• Please log in to reply
648 replies to this topic

#26 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Strahan,
Whilst it is possible to be the cell phone tower it is much more likely to be the water police transmitter.

When you have posted 10 times I will be able to message you with more details

AlanH

#27 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:02 AM

On spec you appear to be suffering interference from a local source.

How about analogue reception or is this wot u r reporting?

Your existing antenna has Band 1 elements (the big ones) for reception of analogue Channel 2. These elements may be exacerbating VHF interference and signal overload.

Best solution is to move 100% digital and replace the old monster with a good Band 3/4+ digital combo (f-type connections) and all quad sheild feeds. This antenna will most likely eliminate Ch 2 analogue, but the remainder of the analogue transmissions will be just fine.

You may gain some intermediate improvement by reducing the signal level into the decoder (I'm assuming your current levels are all very strong).

If there is an amplifier (masthead etc) in circuit, try removing it.

#28 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

Wahroonga farm,
Those techniques may not be enough because the main signals can be quite weak in that area. I suspect the two way radio transmitter will be quite strong.

This is why I did not do my usual link.

AlanH

#29 Strahan

Strahan

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:15 PM

I was having lots of problems with analogue as well. Thats why I went digital. Sometimes it is a really good quality but the signal strength is never above 67%. Last night ch9 was compleatly dead. 0 signal and 0 quality,7 worked fine as usual. Earlier in the night all channels were perfect. Seems funny that it comes and goes with no regularity.....

I am yet to ask around the neighbours to see if they have trouble as well. They, and I work nights.
We are renting so replacing antennas is not really an option and am also loathe to do it because i do get great reception at times.

The plot thickens.....

#30 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

...The plot thickens.....

Are difficult then when not under your control. How 'bout an indoor antenna?

Oh and antenna corrosion is the other possible offender.

I agree Alan, but it's no harm trying to eliminate the simple things first.

#31 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Strahan,
Which type of interference is it on analog TV? Better Television and Radio Reception
Are you in a block of units or a single dwelling. If it is a single dwelling does it have a metal roof?
Are you currently using an indoor antenna or a socket in the wall?
Indoor Antennas

#32 Strahan

Strahan

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Its a single dwelling with a large out door antenna. It is connected through a wall plug. there is a booster on the wall plug, which if I disconnect I get nothing on all channels.
There is also a sat dish for foxtel etc on the roof (tile roof) which also runs down to wall plug. We dont have foxtel.
The analogue interferance looks like its FM broadcast. From the examples on the ABC website.
Its the same interferance I think because it too is random. Perfect one minute then not a thing.
Thanks for all your help, we might get to the bottom of it eventually.

#33 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

...... It is connected through a wall plug. there is a booster on the wall plug, which if I disconnect I get nothing on all channels.

Well unfortunately your wall plate is useless. In fact the antenna may not even make it to the outlet??? ... So garbage in garbage out. No wonder you have interference :blink: Try a decent indoor set-up, or draw and quarter the landlord.

There is also a sat dish for foxtel etc on the roof (tile roof) which also runs down to wall plug. We dont have foxtel.

This points at Optus C1. With a DVB-S set top box you'll get Expo, TVSN, Aljazeera English & ICTV FTA. With an Irdeto version STB and an Aurora card ($100) you'll get ABC and SBS all time zones.

#34 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

Strahan,
There is 2 community radio stations in View St East Fremantle. 107.9 6CCR and 91.3 6PCR. Neither of these stations are very powerful. This FM interference would be almost continuous. The weather can affect the level of interference by the TV signals varying is strength. If 2 way radio such as the the water police was a problem then it would appear in bursts.

I suggest your antenna system is faulty and it is up to the landlord to fix it.

AlanH

#35 Strahan

Strahan

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

Got a few days off now so will have a squiz and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the help.

#36 Strahan

Strahan

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

Well have been up in ceiling for a look and found: Antenna in to a Kingray DW30 distribution amp to a 3 way splitter off to location around the flat. Also the DW30 is powered by a wall wart which proiveds power up the coax.
I have by-passed the DW30 and unplugged the power unit with no loss of picture at all.
Will wait and see tonight if I lose channel 9 and 10.

