The weather does not seem to effect the signal too much - not enough to lose the signal at any rate. I haven't noticed any issues excepting I have noticed that the ABC signal is suffering - most likely from the mismatched cable length but it is only apparant only on one of the set top boxes. I can only guess that it's tuner is either less sensitive or it cant reject the "mistimed double signal?" as well as the others (I know there must be a term for it but I am only a layman when it comes to the science of TV transmission:)
If I caome across a cheap VHF antenna with a suitably high gain, I might give that a shot too.
Hopefully the loss through a diplexer wont spell the end of the ABC for me! - maybe then I will have to look at the phasing of the two UHF antennas more closely.

Thanks again to you both, I have learnt a lot from you guys and the rest of the forum's contributers.

Edited by vv4yn0, 06 September 2009 - 06:14 AM.

#130 carnivore

carnivore

AV Forums Member

• 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Tonight I have lost my WINTV signal on only one of the 3 TV tuners in the house. All other signals on that same TV are operating fine.

I have a Samsung LA26R7 which has lost channel 8 and 80, and cannot tune 88 (new GO!). Whilst another Samsung (UA46B7100) and an Aldi tuner (operating on a media centre PC) still manage to display all three WINTV channels (8, 80, 88) along with all other stations (One HD / SBS / ABC / Capital).

I live in Woonona (Wollongong northern suburbs) and believe I'm receiving signals from the Brokers Nose site (Corrimal).

Any suggestions??

I take my signal from Brokers nose too and I noticed on my STB that there was 2 WIN channels of both normal and HD quality.
My normal WIN selection was a much lower signal strength than the 2nd one and I resolved it by deleting the unwatchable ones.

It would depend where in Woonona too, the heights will receive a lesser signal than down the beach.

#131 timace

timace

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

It would depend where in Woonona too, the heights will receive a lesser signal than down the beach.

Very true. I'm lucky that my place in Woonona is very close to the beach and has a great direct line to Brokers Nose.

I've been half thinking about a UHF antenna to pick up Knights Hill from Auburn. It's about 90km straight line, SSW.

At this distance, I'm guessing I'd need a high gain UHF antenna, something along these lines - http://www.matchmast.../02MM-SMARTCAST and it'd probably need to be mounted quite high... anyone with some suggestions?

Edited by timace, 11 September 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#132 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forums Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

I've been half thinking about a UHF antenna to pick up Knights Hill from Auburn. It's about 90km straight line, SSW.

It's not easy to recommend an antenna without signal readings to go on.

The Knights Hill signals are often available both in seabord areas, and further inland. Perhaps look around and see what UHF antenna types others in your area have that point down to Knights Hill.

Edited by charlesc, 13 September 2009 - 12:48 PM.

#133 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

Timace,
Do a seach for Auburn. This question has been answered before.
Go to the first post in this strand. Click on the H5 link and get the antenna with the highest gain in dB.

AlanH

#134 spiralmedia

spiralmedia

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new, and hoping I'm posting in the right thread here.

I've just moved to the 'Gong from Perth, into an apartment building. I have brought over my satellite decoder, and am able to pick up channels on the horizontal pole ... but nothing on the vertical (Aurora, BBC Knowledge etc). I'm not 100% sure if the LNB settings are correct, but have looked at those. I am getting a good SNR (about 66 - 90%, same as horizontal ch's), but the AGC is peaking at about 50-70% ... where as the horizontal's are 0. Is this an issue with Austar / the building ... where I will have to get my own dish on the balcony?

Also, I'm starving for any sense of metro tv ... what are the chances of picking up TCN, ATN, TEN etc?? (I'm about 500m east of the Crown St mall with windows facing north)

Appreciate any help you can render!!

#135 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forums Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

...Also, I'm starving for any sense of metro tv ... what are the chances of picking up TCN, ATN, TEN etc?? (I'm about 500m east of the Crown St mall with windows facing north)

Sydney metro signals can be picked up from Wollongong, but sometimes its tricky even with an externally mounted rooftop antenna.

If you're on the northern side of your building, that would most likely help. What sort of obstructions are there between you and a clear view up the coast?
How high up are you in the apartment building? Is there a common antenna system already in there that gives access to the Sydney channels?

#136 spiralmedia

spiralmedia

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Sydney metro signals can be picked up from Wollongong, but sometimes its tricky even with an externally mounted rooftop antenna.

If you're on the northern side of your building, that would most likely help. What sort of obstructions are there between you and a clear view up the coast?
How high up are you in the apartment building? Is there a common antenna system already in there that gives access to the Sydney channels?

