Get The Best Reception, Perth & Toodyay

• Please log in to reply
653 replies to this topic

#526 stretch60

stretch60

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

I hope this gets to the right place in the forum, not too good at navigating these places.

I hope someone can give me a simple solution to my problem. I have installed a new antenna from DSE last year, when I went from DSTB to full HD TV. After not getting reception of Ch 7 programs I have this week replaced the cabling from very old copper based to RG6 Quad shielded cable and a new 2 way splitter with screw on F connecters.

I now get channel seven channels but ocasionally they stutter. Then after Christmas went to Retravision to replace the bedroom tv and DSTB with a small LCD Full HDTV. Tuned the TV and there was no CH 7 or CH9. Went back to retailer with tv and it tuned in perfectly at the shop. Now with the channels tuned and saved went home and no signal on 7 and 9. With the settop box in Standard HD I got the channels.?

Two things I have though of is changing the direction the antenna is pointing or signal amplifier, however the more I read the more confused I get. Is there a certain bearing the antenna has to point? it appears to be pointing in the same direction as other in th area?

Please Help
Annoyed resident of Wanneroo

It also gets worse during heavy rain and wind ( The question alan has asked Jordan)

Edited by stretch60, 28 December 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#527 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

stretch60,
Dick Smith recently started sell one, band 3, 4 & 5. In Perth you only want band 3 & 4.

You ave insufficient signal.

Did you put your own F connectors on the cables?

Read the first post in this strand and you need an antenna in the H34 link. Remember the transmitters are in Bickley which is south East of you in the hills.

Some areas of Wanneroo have hills in the Wanneroo area to the south east of them. Those areas will need more sensitive antennas.

AlanH

#528 stretch60

stretch60

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

stretch60,
Dick Smith recently started sell one, band 3, 4 & 5. In Perth you only want band 3 & 4.

You ave insufficient signal.

Did you put your own F connectors on the cables?

Read the first post in this strand and you need an antenna in the H34 link. Remember the transmitters are in Bickley which is south East of you in the hills.

Some areas of Wanneroo have hills in the Wanneroo area to the south east of them. Those areas will need more sensitive antennas.

AlanH

Thanks for the reply AlanH

OK, so I need to buy another antenna replacing the one that is less than 12 months old?. I will try anything at this stage. Yes I connected the F connectors myself, they are the scew on type. I peeled back the wire and foil surrounding the centre wire and screwed the connector over the top. Right or wrong? Also are you able to give me a compass bearing of the bickley transmitter from Wanneroo East. I am just north of the high school. I put the flat panel on the wall today and re connected the antenna cable to the wall plate, it was a bit corroded. Now when I turn on the TV in the bedroom it interferes with the signal on the main telly. :angry:

Regards

Stretch60

Edited by stretch60, 29 December 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#529 Jarod63

Jarod63

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

Jarrod,
I did not see your post.
Downloaded video, unless it was recorded off air first will not have any of the problems of off air interference. However the quality is usually worse anyway.

Impulse noise gets weaker as the frequency rises, so UHF such as SBS and West TV is less affected than the VHF channels. This is why the ACMA has not allocated any TV transmitters to any RF channel below channel 6.

Do you have a masthead amplifier mounted in a box below the antenna, along with a plug pack which is fed into an inserter in the antenna feed between the receiver and the wall socket?

Essentially you do not have enough signals. Another cause is corrosion in the antenna, which is common in Craigie because of the high salt level in the air. This particularly makes reception of 9, GEM and Go! unreliable in impulse interference.

Look at the antenna drawings in the link Antenna basics in the first post in this strand. Post the antenna type you have from the drawings. You should also be able to see manufacturers' pictures in the H34, and H3, H4 links in the same first post in this strand.

The best way to reduce this interference is to get an electrician to put an 100 nF capacitor across the contacts of a flasher relay or the flashing bulb.. If LEDs are being used the capacitor can be placed across the output of the controller.

From your description you either have an antenna system fault or the antenna is not sensitive enough. Do you loose signal during heavy rain?

