• 12,633 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:49 AM

All,

Analog TV switchoffs are;

30th July 2013
Rest of NT 10th December 2013

Signal Sources

Terrestrial
broadcast transmission needs a TV antenna designed to cover only the radio frequency channels used by the transmitters on your local transmitter site.

Satellite broadcasting need a "Ku" band antenna dish for Australian broadcasting (Pay and Free to air). All domestic systems are encrypted.

Internet provides the user requested program downloads from ISPs or program providers.

Disc replay Blu-ray and Digital Video Discs are not covered here

All digital transmission systems will either faithfully reproduce what is being sent, the pictures will breakup into blocks with sound going on and off or a frozen image and silence. The frozen image can be replaced with a "no signal" sign. This is often called the digital cliff and can occur if the signal is too weak or too strong. Other than this the antenna system does not affect picture or sound quality. High Definition and Standard Definition signals share the same transmitted signal.

Obtaining broadcast signals.

Determine the most likely source
1. Type your exact street address.

2. On the "MySwitch" website click on the "Transmitter Information" on the lower left side. Compare the previous map to the current map. If both transmitters are in the same pink or blue colour pick the transmitter closest to you.

3. Now click on the ACMA Out of licence area reception form B58

Subsidies Beware that subsidies are available for those on full pensions and those who have been using an analog translator which is not converted to digital. The subsidy is not available if you buy your satellite receiver more than 6 months before analog switchoff in your region. Subsidies are not available if you can already view digital TV. DBCDE Household Assistance Scheme and DBCDE Satellite Subsidy Scheme

Determine the type of receiver required for digital television
There are two groups of receivers
Ground based (Terrestrial) transmission or Satellite Based Transmission

Terrestrial receiver
This receiver should be capable of receiving the following program streams;
All areas: ABC1 – ABC3, ABC24, SBSHD, SBS2, One, Eleven, 7Mate, 7Two, GEM, Go!
TEN, Southern Cross, Imparja.
This receiver TV, Personal Video Recorder or Set Top Box is usually called HD and should comply to
Australian Standard 4933.1-2010 Digital Television – Requirements for receivers – VHF/UHF DVB-T Television Broadcasts. (High Definition, MPEG4 capable)
Do not buy Standard Definition Set Top Boxes as you will not get a full range of programs. High Definition Set Top Boxes can provide signals to old type receivers.

Satellite Receiver

Those who are currently using Aurora, will have to replace this receiver by the end of 2013. If the dish, cabling etc are ok, only the receiver needs replacing. Replacing the TV with a new widescreen TV will show the programs in the best quality.
VAST Receiver Specifications.

Reception is only possible when authorised.
Northern limits
The rest of the NT is in the VAST coverage area

VAST Northern Australia covers these yellow area and receivers may be authorised now.

Antenna signal distribution from the antenna
In single dwellings a splitter may be used to feed up to typically 4 outlets. (However, this depends on signal strength as splitters reduce the signal strength.)

Multiple dwelling blocks use Master Antenna TV systems (MATV) which consist of a single antenna followed by an amplifier, which in bigger systems use a separate amplifier for each terrestrial channel. Satellite MATV systems also contain a pair of amplifiers, one for vertically polarised satellite signals and a second amplifier for horizontally polarised signals.
MATV systems can also carry digital radio signals. (DAB+ and DRM+)

Please note that channelised MATV systems the amplifiers have to be replaced or retuned to the new digital channels.

Antenna Installers
Use an endorsed digital installer.
List of installers' names.

There is a new Australian Standard for TV antennas AS 1417.1(Int)-2011
All installations should be to Australian Standard 1367:2007 (ignoring the analog TV requirements) These standards is not compulsory but ensures reliable reception in single and multiple dwellings.

For MATV systems please read this handbook.

Which antenna should be installed?

From the map on "MySwitch"
Dark Pink indicates prime reception area. Antennas with only a few dB are ok if they are elevated outside
Light Pink High gain (highest number of dB)
Dark Blue Use the blocked signal path recommendation with a masthead amplifier. Antenna may be
Light Blue Use the blocked signal path recommendations with a masthead amplifier. Antenna is 10 m above the ground.
Note: These recommendations are subject digital signal measurements to the requirements of AS1367:2007 (without analog requirement).