Hi charlesc,

I'm on the top floor (3rd). I can see out to Mt Bulli I think it is ... there is a mountain directly north of my window...that is also between the two other buildings on the block.

There is a common antenna system - I just plugged in and got reception.

#137 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forums Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

..There is a common antenna system - I just plugged in and got reception.

Sydney channels? Problem solved? :)

#138 spiralmedia

spiralmedia

AV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

Sydney channels? Problem solved? :)

Sorry, no. I've only got ABC, SBS, Prime, WIN, SC Ten & Go..

#139 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forums Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

Sorry, no. I've only got ABC, SBS, Prime, WIN, SC Ten & Go..

If you want, send me a Personal Message (PM). Make sure your post count is above 5 for this to work (see my sig below).

I'm going to be in Wollongong this long weekend, I might be able to call over on Saturday morning. We can see what options you have.
EDIT: Typo

Edited by charlesc, 29 September 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#140 nipperq

nipperq

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:14 AM

I noticed this...

Nowra North
ABWN(2)66, SBS(3)63, WIN(8)34, CTC(5)40, CBN(6)43, Spare 50, 68
http://www2b.abc.net...c...52&presdir=
Antenna must be have its short elements pointing towards the ground

This is the first time I have seen this sort of instruction - "Antenna must be have its short elements pointing towards the ground"
Any chance of explaining the reason and how is it accomplished.
My reception is not perfect and I'm pointing to the Cambewarra Transmitter and using a yagi 91 element (well, it looks like the Hills 91 or Matchmaster 02MM-DG91) antenna about 8 years old.

#141 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forums Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

"Antenna must be have its short elements pointing towards the ground"
Any chance of explaining the reason and how is it accomplished.
My reception is not perfect and I'm pointing to the Cambewarra Transmitter and using a yagi 91 element (well, it looks like the Hills 91 or Matchmaster 02MM-DG91) antenna about 8 years old.

nipperq, I think you'll find what it's meaning by that is that the elements on your UHF antenna should point down towards the ground.
Note, not the antenna pointing to the ground, just the orientation of the elements. So the main boom/axis still points to the transmitter, but the antenna is rotated 90 deg on it's side, as it were.

The majority of transmissions are in general 'horizontally polarised', where the orientation requirement of the elements has them parallel to the ground.

If a transmitter antenna radiates with the transmission horizontally polarised, a receive antenna must have it's elements horizontal. If the transmission is vertically polarised, the receive antenna must have it's elements vertical.

Frequency Information
Transmitter Region Nowra North, NSW
ABC Service ABC Digital TV
Frequency 795.5 MHz
Channel 66
Sound Mode Stereo
Polarisation Vertical
Broadcast Pattern Directional
Transmitter Location Cambewarra LOOKOUT

#142 DevilTAS

DevilTAS

AV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hi guys,

I live in Coniston, Wollongong, and have recently had difficulty picking up SCTen on my SD Set Top Box.

I have a Tedelex Box and it previously picked up SCTen no worries at all. A few days ago I decided to rescan the channels in order to pick up the new 7Two channel. Now when I flick to SCTen - it won't pick up the signal, the screen just freezes. It seems it may possibly be a signal strength issue as when I go into 'Manual Scan' the signal strength is reporting around 30 - 40%.

Any thoughts as to resolving this problem?

#143 Glennfen

Glennfen

AV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

G'Day All, I'm new to this forum, but have been a competent amateur in setting up anttena's, STB's etc for family and friends. But, my latest install for myself has got me stumped...!!! I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what to try....

I live in Albion Park, in a fringe signal area, line of sight to knight’s hill partially blocked by Mt Terry.
We have just added a new extension at the rear of the house, split level up. The original aerial has been in use for approx 8 years. It is a vertical aspect type, Masthead amp, thru an Astone HD set top box, gets 33 channels ( DTV & radio, some repeats)and also split to a LG DVD recorder. Without the amp the signal is very weak and breaks up consistently. This antenna is at the front of the house, but previously was at the rear and worked ok.

On the extension at the rear of the house, I've installed a new v type Digi-Match aerial, (UHF ch 28-69) , all new RG6 cabling & F connectors, Digi-Match masthead amp, and thru the same Astone STB – receives all SC, WIN & Prime variants ( including all the HD channels) but no ABC or SBS at all.

I have gone back and checked every connector, made sure there are no kinks in the cabling, the antenna is pointed in the same direction as all those around me and is not blocked by any surrounding buildings or objects.

