• Please log in to reply
653 replies to this topic

#551 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Alan,
Your problem is too much signal not too little. Do not use any masthead amplifier. Go to an electronics retailer and buy an attenuator and try it out. If this is unsuccessful mssage me.

AlanH

#552 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

Alan,
Your problem is too much signal not too little. Do not use any masthead amplifier. Go to an electronics retailer and buy an attenuator and try it out. If this is unsuccessful mssage me.

AlanH

Thanks, Alanh. Will try that out.

#553 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

Alan,

AlanH

Thanks, Alanh. Will try that out.

#554 tvbert

tvbert

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

hi

bought this from DSE and getting good signal when plugged straight into TV but when put a splitter on and run second cable to Hd recorder then lose SBS signal on anything connected via splitter, still get SBS on TV.

Also dont get SBS with a loop out of TV and into Hd recorder. I assume splitter needs some sort of booster ?

http://dicksmith.com...door-tv-antenna

I am South of river near Applecross.

#555 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

tvbert,
Read and follow the links in the pinned post in this strand. - Get the best reception - Perth.

When you type your exact address into the Digital Ready website you will find...
There will be a new set of 5 translators on the top of the Central Park building to repeat the signals coming from Bickley/Lesmurdie/Carmel. This should be on air by the end of this year. It will definately be on air by the middle of next year.

After the middle of next year SBS digital will move from RF channel 29 to RF channel 7. The seven network will continue transmitting their programs on RF channel 6. This will cure your SBS problem. This will occur prior to the end of 2014.

You will see from the DSE catalogue that this antenna is designed to receive RF channel 2 which is used by ABC1 analog. This will be switched off in the middle of next year. I tried to get DSE to stop stocking this type of antenna to no avail. In addition it is designed for all UHF channels when currently we use only channels 28 - 32 in Perth. The wide range of channels makes the antenna less sensitive.

In addition the link to antenna basics shows that splitters will divide the signal power by the number of outlets. In addition, there is more signal loss for channels 28 - 32 as compared to channels 6 - 12. The longer the cable the bigger the comparative loss for SBS/West TV.

I would also check the cabling and plugs used. Remember the antenna is connected to the input. Use the splitter to split the signal to the TV and the recorder. Do not use RF out on the recorder. Some times flyleads which you use to connect the wall socket to the TV can be faulty even if new.

AlanH

#556 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi all
I live in the hills, Wooroloo area. TV reception has been ok for the most part over the years, although signal strength when tuning the TV has always showed less than 10%. More like 5% at times. That was with a 12 year old CRT tele, el cheapo digital top box plus a Hills A2A mast head amp. Still have this tv connected but recently purchased an LED TV plus a Kingway splitter for the antenna signal. Problem is now I 'm getting intermitant signal problems on both teles when connected. Connect back to the CRT and top box and no problem. I suspect its probably signal strength related.
Antenna is an old Hills VHF/ UHF with separate antennas for each, roof mounted. Also have a ruddy great jaccaranda tree in line of the signal path which wouldnt help. Am thinking of updating the antenna to a Hill PHD3 and replace the old coax cable but before I do I'd like your opinions on if this antenna would suit my needs or is there one that would do the job better. Thanks

#557 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

ELPS,
Do you watch SBS and or West TV?
If you do you can get a much more sensitive antenna. SBS is moving to channel 7 after the middle of next year and West TV will move from UHF.

Please follow the first post in this strand. The signal strength is important and when you put your exact address it will give you the direction of the antenna and a colour on the map of your location. What is it?

AlanH

#558 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi Alan. Yes we do watch SBS. Ok, it says - You are in an area where moderate coverage of the available digital TV services is predicted. - signal strength - variable, colour is a blotchy orange and green and I'm in the orange, bearing 221.8 degrees, distance 29.9kms
thank.

#559 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Assuming the rest of the system is ok, sounds like you need a higher gain antenna(s). Two separate antennas will almost always provide better performance than one. Without level readings (via a professional signal meter) its hard to suggest much further, best to get someone out to have a look, take readings and recommend a course of action.