Don't Get Ripped Off! Do not install antennas designed for analog channels 0 – 5A. About 30% of the metal work will or is not used any more. Furthermore these antennas can make reception less reliable. The antenna should not be more than 750 mm wide.

Antenna Types Drawings

Whilst they still exist, analog channels within the antenna channel range will be receivable.

Read the Transmitter List

The best antenna is one designed for the TV channels to be received in your area. This is because all of the metal work will get used. This gives greater sensitivity to the channels you want and less to the unwanted ones.

"Antenna Replace"
White text on red background
This shows which sites have analog transmissions on channels below channel 6.

"Antenna Replace"
Red print. on pale blue background
A change in UHF band. Only replace antenna if the signals break up which may be weather dependent.

Write down the antenna type for the transmission site you wish to use.

Now click on the antenna type from the transmitter list to see your options for your antenna.
H4
H3

H35

Caravans/Marine Band 3, 4 - 5

Digital Dividend – The selling of RF Channels 52 – 69 will require changes in the channels used. The required channel changes will occur in 2014.

The plan is for a pair of national broadcasters, three commercial broadcasters and a community broadcaster. This uses 6 channels.

The plan is to put all the transmitters on a single site into one of these groups
Using the Antenna Types in the transmitter lists these types fit the new channel groups.
H3 or V3 Channels 6 - 8, 10 – 12
H4 or V4 Channels 28 – 33
H4+ or V4+ Channels 34 -39
H5 or V5 Channels 40 – 45
H5 or V5 Channels 46 - 51
The ACMA is trying to restack the digital channels on each site to be within the antenna type already in use.
This will remove the requirement for Channel 27 – 69 (HWb and VWb type) antennas so that more sensitive narrow band antennas can be used for no change in price.
Hopefully this will remove the requirements for C## type antennas. This only applies to Canberra, Manning River, MIA, Goulburn Valley, Wide Bay, Gladstone East.
* Example 1: Darwin will not require any changes because they are already using channels 29 – 33.

It is the Building owner's responsibility to upgrade to digital reception. See MATV above. This also applies to rental houses.

Indoor Antennas

Indoor antennas generally produce unreliable reception; however here are some guidelines if you wish to try one in a prime reception area.

Cabling
It should be quad shielded RG6 with F connectors at any joins.
This is to minimise the pick up of electrical switching and TV signals other than picked up by the antenna.

Masthead amplifiers Should only be considered if the measured digital signals show there is too little signal. If that is not an option try the above techniques first.

Radio – Digital radio and FM

Digital Radio
DAB+ used in all mainland state capitals, with trials in Canberra and Darwin. Use a band 3 Yagi-Uda antenna with its elements vertical with respect to the horizon.

FM
None of the antennas listed above are designed to receive FM radio. The best way is to have an independent system Please read FM Antennas

DRM+ if used will use what was being used for analog TV channels 0 – 2.
DRM30 is another type of digital radio which will replace AM radio and will not use any of the above equipment. Not on

Free to Air Satellite TV – Viewer Access Satellite Television (VAST)

This satellite service is paid for by the Commonwealth Government to provide TV to remote areas of Australia. There is 3 licence areas
Northern: It covers inland Qld and all of NT except Darwin
those who can prove that there is insufficient signal available at 10 m above the ground.

[url="http://%22http//www.digitalready.gov.au/what-is-the-switch/VAST-service.aspx""]Viewer Access Satellite Television[/url]

For more information
How to get into Digital TV Pt 2 -What to do about the antenna "Silicon Chip" April 2008
For TV Antenna Basics +
For Radio Digital Television and Radio - Off-Topic Thread

AlanH

:wacko: Please post any queries in this geographic viewer's forum

Edited by alanh, 25 June 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#2 aeon

aeon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:57 PM

Interesting stuff - though it doesn't mean much to me heh. :blink:

Maybe I'll have to look into getting a better antenna one of these days! (or better cable at least).

#3 samsung

samsung

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

alanh,

thank you for that informative post. i have a question. i have a samsung 32inch with integrated hd tuner. i am receiving all the hd channels. my problem is that i'm getting breakup of all channel images into boxes, and in the case of nine no picture at all. also time of day seems to effect channel quality.. i am living in a unit and was wandering if you can recommend anything to imrove the quality of the images i'm getting.. thank you

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Samsung,
I need more information
What suburb/town are you in?
What type of antenna are you using. Go to the antenna recommendations and there is a link to drawings
Are you using an indoor antenna. If so go to the indoor antenna link within the above post.
Are you using a masthead amplifier?