I took the STB back down to the original part of the house, and on the old antenna it received all the channels again. The only difference I can see is the types of antennas, to swap them is a big job that I don't want to do unless I really have to. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to receive the ABC & SBS channels...??

Thanx
Glennfen

#144 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Glennfen,
If you go to the first post in this strand, you will find a transmitter list. If you check this you will find a list of transmitters in the Illawarra region and the channel numbers they are on. In addition there is a recommended antenna type. In the body of the post you will find a link to that antenna type to a list of links to antenna manufacturers. There is in addtion an option for blocked paths.

Your older antenna sounds as if it is a phased array which in your situation is the best type of antenna for this. Your new one is not. Secondly position both horizontally and vertical can be critical.

The reason why you are having problems with the ABC & SBS from Knights Hill is that they are at a much higher frequency than the commercials hence greater losses. You do not have enough signal.

I suggest you also click on the link in the first post to antenna basics for more information.

AlanH

#145 Glennfen

Glennfen

AV Forums Member

• 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Glennfen,
If you go to the first post in this strand, you will find a transmitter list. If you check this you will find a list of transmitters in the Illawarra region and the channel numbers they are on. In addition there is a recommended antenna type. In the body of the post you will find a link to that antenna type to a list of links to antenna manufacturers. There is in addtion an option for blocked paths.

Your older antenna sounds as if it is a phased array which in your situation is the best type of antenna for this. Your new one is not. Secondly position both horizontally and vertical can be critical.

The reason why you are having problems with the ABC & SBS from Knights Hill is that they are at a much higher frequency than the commercials hence greater losses. You do not have enough signal.

I suggest you also click on the link in the first post to antenna basics for more information.

AlanH

Thanx for the quick reply Alan. I thought that may be the case ( the type of antenna) but was wondering (hoping) that I wouldn't have to try the swap..!!! I may just see if I can exchange the new one, they did have the other type at the shop where I bought it......

I had looked around at the houses surrounding us, they all have the V type hence that's why I got that type, I suppose I should have asked a few of them which channels they receive...!!!

Thanx again

GF

#146 Guest_dougsuxjoe_*

Guest_dougsuxjoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi, new to this forum

Do you guys have any recommendations for a site surveyer and possible antenna reinstall in the Illawarra region.

I've just recently moved into a house circa 1950s

i think the arial as a mixture of uhf and vhf, and its orientation looks comparable to the neighbouring properties

however i'm only able to recieve ABC and channel 9 (including GO and GEM), however there is plenty of artifact and loss of transmission is common

does it sound like i just need a simple reorientation of the arial or a whole new kit?

#147 nbound

nbound

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Depends, your not really gonna know until you get someone out for a quote/site survey.

All Illawarra sites are currently UHF, depending on how old/damaged your existing gear is, it may need replacement

The other likely possibility is that being just moved in, if there is an amplifier in the system, the previous owners may have taken the power injector for it. (most people think they are "signal boosters").
Which means very little signal will be getting through.

Edited by nbound, 02 February 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#148 GlennP

GlennP

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Bit hard to answer here.
Depends where in the Illawarra you are, what transmitter site the antenna is pointing to & how old it actually is?

Knights Hill hasn't had any VHF since the early 1990's when WIN Ch.4 switched off to allow FM radio to come to the Illawarra. If it's pointing there, it's likely very old & will need replacing. Those channels mentioned are also transmitted from different sites (at Knights Hill) & are spaced apart in frequency, so it's strange you can get those but not the others?

I you have a view to the North & the antenna is pointing to Sydney, you may need a better/new antenna or be better off installing a new UHF only antenna pointing at one of the Illawarra transmission sites? The location of the ABC at Gore Hill & 9 at Willoughby have a clearer line of sight to the Illawarra than 7 & 10 at Artarmon does, that would explain being able to get ABC & 9, the SBS UHF signal is much harder to get, being on UHF over VHF.

If, the antenna is pointing at Brokers Nose, it would've needed VHF for WIN Ch.3 Analogue, but no longer does. You'd be better off installing a new UHF only antenna here as well.

It maybe a simple fix? If the system does have an amplifier in it, & the power injector is missing or turned off/unplugged, usually no signal gets through, but you maybe picking up some signal on those channels through another part of the system, (splitter, coax cable, wall outlet connections or fly leads), especially if it's old & not highly shielded (Tri or Quad shield coax & F-type connections).

#149 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Doug,
Follow http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=11690. It will give you the best transmitter to point to including new transmitters which have been installed last year. For example Port Kembla etc.
one of the links will give you the name of endorsed antenna installer in your area.

Alanh

#150 nbound

nbound

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Mount Kembla :)