AlanH

Hi Alan

Re the downloaded video: The downloaded video is recorded TV broadcasts. BBC 1, 2, 3 in the UK. Various stations in the US and Canada. No impulse noise at all. Ever. The video is compressed using DivX/Xvid. The quality on my 42 inch plasma is excellent. I read that UHF is used overseas whereas in Australia it's predominantly VHF. Typical that we get the bargain basement version.

As for my reception, I do not lose the signal during heavy rain. Hail is not a problem either.

The antenna is 5 years old so corrosion is not a problem. My previous antenna lasted 20 years without a problem. The only reason it was replaced was because a "high gain" antenna was installed. This did get rid of alot of the impulse noise. I do not have a masthead amplifier because the installer said that if the impulse noise was being picked up by the antenna then the amplifier will amplify the impulse noise too. I have read that on a few different websites so I accept that what the installer told me is correct.

I am on the wrong side of a hill and there are tall trees on the top of the hill. I have been told that the only way to increase signal strength is to put up a mast to get the antenna up higher. I have noticed that a few people around here have done that.

It would be helpful if you could tell me what sort of antenna you think I need. To be honest, though, as this problem only happens at Christmas I can't see that spending hundreds of dollars more is worth it.

I assume that your advice about the capacitor refers to the flashing lights on my neighbour's Christmas tree. That is not an option.

Is it possible that my neighbour's digital signal is not affected by the impulse noise from her Christmas tree lights? Her antenna is just a standard VHF/UHF antenna. The same one she has had for years. I know she has a set top box. I've seen it. Whether she uses it is another matter. She has a cathode ray TV that is at least 10 years old.

I'm just grateful I don't have one of those people who cover their houses in flashing lights for a neighbour.

Edited by Jarod63, 02 January 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#530 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

Jarod

Minimisation of impulse interference
1. You install an antenna designed for channels to be received (in your case 6 - 12 and 27 - 35). This is to maximise the digital signal and minimise the pick up of impulse interference using an antenna designed for analog channel 2. The width of the antenna is around 2 m instead of about 0.75 m.

2. Maximisation of the received signal strength using a digital field strength meter to find the optimum location both horizontally and vertically.

2. You use an amplifier containing a band pass filter to only pass the TV channels above prior to amplification. This will mean the amplifier will amplify the TV signal and not the interference because most of it has been removed.

3. The TV signal is now much stronger than any interference picked up along the antenna cable.

AlanH

#531 Wimpey

Wimpey

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for the reply AlanH

OK, so I need to buy another antenna replacing the one that is less than 12 months old?.

Regards

Stretch60

Hi Stretch60,

Another confused Wanneroo resident with Ch7 issues!!

Looks like i'm not to far from you, i'm just of Dundebar rd, i posted earlier in this thread to get some ideas regarding the mysterious CH7 which i used to view with good reception then it started intermittently with loss of reception only for it to come on again then disappear completely for days to re-appear again! Now its been weeks since i last had reception on Ch7.

Have had an antenna Tech out who couldn't get a signal from my roof with his gear and he also tried a new antenna, he suggested lots of expensive bits and bobs until i told him the guy next door gets Ch7 ok using just the antenna without all the extras.
So i'm still in the look out for someone who actually knows what they are doing rather than being able to use all the terminology that makes them sound like they know what they're doing! :rolleyes:

**I don't let them know my background just nod my head at the big words :D **

#532 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:08 AM

Whimpey,
It sounds as if you have a fault in the antenna system.
How long has it been bad?
Did the antenna installer have a meter to read the stength of not only that channel but the others as well.
If you are down the hill it will make the signal weaker.
Do you have an antenna which is unable to receive analog ABC1 (channel 2)?

AlanH

#533 injidup

injidup

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

I think it's time for me to get a new antenna. SBS has disappeared completely (I'm in Carine) but other channels are OK.
I assume the antenna is original (ie about 25yrs old) and although I have remade the connection to the cable at the antenna, it made no difference.

So, who do I contact to install a new antenna? I can't see any adverts within the forum for Perth installers. Please let me know where they are! I have contacted one of the Google advertisers from the top of the page, (SmartDimension) but are there any installers who use this forum and advertise here? I'd like to get more than one quote.

Or does anyone have a recommendation?