AlanH

#5 Jamesee

Jamesee

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

just getting my posts up

#6 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

Before deciding what is required to provide the best reception, first you must know what signal levels and quality are present at a given location.

The key to digital reception is obtaining signals of adequate power and quality At THE ANTENNA.

Amplifiers should only be used to compensate for distribution losses, not to try and increase signals which are too low/not present.

Over-use of amplifiers without prior knowledge of signal power and Bit Error Rates is almost guaranteed to not only amplify existing problems, but to also create new ones.

Selection of the correct antenna for a particular location, together with accurate digital measurements to locate the best mounting location for the antenna are things which make every installation unique.

A "blanket post" across every regional area DTV forum recommending such bad practice may be considered 'trolling'.

As you are a new member, having only joined the forum today, burnoutking2 perhaps you could share with us your location, what channels you are receiving and from where, and what antennas and amplifiers you are using to achieve this.

I have my suspicions this poster is closely related to recently suspended troll, tyrewarmer20/dodgy

#7 Beached

Beached

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

Why is the volume on CH 90 HD fluctuating ?. Is this a reception problem ?. I just tune to Ch 9 SD as the volume level stays the same albeit louder than the rest of the channels.

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

Beached,,
All HD channels including Channel 90 use 5.1 surround sound with a wider dynamic range. So it will get louder if the director wants to be dramatic. The SD channels are likely to be MPEG2 sound. This uses compressed sound which will not vary in volume and is stereo only.

You may find a Dynamic range control in the sound set up menu if you do not like the dramatic sound.

AlanH

#9 KristyC

KristyC

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

test

#10 radav

radav

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

I had problems with my computer TV card picking up DTD Ten.
For people with similar issues here is what you need to add channel manually

DTD SD
Service ID: 33
Video PID: 3901
Audio PID: 3902
Freq: 564.500KHz

DTD HD
Service ID: 33 same as above but it wont matter
Video PID: 3911
Audio PID: 3912
Freq: 564.500KHz

Hope that helps! :D

#11 Dazza901

Dazza901

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

All,

Analog TV switchoffs are;
All of NT between 1st July - 31st December 2013

Follow the sequence below to determine what you need to do. This applies to new and existing installations, in which pixellates (picture breaks up into blocks) and the sound chirps)

Antenna Selection

1. Determine the most appropriate transmitter site
Most regions have a main transmitter shown in bold and some translators. Translator is of lower power than the main transmitter for the region. Translators are used to fill in a shadow area caused by the local terrain. A translator converts the signal from one channel to another to prevent interference.

Click on
Transmitter List
to find you likely transmitter site(s)

Open on another screen Coverage Area Maps and select the state and your DTV transmitter. If present this will give you a coverage area map to determine which site is best for you.

If an antenna technician can provide evidence that there are no signals at your site, you can get the ABC, SBS, two commercial stations and some radio channels directly from a satellite. Go to the end of this post.

2. Select the antenna type
From the spreadsheet use the antenna type to select the link below

H3
H4

Caravans/Marine
Band 3, 4 - 5

Indoor Antennas

Antenna Type Drawings

“Antenna Replace”
Red background, white print.

The best antenna is one designed for the TV channels to be received in your area. This is because all of the metal work will get used. This gives greater sensitivity to the channels you want and less to the unwanted ones.

In Darwin, using H4 antennas will minimise the effect of lightning on reception. No antenna will give protection from a direct strike.

Cabling
It should be quad shielded RG6 with F connectors at any joins.
This is to minimise the pick up of electrical switching and TV signals other than picked up by the antenna.

Masthead amplifiers Should only be considered if the measured digital signals show there is too little signal. If that is not an option try the above techniques first.

Recognising interference
Better Television & Radio Reception

Please note this is general information. Use an antenna installer who can measure and error rates of digital signals (They should be able to give you Bit Error Rates (BER) figures of less than 1 in 10 000.) If they cannot do this, get someone else.

