Get The Best Reception - Adelaide

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#301 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

They have an old Grundig DTR 2420 STB that recieves all Digital channels except ABC 24.
Does anyone have any idea what the lack of reception issue may be?

pug504

An excellent question.

One that is easily answered.

Grundig DTR 2420 is SD only.

ABC24 is HD

ergo, no cigar.

Enjoy your stay in Adelaide.

Cheers,
Marc.

Do a factory reset then a channel scan.

Can you get SBS HD, OneHD now?

Oh dear :wacko:

#302 Tech-NoLogic-Al

Tech-NoLogic-Al

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

pug504

An excellent question.

ABC24 is HD

ergo, no cigar.

Cheers,
Marc.

Right. I'll get the hang of this in time. First post-but not first visit. The site has been a boon!

I am immensely grateful for ALL the help here-and in particular AlanH (who is as fallible as the rest of us?)-but has consistently helped others here for several years. Thank-you.

Jim's A told this oldie that HDTV will not work with an internal aerial, (the lounge DTV is plugged into the roof antenna). I got a quote to extend that to cover the soon to be purchased bedroom set....

I am in North Adelaide. I have a tiny home and matching budget. As with the lounge TV. I shall buy a 21/22" screen to fit the room.

I want an internal antenna, because this TV will have far less use. North Adelaide: is it feasible? Any recommendations?

Such a forum is a massive assistance to one and all. I am sick and tired of getting advice that financially benefits the person who is giving it.

I want an unbiased opinion. Thanks.

AND: Can you post without it having to be a reply? I have 'replied' to you 'M'bozo' because I could not see any other way?

#303 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Can you post without it having to be a reply? I have 'replied' to you 'M'bozo' because I could not see any other way?

You can't start a new thread with less than 5 posts.

See how to get your post count up in the red text below in my sig.

#304 Tech-NoLogic-Al

Tech-NoLogic-Al

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks mtv. All done.

#305 pug504

pug504

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

pug504

An excellent question.

ABC24 is HD

ergo, no cigar.

Cheers,
Marc.

Thanks All.
The Grundig really is a piece of junk now. It did have a Scart cable connected to it by ETSA from the start, so Im informed by the owners...(inlaws).

We did go to JB and buy a new HD STB today for the princely sum of $79. It should match the lifecycle of the TV that its mated to now. When they upgrade the TV the STB may be useless.

Thanks DTV - you helped me with my HDTV purchase and now diagnosing this issue.

Ian.

#306 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

It did have a Scart cable connected to it by ETSA from the start, so Im informed by the owners...(inlaws).

ETSA - that's curious :) (reckon the message got lost in translation)

At least you got it sorted!

#307 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Tech-NoLogic-Al,
At North Adelaide there is a couple of options which can be seen from the first post in this strand
* The main Adelaide transmitters on Mt Lofty. Transmissions are in H3 and H4. Depending on your location the high rise city buildings may cause a problem

* The translators at 25 Grenfell St City where you will get a weaker signal than normal because you are at the edge of the coverage area. These transmissions are H5.

So go to the first post in this strand and click on the Indoor antenna link and purchase the recommended antenna which contains an amplifier. Make sure the extnable rods are fully retracted and vertical. Now point the antenna at 25 Grenfell St and get the receiver to do a channel scan. Let the scan fully complete because the channels you want will be found just before the end.

If the signal is insufficent then set the antenna up for the H3 instructions and use Mt Lofty.

AlanH

#308 Tech-NoLogic-Al

Tech-NoLogic-Al

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Tech-NoLogic-Al,
At North Adelaide there is a couple of options which can be seen from the first post in this strand
* The main Adelaide transmitters on Mt Lofty. Transmissions are in H3 and H4. Depending on your location the high rise city buildings may cause a problem

* The translators at 25 Grenfell St City where you will get a weaker signal than normal because you are at the edge of the coverage area. These transmissions are H5.

So go to the first post in this strand and click on the Indoor antenna link and purchase the recommended antenna which contains an amplifier. Make sure the extnable rods are fully retracted and vertical. Now point the antenna at 25 Grenfell St and get the receiver to do a channel scan. Let the scan fully complete because the channels you want will be found just before the end.

If the signal is insufficent then set the antenna up for the H3 instructions and use Mt Lofty.

AlanH

Thanks very much for this AlanH! I shall read it carefully again, to get it to sink in-and proceed with caution. Without technological knowledge it is all too easy to get ripped off! :huh:

Thanks again!

#309 davidlaw

davidlaw

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a house in Kilkenny on Torrens Rd.

I have a 2 x DTV's and an old antenna, I wish to buy a new antenna but am unsure as which would best suit my needs.

The cables are already new and have f connections.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

#310 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

David,

A Hills Spectramax SMX14B4+ (Part number FB608530) should be suitable.

click

Presumably you are on the south-western side of Torrens Road and don't have any buildings higher than yours blocking the path to Mount Lofty.