#534 inore

inore

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

hi guys....glad i'm not the only one....i'm in Noranda(near Morley) and allways had strong signals for all channels but around 2-3 months ago i suddenly had a really bad channel 7 signal that seeems to come and go ie. i record drew carey show same time every day and some times theres a signal and sometimes its all pixelated etc...some days it will only record a couple of minutes of show before self stopping. Unsure of what to do as all the other channels are fine. I have the same prob through the Pano HDD tuner or the old pano plasma HDTV tuner....

#535 inore

inore

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

hi guys....glad i'm not the only one....i'm in Noranda(near Morley) and allways had strong signals for all channels but around 2-3 months ago i suddenly had a really bad channel 7 signal that seeems to come and go ie. i record drew carey show same time every day and some times theres a signal and sometimes its all pixelated etc...some days it will only record a couple of minutes of show before self stopping. Unsure of what to do as all the other channels are fine. I have the same prob through the Pano HDD tuner or the old pano plasma HDTV tuner....

#536 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

more,
It sounds as if you have an antenna system fault.
Read the first post in this strand.

AlanH

#537 cdbrown

cdbrown

AV Forum Member

• 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

I'm going to install an antenna on the granny flat and split the signal between the flat and the bar room. MySwitch tells me (being in Guildford) I'm on the Perth transmitter in Bickley and said the following
Distance: 16.53 km
Bearing: 139.78
Strength: Good Coverage

You are in an area where strong coverage is predicted.

With the right antenna system and a digital ready high definition tuner, you should receive all available digital channels in your area.

Have ordered RG6 quad shield cables and have f-connectors and wall plugs. Next thing is the antenna - alanh's big post mentioned the PDH1 but then I've seen others say go for the PDH2. Is there any problem with going for the "stronger" antenna?

Cheers
-cdbrown

#538 Wimpey

Wimpey

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Update on my previous post..

Finally found the cause of my ch7 issues.................................. Bloomin evaporative air con unit!!

When the unit was installed it was placed within couple meters of the antenna, now i never put the obvious 2 and 2 together as the ch7 issue started to crop up just after the installation.
Turns out that the unit is emitting interference within 2-3m radius that was blocking ch7, as the technician found when checking signal strength etc around the roof.
Moved the antenna to other side of the roof and my little LP34 now has perfect signal on all channels.

Obviously it helps when you get someone out to fault find that actually makes an effort to find the issue rather than trying to make you believe spending hundreds $$ on boosters, new antennas etc will solve the problem.

#539 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Wimpey,
Evaporative air conditioners contain a variable speed motor to drive the fan. The variable speed controller converts the mains to DC and is then converted to AC. The frequency of the determines the speed of the motor. To create the AC electronic switchers operate very quickly which causes the interference you have encountered. These variable speed controllers should contain electronic filters to stop the interference.

AlanH

#540 define

define

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

Hi, We had an antenna replaced just over a yr ago. Unfortunately the guy was useless and we have had a few issues signal started out great at 95 and has since slowly dropped to 75-78%

I climbed up to look at the antenna and have noticed rust on approx half the screws, we live about 10km from the ocean in Halls Head Mandurah

My question are

1) can we replace these nuts/bolts with SS or could we cause damage in doing this
2) The issue appears to occur on channel 7 around 6:30pm and only thing I can think causing this is street lights (we do have a kingray amp) can this be an issue?
3) tivo reports 78% signal 316 MER I am getting a steady rise on pre virterbi errors all day but when I get blocks of pixelation it is reporting Packet errors and post viterbi (channel 7) any ideas

There is 4 outlets hooked up with a max of 3 running at any given time can we fix this issue or should I be looking at a new antenna that is not a combo that wont include channels 0-5

Thanks Alan for this thread I understand more now than I did when we hired some random idiot

#541 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Define,
Mandurah is really in the South West licence area.
This means that a small vertical antenna will be able to receive all networks from Turner Hill which is between Pinjarra and Dwellingup.
This site currently has ABC, SBS, GWN7 and WIN all analog and SBS digital. Soon ABC digital, GWN7 digital, WIN digital and TENWest along with One, 7Mate, GEM, Eleven, 7two, and GO!

This will mean you will not have to pick up Perth programs.