Apartments and retirement villages use Master Antenna TV systems (MATV)

MDU Handbook. This document is designed for presentation to the Body Corporate or the building owners.

Remember that analog transmitters will be switched off between Dec 2009 Metro, and 2013 in the last regional areas.

These systems contain amplifiers for individual channels. In any non-digital installations you will generally find some digital channels are not receivable due to this filtering. Prior to upgrading or installing an MATV system make sure all receivers are digital or have a set top box. This will mean that the channel amplifiers can be retuned or replaced rather than installing another set of 5 amplifiers. Then specify that the installation must conform to Australian Standard 1367-2007. This will ensure that all digital channels will be available, including HD and surround sound when available.

Radio – FM, DAB and DRM
FM
None of the antennas listed above are designed to receive FM radio. The best way is to have an independent system Please read FM Antennas

DRM is another type of digital radio which will replace AM radio and will not use any of the above equipment.

More Information
How to get into Digital TV Pt 2 -What to do about the antenna "Silicon Chip" April 2008
For TV Antenna Basics +
For Radio Thread

If an antenna technician can prove no TV signals are available, then a free to air satellite receiver is an option.
Stations available

The programs are transmitted through the satellite in digital form, but in some towns are then retransmitted in analog. A home satellite receiver will receive the signal in digital, however there is none of the enhancements such as multi channel, wide screen etc.

To obtain reception read the following link
Out of area reception

AlanH
:wacko: Please post any queries in this geographic viewer's forum

test

#12 Dazza901

Dazza901

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

test

i am having trouble with ch 7 and 70, they have large pixels at times and the audio chirps. signal strength is about 80%. Is that enough? i live in gunn at the bottom of the escarpment

#13 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Dazza,
What are the readings for the other channels like.

Signal strength and signal quality are both important for reliable reception.

What type of antenna are you using. There are drawings of the types in the "Antenna basics link+" in the first post.

AlanH

#14 Dazza901

Dazza901

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Dazza,
What are the readings for the other channels like.

Signal strength and signal quality are both important for reliable reception.

What type of antenna are you using. There are drawings of the types in the "Antenna basics link+" in the first post.

AlanH

Thanks for your reply, i am using a UHF Jaycar antenna
91 Element UHF Antenna

Specifications
Elements - 91
Gain - 15 - 19dB
Channels - 21 to 69
Bands - 4 & 5
Freq. - 470 to 862MHz
Boom Width - 20mm sq
Overall Length 2214mm.

The other channels are only marginally better at about 83% except ABC 3 which has the same issues as 7 and 70.
All other channels seem to work fine. I have a Digimatch masthead amp • Heavy duty clamping system
• Switchable input selection
• Posistor protected
• Regulated power supply
• F-type connectors
• Adjustable interstage gain on UHF & VHF
• UHF gain: 10 - 30dB
• VHF gain: 5 - 25dB
• Fully shielded
• Male F connector adaptor included
• Dimensions: 112(W) x 108(H) x 35(D)mm

I think that i may have the power setting too high, Near max. As soon as the rain stops i plan on dropping that back a bit.

Signal Quality sits on 100% but drops off an on every few minutes or so resulting in the pixelation etc...

#15 Dazza901

Dazza901

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Another thing, how important is the direction of the antenna?, i know that my signal comes from a tower in berrimah (Delerine rd) but how can i tell if im am pointing at it other that looking at the neighbours and guessing?
Does fine tuning it make any real differnce?

Edited by Dazza901, 06 January 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#16 _steph_

_steph_

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

- PLEASE HELP -

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I am in the middle of a digital TV reception nightmare.

TV: Dick Smith LCD with HD DVB-T
Antenna: Dick Smith digital indoor or outdoor TV antenna (L 4074). I know indoor antennas are shockers but the outdoor aerial in the apartment building doesn't even work for analogue TV (I was using bunny ears) so needless to say when I tried to connect the new digital TV to the outlet, there was 0 reception.

I have tried moving the TV and aerial all over the apartment, close to windows, up high, in different rooms etc. etc. but no luck. There are security screens on the windows so hanging the aerial outside the window isn't possible.

Analogue reception on the new digital TV is poor and there is NO digital signal (ie. the new TV and aerial are not picking up any digital channels) ?!?!?!?