(Brings back memories - lived in Wilpena Terrace in the 1950's - must be time to give this trade away :) )

Marc.

#311 wot-eva

wot-eva

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Is ACE Community TV UHF CH31 available on DTV yet ?? was told by a friend that he heard it was on channel 44, but I did a scan and got nothing.
Anyone here got any more info about it.

#312 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

wot-eva,
Click on here

AlanH

#313 Whynot0

Whynot0

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Getting some quotes for somebody to look at my digital reception problems in Hillbank.
What type of questions should I ask them to have some sense that they know their stuff?
I have an old analogue antenna (so it will need replacing), plus there was a powered booster plugged into the wall...
The reception has never been any good despite numerous call outs over the years.
I'm sure that with the new transmitter at craigmore and new cabling/antenna it should improve significantly.
Basically all digital channels show but almost all freeze after awhile, some worse than others.

PS
Any recommended installers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

#314 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

Whynot0
Your existing antenna needs to be replaced by a UHF phased array mounted with its longest side horizontal. You should not need an amplifier if you can see Unly Rd Elizabeth Downs.

AlanH

#315 Whynot0

Whynot0

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

Whynot0
Your existing antenna needs to be replaced by a UHF phased array mounted with its longest side horizontal. You should not need an amplifier if you can see Unly Rd Elizabeth Downs.

AlanH

Thanks for the quick response !

Any particular model of a "UHF phased array" ? - is this ok for digital because that is all I need it for.
What about cabling, amplifier and the power adaptor (GME Kingray PSK08A - Power Injector) is this just the power supply for the amplifier ?
How high can the antenna be mounted because there is a 2 story house next door...in the direct path..

Edited by Whynot0, 03 November 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#316 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Whatnot0,
The transmitter list says V4+. so in the first post click on that link to give you the manufacturer's websites.
Hills is made in Adelaide so you could get their address off their website.
Message me your address and I will see if there is anything else in the way. (I do not live in Adelaide)
The Kingray PSK08 is not an amplifier but applies power to the antenna cable. The amplifier is under the existing antenna. If you remove the amplifier you must remove the PSK08.

AlanH

#317 Foma2

Foma2

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

I live in Evandale, so I pick signal from Mount Lofty. At the moment I have an indoor antenna, which is struggling to get good signal for my TV set. I want to have an outdoor antenna installed on the roof of my single story house, but there I am a bit concerned about new redevelopment next to my house. According to redevelopment plans, they'll build double story houses, which, most likely will screen my outdoor antenna from Mt Lofty transmitter. It is difficult to figure out what is the best position for the outdoor antenna on the roof in terms of signal reception, as the drawings and my house location cannot be aligned properly. And after all the developer may change their plans as well.
I could wait a bit longer till new houses built and then have my outdoor tv antenna installed but it looks like the developer is not too quick so it may take another two years or so before they start. So I do not really want to wait for so long.

What would you suggest ? My understanding is that I do not have any legal power to make them pay for my outdoor antenna reinstalled if I loose reception once the new double story houses have been built.

Note: Adelaide CBD transmitter is not an option as I hardly can get any signal from there.

#318 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

Note: Adelaide CBD transmitter is not an option as I hardly can get any signal from there.

Shouldn't be a problem with an outside antenna, if there is nothing between your house & Grenfell Centre.

Edited by M'bozo, 10 November 2010 - 05:23 PM.

#319 Foma2

Foma2

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

Shouldn't be a problem with an outside antenna, if there is nothing between your house & Grenfell Centre.

Unfortunately, it is not an option as I have a few big olive trees on the adjecent property blocking tv signal from there.

#320 Tech-NoLogic-Al

Tech-NoLogic-Al

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

I have a small budget/house. So I bought a Nu-Tec LCD LED TV that was on offer in Coles for $276.

A franchisee installer did a test......? and installed. It was reasonable at first, but got worse!

(I went and brought another prior to the problems, it was still in its box after 3 weeks!)

The TV needed somehow to warm up before I got any reasonable signal, (North Adelaide-line of sight to Mt L). Braking-up/'chirping' losing channels ( I could not get ABC at all for the last 48hours).

That all changed this morning.

I contacted Marsden Antennas after seeing a recomm on another tech' site.

These two guys knew exactly what they were doing! They tried to retain my current 15 yo antenna, but close inspection showed a rusted and very amateurish connection that had let water in!(They showed it to me!)

I got: a new antenna/( cabling to the lounge was also faulty!! signal strength was poor)/ a new antenna point in a better location/ new antenna point in the bedroom/ and unpack-installation-test of that set as well: $275!

What I learned from this is that you can't cut corners. It is WAY better to find experienced professionals.

