• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#326 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,559 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

pat face,
Have you tried picking up the Adelaide foothills translators in Grenfell St City? You also could try the ABC/SBS translators in Elizabeth, however the antenna has to be on its side. Try the Jaycar model I recommended in my Indoor antenna post. Remember at UHF it is much more directional.

You will have to do a full scan of channels on each try.

AlanH

#327 dallaz

dallaz

DTV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:41 AM

Can anyone please explain why this might be happening...

I get perfect, flawless reception for all the ABC channels (1,2,HD,radio), with Signal Quality 85-99 and Signal Strength 99 constantly. However I can't pick up any other channels, at all.

I'm using bunny ears, Radio Shack ones with a knob on the base which seems to adjust the reception somehow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#328 alanh

alanh

DTV Forums Master

• 12,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

dallaz,
Firstly is there a power pack which plugs into the antenna for its amplifier. If so turn the knob anticlockwise and rescan for channels.

Also read the first post in this strand. There are a number of translators around Adelaide. One may be near you? Use the transmitter link to give you the list and the antenna group.

You can also click on coverage areas for the maps.

Now click on the indoor antenna link for more advice.

If that does not solve your problem, then post with your location, type and brand of receiver and whether you are in a house or a multistory building.

AlanH

#329 thezone525

thezone525

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you on such a very informative thread. I have read thru the begining and followed the links.

I live in Panorama way up on the hill facing the city directly. I have a clear line of site to the cbd and I have installed one of these antenna from Jaycar which is according to your links is suitable for my location. I have it pointing driectly at the black stump in grenfell st.

Unfortunately the channels are still hit and miss especially when the weather is inclement. Today its channel 7 that is pixelating. Some days It's 9.

Do you think that I might need a masthead amplifier? I dont want to call some guy who will sell me a new antenna that I dont need. I dont mind calling somone but it would be nice to think they were honest about what I might need.

Hope you can help me.

Paul

#330 M'bozo

M'bozo

DTV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hope you can help me.

That antenna should be fine, providing it is mounted in the correct location, at the correct height, and all cabling & connections are industry standard.

Can you actually see the CBD from your location, or are there buildings/vegetation between the antenna, and where it is aimed at.

Is your PVR/TV tuned to the correct channels? Your antenna could be picking up Mt Lofty signals from the side, and your devices storing the available channels incorrectly, when doing an auto tune.

The best way to check this is not the case, would be to clear the channels from your reception devices (auto tune with antenna lead disconnected, power device off, plug antenna lead in, turn device back on), and then manually search for channels 54 (TEN), 57 (SEVEN), 61 (SBS), 64 (ABC), and 66 (NINE)

Without baseline signal measurements, my comments are a guide only.

#331 mtv

mtv

DTV Forums Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

It's also possible at that distance, your signals are too strong with that antenna, causing tuner overload.

If that's the case, an amplifier would make the problem worse.

If signal overload is happening, you need to attenuate the signals, not amplify them.

Without having accurate signal measurements, it's impossible to know exactly what your signals are doing and what to recommend.

#332 thezone525

thezone525

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

The best way to check this is not the case, would be to clear the channels from your reception devices (auto tune with antenna lead disconnected, power device off, plug antenna lead in, turn device back on), and then manually search for channels 54 (TEN), 57 (SEVEN), 61 (SBS), 64 (ABC), and 66 (NINE)

Without baseline signal measurements, my comments are a guide only.

Thanks M'bozo I will gove this a try.

It's also possible at that distance, your signals are too strong with that antenna, causing tuner overload.

If that's the case, an amplifier would make the problem worse.

If signal overload is happening, you need to attenuate the signals, not amplify them.

Without having accurate signal measurements, it's impossible to know exactly what your signals are doing and what to recommend.

I guess its not possible to measure this without a professional?

#333 thezone525

thezone525

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried this but it did not give any different results than an auto scan. There is no ch 10 now.

#334 M'bozo

M'bozo

DTV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

Your signature indicates you have a Panasonic Plasma.

You can get the Signal Information screen up on this under the tuning menu, and analyse the reception indicators for the channels I mentioned before.

If everything is correct, both these should indicate 10.

If, as mtv suggests, you have too much signal, it is unlikely this what will display.

Additionally, if your signal is substandard, the same comment applies.

If you have too much signal, a quick and dirty trick is to slightly mis-align your antenna to see if conditions improve.

The type of antenna you are using has a sharp focus, so you may only need to change its direction by 5-10 degrees.

#335 thezone525

thezone525

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

Your signature indicates you have a Panasonic Plasma.