I am absolutely dreading going back to the tiny analogue TV and bunny ears so if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Edited by _steph_, 24 March 2010 - 11:12 PM.

#17 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

- PLEASE HELP -

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I am in the middle of a digital TV reception nightmare.

TV: Dick Smith LCD with HD DVB-T
Antenna: Dick Smith digital indoor or outdoor TV antenna (L 4074). I know indoor antennas are shockers but the outdoor aerial in the apartment building doesn't even work for analogue TV (I was using bunny ears) so needless to say when I tried to connect the new digital TV to the outlet, there was 0 reception.

I have tried moving the TV and aerial all over the apartment, close to windows, up high, in different rooms etc. etc. but no luck. There are security screens on the windows so hanging the aerial outside the window isn't possible.

Analogue reception on the new digital TV is poor and there is NO digital signal (ie. the new TV and aerial are not picking up any digital channels) ?!?!?!?

I am absolutely dreading going back to the tiny analogue TV and bunny ears so if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

From my understanding the berrimah transmitter is the only transmitter with both commerical and national TV channels in NT. Are you sure that the antenna is pointed toward the berrimah transmitter or pointed toward the gardens, near the casino? If it is pointed toward the gardens, you probably won't get any reception from the TV transmitter at the gardens.

I understand there was previous plans to install a translator for Darwin North above NT House for digital services, but not sure if it is still going to proceed or not.

#18 _steph_

_steph_

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for the prompt advice, willwalk. Sadly, even directing the antenna towards Berrimah has failed to pick up a digital signal.

I hope they do install a translator above NT House soon but in the meantime I shall sadly have to admit defeat and return the TV and antenna.

Can't believe it's 2010 and I have to go back to analogue and bunny ears. I'm so unbelievably disappointed!

#19 ChaosMaster

ChaosMaster

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the prompt advice, willwalk. Sadly, even directing the antenna towards Berrimah has failed to pick up a digital signal.

I hope they do install a translator above NT House soon but in the meantime I shall sadly have to admit defeat and return the TV and antenna.

Can't believe it's 2010 and I have to go back to analogue and bunny ears. I'm so unbelievably disappointed!

If you haven't yet returned the television, there is one more thing you can try, although there is no absolute guarantee that it will work. If the picture you get with the bunny ears on the analogue TV is reasonably clear, there is some chance that you could use them for digital reception with the new TV. Again, no guarantees, but it's worth a try. You don't necessarily need a new 'Digital Specific' indoor antenna.

Cheers.

#20 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

Could it be that nearby buildings in the city could be blocking the signal to the Berrimah tower? Do you have a signal booster to boost the signal?

#21 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Stephen,
There is no digital transmitters on top of NT House.

I would also buy a new antenna fly lead for connection between the wall and the receiver. Just incase it is faulty. This is surprisingly common. Test it to the analog TV.

Go back to the first post in this strand and click on Indoor antennas. Return the DSE antenna and replace it with the recommended one. If that does not work try the one from Jaycar. Keep the rod part of the antenna pushed right in. This antenna is directional so it needs to be pointed towards Berrimah.

I would also suggest you check the date of the analog switch off at the start of the first post. Also read the link about the Master Antenna TV systems. The cheapest way is if all receivers, TV or STB connected to the antenna system are digital.H

AlanH

#22 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Stephen,
There is no digital transmitters on top of NT House.

AlanH

Yes I know that, but I do recall there were plans to install digital translators at NT House, does anybody remember this? Has the plans been dropped or is it still on the agenda to install digital translators at NT House before changeover date?

#23 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

William,
The ACMA will be measuring the coverage areas of DTV transmitters in the same order as the analog switch off to see if digital translators are required.
Poor MATV installations will not cause translators to be installed.

BTW I was answering Stephen not you.

AlanH

#24 ChaosMaster

ChaosMaster

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

BTW I was answering Stephen not you.

No need to be rude. willwalk was trying to raise a potentially valid point. And who is 'Stephen' (not meaning to be smart here, but I don't think _steph_ qualified his/her actual name, so making assumptions is not generally a good idea).

Edited by ChaosMaster, 27 March 2010 - 09:10 PM.

#25 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Chaosmaster,
I have no idea what Stephen's name is, I was answering his question, the reply was directed at William who said it (See the previous post has his name at the top).

AlanH