I have NO connection (no pun intended!!) with Marsdens. I took a punt that they were good;-and they were. They showed me read-outs, and kept me 'in the loop' all the way through.

As a Senior and a pensioner I cannot afford to squander money. Who can?

ANY good service professional deserves word of mouth recommendation. That is why I am relating this.

I hope all remains well!!, but the difference between the two companies was chasmic!!!

And one more thing: I DID manage to get ACE on 44 very clearly. Marsdens explained why. ACE (C31) went over to a digital signal on C44 last week!

Edited by Tech-NoLogic-Al, 17 November 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#321 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

I have a small budget/house. So I bought a Nu-Tec LCD LED TV that was on offer in Coles for $276.

A franchisee installer did a test......? and installed. It was reasonable at first, but got worse!

(I went and brought another prior to the problems, it was still in its box after 3 weeks!)

The TV needed somehow to warm up before I got any reasonable signal, (North Adelaide-line of sight to Mt L). Braking-up/'chirping' losing channels ( I could not get ABC at all for the last 48hours).

That all changed this morning.

I contacted Marsden Antennas after seeing a recomm on another tech' site.

These two guys knew exactly what they were doing! They tried to retain my current 15 yo antenna, but close inspection showed a rusted and very amateurish connection that had let water in!(They showed it to me!)

I got: a new antenna/( cabling to the lounge was also faulty!! signal strength was poor)/ a new antenna point in a better location/ new antenna point in the bedroom/ and unpack-installation-test of that set as well: $275!

What I learned from this is that you can't cut corners. It is WAY better to find experienced professionals.

I have NO connection (no pun intended!!) with Marsdens. I took a punt that they were good;-and they were. They showed me read-outs, and kept me 'in the loop' all the way through.

As a Senior and a pensioner I cannot afford to squander money. Who can?

ANY good service professional deserves word of mouth recommendation. That is why I am relating this.

I hope all remains well!!, but the difference between the two companies was chasmic!!!

And one more thing: I DID manage to get ACE on 44 very clearly. Marsdens explained why. ACE (C31) went over to a digital signal on C44 last week!

Good to hear your reception problems were solved and good advice for anyone considering having antennas & associated work performed.

Unfortunately, just because a person installs antennas for a living (eg: a 'professional') doesn't mean they actually know what they are doing and that they provide quality work.

This is all-too-common with many franchise-type antenna installers.

In fairness, some are ok, but others are very poor. It can be pure luck which one you get on the day!

#322 Tech-NoLogic-Al

Tech-NoLogic-Al

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

Good to hear your reception problems were solved and good advice for anyone considering having antennas & associated work performed.

Unfortunately, just because a person installs antennas for a living (eg: a 'professional') doesn't mean they actually know what they are doing and that they provide quality work.

This is all-too-common with many franchise-type antenna installers.

In fairness, some are ok, but others are very poor. It can be pure luck which one you get on the day!

That's true MTV.

I was in a franchise car repair place for re-gassing of my air-con. The group has a bad name in SA, but that branch is very good, and seems embarrassed by the reputation of the whole.

The irony is that when I was in there some months ago, a fella was there fixing the TV in their wait room. He was from a well-known TV antenna franchise. I took his business card.......and the rest as they say;-is history!! B)

#323 vnbozza

vnbozza

AV Forum Member

• 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hi All

Was wondering which antenna I should buy.

I live on the beach side of the railway line at Hallett Cove in a valley, so recepetion is poor.

My original 20 year old antenna was on a 15 ft pole, and analogue TV was hit and miss, digital was perfect apart from the ocassional drop out from channel 10 and one.

I am hoping to get away with a eave mounted new digital antenna with a mast head amplifier (the big pole with all the guy wires was a real eye sore, but will revert to it if required).

So any recommendations on Make and Models of antennas and or amplifiers?

Thanks in Advance

Edited by vnbozza, 11 February 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#324 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,650 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

vnbozza,

There is a designed for digital list of recommended antennas in the first post in this strand. You will have to look at the transmitter list first to find out if there is a more appropriate translator than the main transmitters on Mt Lofty.

There is a link to a list of recommended models which are links to the manufacturers' websites.

If you do not wish to use the guyed mast then you need to get an antenna installer to measure the digital signal strength and error rates. The guyed mast also should be inspected for safety and it is also likely that your cable should be replaced, because of all the time its been in the weather.

AlanH

#325 pat face

pat face

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi All,

I am located in North Adelaide

I get intermittent digital reception, sadly though i am renting a place and so am not able to install a external antenna, i understand from reading that indoor antennas are pretty much last resort for digital, however i think that im at this stage. To compound this problem the place im in is solid stone and the roof is corrugated iron.

I have noticed Jaycar have an indoor outdoor 10dBi antenna, that does 40dBi if you use power injector, would this rectify my problem?

Thanks