Get the Best Reception - Southern WA for antenna recommendations

Alanh

#542 define

define

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hi Alan

Currently with our antenna and tivo I pick up channels 10,One,7,9,7Mate,7Two,Go,Gem,Gwn7,Win,ABC1,ABC2,ABC3,ABCnews24,Eleven,SBS,SBS2,S
BSHD and wtv

I am getting good reception during the day it is when it gets dark that for some reason a few channels (mainly anything on the 7 network) I get some sound drop out and pixelation

According to "My switch" it says coming soon for all the channels I currently receive not just GWN7 Perth 7 as well would this mean I need a band 3,4 and 5 antenna? (so confused)

Every house in my area has antenna's pointed towards the Perth reception as of now is there any dates given when Mandurah comes on line with all channels

Can I replace the rusted nuts/bolts with stainless steal equivalents to see if that is what is causing my drop outs.

Perhaps I need to find a good antenna person locally as reception was fine when first went up it has just started to go downhill ever since

Edited some of my stupidity :)

Edited by define, 23 September 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#543 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:36 AM

This will mean you will not have to pick up Perth programs.

That comment can be said of the current situation.
You might not have to but you probably will want to as there will still be differences in programming between the rural version and the metro area versions of some of the commercial stations.

would this mean I need a band 3,4 and 5 antenna

You will currently need a band iii and iv mounted horizontally to receive the Perth digital signals and a band v mounted vertically pointing to Pinjarra to get the local rural stations, the same as lots of other people have done in that neck of the woods. If you are happy to not be able to pick up analog CH2 ABC then you won't need an antenna that is designed to be digital ready, rather you will need a digital only one which doesn't pick up the 0-5 channels. Part of the reception problem could be the corrosion as well as interference from FM radio which is exacerbated by the amplifier.

According to "My switch" it says coming soon for all the channels

A definition of "soon" needs to be made, but in the mean time...

Can I replace the rusted nuts/bolts with stainless steal equivalents to see if that is what is causing my drop outs.

You could but unless they form part of the signal gathering path the exercise could very well be useless. I would suggest given the location that corrosion has set in on other parts as well, however the problem may just be a poor connection on the coax lead or balun at the antenna which is showing signs of degradation sooner that it should.

These are just a few ideas but, as you say, the antenna installer was useless so that sounds like where the problems started and indeed a good local person with the right gear would no doubt be a good way to go.

#544 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hrh,
Your reply

AlanH

#545 define

define

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thank you for the reply,

It turns out I have fixed the issue through trial and error. The problem was I had the amplifier plugged in with a double adapter as soon as I changed it to a power board my signal has jumped from 77-78% to 95-97% and is now working fine again.

Rust is a problem here and no doubt will cause issues again in the future I now have great signal and just hope it stays this way until Mandurah transmitter comes online

Hrh you are correct I may not have to but would like to get Perth 7 over GWN7

Ideally I would like in future to have both options as I currently have now

Once again thanks for a great thread

#546 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

The problem was I had the amplifier plugged in with a double adapter as soon as I changed it to a power board my signal has jumped from 77-78% to 95-97% and is now working fine again.

OK. I give in. How did a double adaptor cause the problem?

#547 define

define

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hrh I do not know enough about it to explain how or why just that when I changed to power board my signals immediately jumped to 90-97% nothing else was changed

I have now thrown out that double adapter in case it has issues

#548 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

Define,
The most likely cause is poor contact in the power board. This causes arcing which produces perhaps tiny gaps in the signal but definately impulse interference.

AlanH

#549 define

define

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thank you for the explanation as to why Alan

#550 domi

domi

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Alex,
It may be that you have too much signal. Go to an electronics store and buy an attenuator for around $10. Plug it in between the STB antenna input and the antenna wall socket.

The only other possibility is too much reflected signals. Use a high gain (lots of dBs) band 4 antenna and the attenuator above.

Alanh

Alanh,

Orange Grove in the hills, strength 90 or so, quality as per Olin PVR 62. Audio dropouts on SBS and ABC especially if the Olin is not switched in and the antenna signal goes straight from antenna to TV. Recording SBS and watching ABC sometimes leads to pixellation too. Antenna is log periodic (?) ex Jaycar. Should I put a masthead amp in and connect it to UHF side to fix the dropouts?

Thanks, alan.