#37 Strahan

Strahan

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

Well well, problem seems to be fixed! All signal strengths have gone up, picture is great and all is good.
None of the other antenna outlets in other rooms work but I can live with that.

Thanks for all the help.

#38 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Good news. I guess one of the fundamental rules ....... amps and digital in moderation.

You may even get by with a 3 way splitter instead of the DW30 :blink:

#39 Strahan

Strahan

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Yep it goes into a 3 way splitter, sort of a long box thing. Got no signal whatso ever on the other tv's, but I can put up with that.
I guess it something to do with either the DW30 picking up signals or the power supply feeding it up the co-ax?

#40 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

More likely the DW30 being overloaded by local interference, or just plain stuffed.

Try a splitter without the amp.

#41 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

Wahroonga Farm,
In that location it is extremely unlikely that there will be an overload of TV signals, however local FM transmitters are a different story.
Also Distribution amplifiers have much less gain than masthead amplifiers so are much less likely to overload anyway.
If you use a passive splitter, it is highly likely there would be insufficient TV signal. After all why was the amplifier put there in the first place.

AlanH

#42 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

More likely the DW30 being overloaded by local interference, or just plain stuffed.

Try a splitter without the amp.

Wahroonga Farm,
In that location it is extremely unlikely that there will be an overload of TV signals, however local FM transmitters are a different story.

AlanH

AlanH, I think we all know (well most of us anyway), that Bickley Carmel and Walliston aren't LOCAL??????

Why do you keep wanting to correct me when there is nothing to correct??

#43 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

Wahroonga Farm,
At that non local distance, the only overload will be local, in this case FM transmitters not TV signals.
If a filter is used to remove the FM signals there would be no overload.
AlanH

#44 wahroonga farm

wahroonga farm

DTV Forums Member

• 642 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:18 PM

AlanH, Your wacko!

#45 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

I'm a new user - could you please point me in the right direction if I'm posting in the wrong place? I live in Balga (near Hamersley border), I had problems with analogue reception a few years back and had an antenna tech out - aerial had been wind-blown, he reaffixed it. He tested the digital signal and told me that the signal wasn't good enough to get 2 channels (from memory, one was channel 7). I've just returned to this house - the reception is again awful on channels 2 and 7, particularly 2 - sometimes can't get get a picture, or there is so much noise/interference that you can't watch. Because of the eventual switching off of analogue, I'm again considering digital. All I want is watchable TV - I don't understand the electronics, and I don't want to know more than I need to to achieve what I want at reasonable cost. I need to find out how to overcome the inadequate signal thing, what aerial (or do I have to get a satellite dish?) I might need (I'll get a tech, but I don't want to be given the wrong thing) what the tech will have to do (if anything) to the antenna outlets (plugs in lounge, kitchen and 2 bedrooms) and what digital boxes are needed (do you need one for each TV? what about VCRs?). I'd be grateful for any assistance or guidance. :blink:

#46 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:52 PM

tekchallenged,
After you have made 10 posts send me a message using the new messages link and I will tell you what to do.

Do not buy a satellite dish.

AlanH

#47 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

tekchallenged,
After you have made 10 posts send me a message using the new messages link and I will tell you what to do.

Do not buy a satellite dish.

AlanH

Thanks Alan, I don't see myself getting to 10 posts - as I don't know what anybody is talking about, I don't have much to contribute to this forum :blink: :D

#48 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:09 PM

tekchallenged,
Roll down right to the bottom of the screen and click on the Problems? contact a human here and use the Email facility to ask for your messaging account to be activated.

AlanH

#49 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

tekchallenged,
Roll down right to the bottom of the screen and click on the Problems? contact a human here and use the Email facility to ask for your messaging account to be activated.

AlanH

Tried that - it said I don't have permission to send an email....

#50 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,560 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

tekchallenged,
You only have 7 to go. Put all your future posts in the one strand.

AlanH