You can get the Signal Information screen up on this under the tuning menu, and analyse the reception indicators for the channels I mentioned before.

If everything is correct, both these should indicate 10.

If, as mtv suggests, you have too much signal, it is unlikely this what will display.

Additionally, if your signal is substandard, the same comment applies.

If you have too much signal, a quick and dirty trick is to slightly mis-align your antenna to see if conditions improve.

The type of antenna you are using has a sharp focus, so you may only need to change its direction by 5-10 degrees.

Thanks. I am using my topfield pvr for digital reception. I woke up this morning and tried to manually tune 10 and they all showed up! Could be the weather as it cleared up (last night was raining) but this is not a consistent thing its an ongoing thing, sometimes the channells are there for weeks and then 1 or 2 will drop out. I will refer back to this thread and follow your advice omce again if it happens.

Thanks for your time!

#336 gregmacc

gregmacc

DTV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi all ... first post :) ... We have just purchased a 40" Samsung Series 6 LED TV. It's our first digital, a monumental step up from our old LG CRT.
We have hooked up the Samsung to the existing antenna and Panasonic DVD HDD recorder. We had some initial setup/connection issues (due largely to our technical ineptitude) but generally speaking everything seems to be working OK ... Except for some intermittent loss of all the SBS channels. I initially thought it coincided with last week's bleak weather but the issue continued through yesterday which was relatively calm and sunny. We are at Aberfoyle Park ... in the "green" good reception zone. Our antenna is atop a 1.5 metre pole which protrudes through the tiled roofline at it's highest point. It is aligned in the direction suggested on the My Switch website map. Looking at the PDF diagrams provided by AlanH ours most resembles the one at the top of the page ... although it has 7 of the small elements at the front instead of 4.

Our old Panasonic DVD recorder is equipped with a digital/analogue TV receiver and over the past few years we have been able to successfully watch digital TV using this setup in combination with the old CRT TV (although not HD broadcasts). I'm guessing the antenna might need to be changed although I vaguely remember it being "digital ready" at purchase. Any ideas or suggestions?
Cheers
Greg

#337 M'bozo

M'bozo

DTV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Any ideas or suggestions?

Without accurate signal measurements at your property it's difficult to advise.

How long ago was the antenna installed?

How many TV points is it feeding?

Do you know if you have an amplifier in the system?

Can you post a picture of the antenna?

What is the reception of Adelaide 44 like?

Does SBS SD on the Panasonic recorder break up as well?

It may be helpful to get into the signal information screen of the Samsung, and check the readings for SBS and one of the other channels that doesn't break up, for comparative purposes.

I find problems such as you experience are sometimes caused by poor quality flyleads, and changing them to quadshield coax with crimp/compression connectors can solve the issue.

Is the television connected via the recorder, and if so, does SBS on the TV break up if the TV is connected direct to the wall outlet, bypassing the recorder?

Lots of questions, the more information supplied, the easier it may be to assist.

Marc.

#338 gregmacc

gregmacc

DTV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Marc ...

The antenna was installed 10 years ago (by me) ... can't remember where I got it from ... probably Hills.

4 T.V. points (but only 2 connected).

No amplifier.

Adelaide 44 is O.K.

SBS has been dropping out today but O.K. presently ... I will check the recorder next time I get a drop-out.

I can't seem to find a signal strength screen on the Samsung.

Don't know what you mean by "flyleads" and "quadshield coax"

T.V. is connected via the recorder (didn't know there was an alternative - doesn't it have to be like that to record T.V. broadcasts?).

I have tried a direct connection of antenna to T.V. and SBS still drops out.

Not too many questions as far as I'm concerned ... I need all the help I can get ... I appreciate the timely response

www.flickr.com/photos/gregmacc/7465280122/in/photostream

Cheers,
Greg

#339 M'bozo

M'bozo

DTV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

G'day Greg,

The antenna's not a good look, it may not be helping.

I'll be over your way Sunday morning, quite happy to call in & give a free appraisal.

(Over here picking up a 4x4, just killing time till I go back Tuesday. Don't have any test gear, came by Virgin, cheap as.)

Let me know if you're interested, I'll flash you a contact number.

Cheers,
Marc.

#340 gregmacc

gregmacc

DTV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Sounds good Marc ... I have a basic analogue multimeter ... Dick Smith from about 20 years ago ...
And I can brew a decent plunger coffee :)
Cheers,
Greg

#341 M'bozo

M'bozo

DTV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

OK.

