Get The Best Reception, Perth & Toodyay

• Please log in to reply
653 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 12:00 AM

Edited by alanh, 25 March 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#2 Jack-ctu

Jack-ctu

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:55 PM

Can you tell me what sort of unit I need to get WIN (Wollongong)

Thanx

John

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

Jack-ctu,
There is only one WIN digital transmitter in WA which is near Quarading in the Central Wheatbelt. The only other option is WIN from Bunbury on analog on channel 39. The program is a Western Australian feed, using NEW10's Perth News and no other WA programming except advertising. The programs are a mix of Nine and Ten network programs.
Southern WA You can use the same antenna for digital for analog from Bunbury. Reception in Perth may be weather related, but it depends where you are.

AlanH

#4 alexmac

alexmac

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:25 AM

Hi Alan,

I'm in Joondanna, so its near to the other suburbs listed in the "post here if you are in these ares"..

All channels except SBS are have good strength and quality (90%/90%),

SBS has about "90%" for strength but only 50% and more often less for signal quality.. Do you or anyone else have some ideas? What was the reson for requesting that people in these areas with problems post?

All and any help appreciated :blink:

cheers

alex

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

Alex,
It may be that you have too much signal. Go to an electronics store and buy an attenuator for around $10. Plug it in between the STB antenna input and the antenna wall socket.

The only other possibility is too much reflected signals. Use a high gain (lots of dBs) band 4 antenna and the attenuator above.

Alanh

#6 alexmac

alexmac

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

Alex,
It may be that you have too much signal. Go to an electronics store and buy an attenuator for around $10. Plug it in between the STB antenna input and the antenna wall socket.

The only other possibility is too much reflected signals. Use a high gain (lots of dBs) band 4 antenna and the attenuator above.

Alanh

Thanks Alan, I'll try the cheaper option first :blink:

#7 mikeyc101

mikeyc101

AV Forum Member

• 63 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:32 AM

HI all i live in hamersley and cannot get abc anymore i used to get it but have been unable to lock it into my set top box for about 3 weeks, has anyone else got this prob and how can i fix it?

#8 mike_s_perth

mike_s_perth

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

If you are in one of the following suburbs;
(...) Warwick (...) and having reception problems. Please post in this strand.

that's me!

i'm in warwick and i have a topfield 5000pvrt. i have the following setup:

1. couple-of-years-old, large hills antenna mounted above my roof. not sure of model number but it is appox 2m wide at the back, receives ABC analogue (i.e. is not a 3/4 band only antenna) and has combined uhf collector
2. long (20m) run of RG6 quad shield to the topfield, with a passive F-connect splitter behind the topfield (it has two tuners)
3. body of splitter (i.e. the braid of the RG6) is earthed to my house's power system's earth, on the advice of some guys in the topfield forum (doesn't seem to solve my problem though)
4. two other TVs in the house that don't have the antenna hooked up yet - i would like them to.

reception is generally very good except i get audio dropouts (sometimes with pixellation) intermittently. this happens with light switches turned on and off, microwave door opening/closing, turning ceiling fan on etc. it drives me mad!!

i would like to get rid of the audio dropouts and provide my other TVs with decent signals. i bought a kingray SAM204 yesterday in a fit of desperate weakness but i'm not sure it was the right thing to do now. after doing a fair bit of reading on this site i have come up with the following possibilities:

1. fit SAM204 at antenna, run RG6 to other TVs, and buy fl3bpmh band pass filter to put on one outlet (the outlet going to my topfield, as all my other TVs are analogue).
2. buy new antenna as per recommendations on this site for digital TV and use this for topfield only, then fit SAM204 to old antenna to service the other TVs.
3. get rid of SAM204 (this post suggests it's not great since it is wideband: http://www.dtvforum....hp/t38879.html). Then maybe get a Kingray MDA20H or MDA20U for the cable run to the topfield.

i am a bit confused as to what's the best thing to do. i could buy a cheap STB for the other TVs if going all-digital is a by-product of fixing the audio dropouts.

i wasn't sure if i should have posted inside this thread, hope this is OK. let me know if i've screwed up.

thanks everyone!

p.s. One more question: is it possible to get the fl3bpmh to reject all signals below 174 MHz? the data sheet says it passes VLF 44-107, but if you set the switches properly you can get it to reject the VLF, right?

HI all i live in hamersley and cannot get abc anymore i used to get it but have been unable to lock it into my set top box for about 3 weeks, has anyone else got this prob and how can i fix it?

i am in warwick and i have not had that problem. not sure if this helps you much though :-(

#9 gclark8

gclark8

AV Forum Member

• 3,263 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

Get Nic! http://www.crystalcl...au/specials.htm

Fracarro rules! :blink:

#10 MINTYGREEN

MINTYGREEN

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:59 AM

I'm in Inglewood, and havent been able to receieve SBS since "topgears" season finished.

I use to be able to receive sbs but over a couple of months the signal strength has dropped till now i have nothing..... :blink:

I have a teac dv-400 stb and its signal meter reads 95-100% for all channels (not sbs) and signal quality at 75-95%, sbs however is nil, which i find suprising as it comes from the ABC tower in bickley.

What to do?
would adding a high gain uhf antenna for sbs work?

#11 gclark8

gclark8

AV Forum Member

• 3,263 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

I'm in Inglewood, and havent been able to receieve SBS since "topgears" season finished.

I use to be able to receive sbs but over a couple of months the signal strength has dropped till now i have nothing..... :blink:

I have a teac dv-400 stb and its signal meter reads 95-100% for all channels (not sbs) and signal quality at 75-95%, sbs however is nil, which i find suprising as it comes from the ABC tower in bickley.

What to do?
would adding a high gain uhf antenna for sbs work?