#560 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I talked to my brother tonight who had this service done a few years ago.(lives nearby) He said getting someone to come out this way is not easy to do. The Tech that did charged $700 to change the coax cable and adjust the antenna. Seems steep to me.
Must be a high gain antenna out there I can try?

Edited by ELPS, 30 April 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#561 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

ELPS,
Any chance of posting a photo of your existing antenna. It does not have to be close up provided I can count the elements sticking out from the boom.

AlanH

#562 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

Wrong tree.

Edited by hrh, 01 May 2012 - 12:53 AM.

#563 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

HAve a photo but don't know how to post here

#564 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

ELPS,
Once you have posted 5 posts you will see an icon which looks like a TV screen which is 11 icons from the left on the lower row. You can use it to insert an image'

Alanh

#565 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

OK. I tried that but couldnt see any image posted. Will try again
No, I cant do this. Its a Jpeg image. Really dont know what I'm doing. Sorry.
So the UHF antenna has 8 short elements (all the same length) then a V shape (at the back) pointing forwards with four slightly longer elements.Two at the top and two at the bottom.
The VHF underneath has a dual support bar going to a single bar at the front.
Has 3 fairly long elements across the single bar and roughly another 5 longer elements top and bottom of the two bar. Hope this is some help

Edited by ELPS, 01 May 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#566 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Look at lower row of icons when creating/editing a post:

Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethru, Subscript, Superscript, Bulleted List, Numbered List, Link, Unlink, IMAGE!

Edited by nbound, 01 May 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#567 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,411 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

HAve a photo but don't know how to post here

If you have already uploaded it elsewhere, you can link to it in the way alanh and nbound have described.

However, if you want to upload it to this forum, I believe you still need to use the attachments part of the forum at http://www.dtvforum....p?showforum=145

Once you've done that, you can use the "My Media" icon to include the uploaded picture when posting [using "More Reply Options"] in some other thread on the forum, such as this one. Cheers

Edited by MLXXX, 01 May 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#568 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Your UHF sounds on the small side, will probably need to see pix for the VHF (Cant picture your description).

#569 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yes I understand were the image icon is but I cant seem to paste anything into it.
URL??? I assume thats a link to my computer where the image is but I cant get it to work.

Edited by ELPS, 01 May 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#570 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

You'll need to follow MLXXX's instructions above :)

#571 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

100_0461.JPG
Well that seemed to work.

Edited by ELPS, 01 May 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#572 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

There are higher gain aerials of both the UHF and VHF available. The aerial for VHF also appears to be cut for channels <6 which can increase some types of interference (though not the problem in this case). Without measurements all you can do is try replacing things and hope you do it right (ie. it can become a BIG money sink). You really do need a meter to know whether you are doing the right thing. Most towns over a few thousand have at least one antenna installer, you dont seem too far from Mundaring (im an east coaster - so not familiar), someone from there possibly?

#573 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

The aerial for VHF also appears to be cut for channels <6 which can increase some types of interference (though not the problem in this case). ...
you dont seem too far from Mundaring (im an east coaster - so not familiar), someone from there possibly?

Yes, the VHF is an older design for the pre-digital era, and the UHF is a fairly standard one for medium signal areas.
Mundaring 'might' have someone, but the more likely option would be just use the Yellow pages for somebody in the eastern/hills area. A fringe reception antenna could be the answer but without measurements it is very much a guess and giggle.

#574 ELPS

ELPS

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for that. When you say 'Doing the right thing', can you explain this please? I understand signal direction is important but as I appear to be in a pretty marginal reception area anyway wouldn't the highest gain reasonably priced antenna do the trick?

Edited by ELPS, 01 May 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#575 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

When you say 'Doing the right thing', can you explain this please?

Getting the best value for money, or performance from a piece of hardware (the antenna) that is best for the situation.

I understand signal direction is important but as I appear to be in a pretty marginal reception area anyway wouldn't the highest gain reasonably priced antenna do the trick?

Not always. The location of it could be a factor too, not just the direction it is pointing.

Edited by hrh, 01 May 2012 - 10:59 PM.