Edited by M'bozo, 29 June 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#342 peterx48

peterx48

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Sorry but I can't see where else to post my question. Since the other day when the channels changed I have re-scanned the TV and the set top box ( topfield pvr) a couple of times and as far as that is concerned everything seems good. I don't have a HD PVR so I have to carefully check I have the correct channels set for recording programs. This I have done a number of times. But while the programs are fine to view on the TV the recorded programs for these same channnels always have pixelation, sometimes the recording is blank, and somtimes the recording also simply says it is a HDTV channel, although, as I say, I have been thoroughly checking that when I select a program to record it is the channel i can receive through the non-HD PVR. This has only been occurring over the last few days since the change. I live in Elizabeth Park. Northern suburbs, Adelaide. What is the problem?

#343 M'bozo

M'bozo

DTV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

I live in Elizabeth Park. Northern suburbs, Adelaide. What is the problem?

I don't know, without being on the ground to take measurements.

A couple of things come to mind.

Your Topfield has gone faulty (as they do) and has had a dummy spit when you retuned it.

The other, and I think more likely issue, is it has tuned to incorrect channels. Your digital signals can come from Mt Lofty or Craigmore where you are, and it is possible the Topfield has tuned to the wrong transmitter.

From where do your signals come or, putting it another way, which direction is your antenna pointing? I am assuming an externally roof mounted antenna for the purpose of my comments.

If you are able, and know which transmitter your signals arrive from, if you haven't done so already, it may better to do a manual tune on the Topfield for your transmitter of choice.

[Well might you ask why the TV is not affected. That can depend on a number of things.

Since you have not mentioned the model of TV, I will assume it is one that can differentiate between the quality of received signals, & will only store the ones with the lowest (and hence best quality) error rate.]

#344 Ron12

Ron12

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Sorry but I can't see where else to post my question. Since the other day when the channels changed I have re-scanned the TV and the set top box ( topfield pvr) a couple of times and as far as that is concerned everything seems good. I don't have a HD PVR so I have to carefully check I have the correct channels set for recording programs. This I have done a number of times. But while the programs are fine to view on the TV the recorded programs for these same channnels always have pixelation, sometimes the recording is blank, and somtimes the recording also simply says it is a HDTV channel, although, as I say, I have been thoroughly checking that when I select a program to record it is the channel i can receive through the non-HD PVR. This has only been occurring over the last few days since the change. I live in Elizabeth Park. Northern suburbs, Adelaide. What is the problem?

One of the things you could do is go through the list of channels in your Topfield and make sure they match the current list of channels (including names and numbersA) and that SD or HD also match. Over the years, some of the extra channel numbers that were for HD channels are now for SD channels or vice versa or the number has changed altogether or disapeared. For example:
- 1 used to be Ten Digital (SD) and is now One HD,
- 20 used to be ABC HD, now called ABC News 24 and it's on 24,
- 21 used to be ABC2 and 22 was a duplicate of ABC1 (both SD), now these are reversed,
- 31 used to be a duplicate of SBS 1 and 33 was SBS News, now 31 is unused, SBS 2 (successor of SBS News) is on 32 and 33 is a duplicate of SBS One,
- 70 used to be Seven HD and 73 was an SD duplicate of 7, but now 70 is an SD duplicate of Seven Digital and 73 is 7Mate HD.

Could the pixilation be because you are recording at a lower bitrate than the received picture? I know you can set the recording quality on DVD recorders, not sure about PVRs as I don't have one.

#345 peterx48

peterx48

DTV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for responses. I took some basic steps I had read, turned off PVR and scanned without aerial. Then in the process of reconnecting and intending to set up again, I found there was no need to rescan the PVR, and the PVR is apparently taking the tuning from the TV (Samsung). Now there is no problem, the PVR records ok, the component viewing (from PVR) on the TV is ok, all of which is a surprise to me, since unlike before, I have not actually rescanned any channels via the PVR. But maybe this is now normal, I don't know.

#346 Aikhme

Aikhme

DTV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

I am very interested in Antenna design.

It is just fascinating how these things work and nothing short of black magic as they say.

I have a Hills 350 on my roof which is H34+. I wish to modify this antenna by taking the big rods off from the back and replacing them with the correct size to convert the antenna from H34+ to H34.

I just wish to do this for fun really and to learn.

I am presuming that Hills will sell me the parts, in the correct size (length) and then it is a case of opening the Clam Shell and replace the filaments with the right ones.

Can anyone give me some adice as to which filaments will need to be replaced. I presume the 2 big ones at the back of the array need to go and should be replaced. What size will I need?

Any tips and advice?

I have been scanning the internet, but there is not a lot of good information out there.

#347 ThomesWillson

ThomesWillson

DTV Forums Member

• 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Buddy, I will try it too.