Call Nic from Northside! http://www.crystalcl...au/specials.htm

Fracarro LP34HV will do nicely. :D

#12 MINTYGREEN

MINTYGREEN

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

Call Nic from Northside! http://www.crystalcl...au/specials.htm

Fracarro LP34HV will do nicely. :blink:

I already paid Mr Antennaman $175, 2 years ago, I rather not pay Northside $175 for another antenna (even if he is a nice bloke), if a $50 Jaycar high gain UHF will do the job.

What gets me is why my SBS signal faded away?

#13 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:04 PM

MINTYGREEN,
You could add a band 4 antenna pointed at Bickley. Connect it via a UV diplexer. The band 4 antenna into the U input and your existing antenna in the V input. Use the link in my pinned post to find an antenna. Antenna spacing is discussed in the link of Antenna Basics.

AlanH

#14 MINTYGREEN

MINTYGREEN

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

AlanH,

Thanks for the info, I've started reading though your Antenna basics thread.

sorry for another daft question, In your Aust. TV channel allocations guide you recommend a Band 4+ (band 4/5?) for Perth, Bickley & Carmel.
should i grab a Band 4 or band 4/5 antenna? is there a difference for SBS reception?

Thanks again

#15 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:24 AM

MintyGreen,
There will be no band 5 stations in Perth. The only exception is a set in Rolystone which service the southern suburbs. See the map link. In that case a band 5 antenna is all that is needed.

A band 4/5 antenna is less sensitive than a band 4 antenna for band 4 channels.

AlanH

#16 MINTYGREEN

MINTYGREEN

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Hi Alanh,

Thanks for your help, I've got SBS back! I didn't get as far as antenna/diplexer sugestion.

Following your RF looping setup guide, i discovered that when the tv is looped in i get no sbs... no rf into tv and sbs returns!

The only downside with SBS now is the frequent pixelation and sound pops.

#17 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

Mintygreen,
I suspect you do not have enough signal. Check the installation menu on your receiver.

It is also possible you have a faulty flylead which is connecting between the STB and the antenna in of the receiver

AlanH

#18 MINTYGREEN

MINTYGREEN

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

Hi Alanh,

the teac stb is showing 95-100% signal strength and since disconnecting the tv rf, all channels are up in the 95% mark. whether to trust its accuracy, well..dunno

It could be the flylead, i hacked it myself with twist on f type connectors.
I believe my location may be the problem, im on a corner block (car electrical interference), have a power pole with a street light 9m from the antenna, with power lines down two sides of the house.

I think i should pickup some belden quad screened coax and replace the old cable. Do you think thats the right thing to do?

#19 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Mintygreen,
Go and buy a flylead with the correct connectors on it. eg @ Altronics in Roe St Perth.

As for power line interference, check whether the problem is worse when the air is damp, particularly at the end of summer.

Power lines and cars give impulse interference, so read Antenna Design Basics + Amplification, Terms and comparison of types

AlanH

#20 trisreed

trisreed

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Help! The complete opposite is happening to me!

I'm in Innaloo and am trying to pick up TV on my computer using a Pinnacle PCTV USB stick. Tried both the included monopole and a $70 DSE Digital Antenna but can only pick up SBS (when the antenna is positioned awkwardly). Digital comes through OK on my main TV (connected to a roof antenna), and on the stick when connected to the aerial. The point is I don't want to connect to the roof aerial (if possible) as I wish to move this computer around sometimes and already have enough cables and ports.

#21 Paul383

Paul383

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:47 PM

I live in Warwick and also have audio drop outs especially bad when the dishwasher is on and light switches turned on or off. I have a LG 5100p HD set top box and have seen alot of other people with the same box having the same problems on this forum. The signal on the LG is telling me it's good and I also have a DIVCO digital tuner card for my PC that tells me the signal is 93%. I have a perfect picture on all channels and when I had analog on my old TV the picture was perfect so I don't think signal is a problem.

I have a 4 way splitter in the roof and all the cabling is RG6 Quad shield. I put an attentuator on the cable coming from the aerial to see if a lower signal would work but still I have audio drop outs. With the attentuator I still have a perfect picture. I also went and brought a surge protector board with a filter that apparently filters the power to give you cleaner power that hasn't worked either. My aerial looks old but haven't changed it yet because of the great picture I got on analog and also on the digital channels, could this be the problem?

Maybe I have a power problem in the house? Or maybe I try changing the position of the aerial on the roof. Am I getting interference from overhead power lines outside? Any help would be appreciated.

#22 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:42 AM

Paul,
This is called impulse interference

Read Get the Best Reception, Perth and read the links.

Read Antenna Design Basics + Amplification, Terms and comparison of types

AlanH

#23 boyrock

boyrock

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:02 PM

I'm living _between_ NEW 10 & and the other antennas - signal is fine (as you can imagine since I'm so close) , but for HDTV what is the best solution? a rotator (prefer not) or multiple low gain antennas feeding one link, or something else?

Thanks

#24 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,649 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:08 PM

boyrock,
Can you get reception from the Rollystone translators?

AlanH

#25 Strahan

Strahan

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:21 PM

Hi all, my wife and i live near East St in Fremantle. We has massive interferance problems in the evening which wiped out SBS,9 and 10. 7 and 2 were usually ok.
I got a STB today (Strong 5006) in the hope for improvement. But as the evening came around 9 went altogether, 10 was scratchy and 7 was unaffected.
There is a massive antenna on the roof pointed towards the west.
Up the road in Swanbourne st I have seen a cell tower and also something else which I think is to do with the water police. Could this be the source of my problems? It does not happen at regular times but seems more evident at night.
Big lines thru screen and then the audio goes.
Any help most apprecieated!
:blink: