Get The Best Reception - Adelaide

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,599 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:48 PM

Edited by alanh, 25 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#2 Groover !

Groover !

AV Forum Member

• 3,917 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info Alanh youve just saved me a heap of time.

Cheers Angelo

#3 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Alanh,

Im in the northern suburbs of adelaide, and can physically see the main (mt.lofty) tower from my roof.

Im currently getting lots of induction noise (light switches), my signal strength reported by my DTV Cards are approx 90% strength and 92% quality.

My antenna is located in my roof cavity and is just laying on the insulation, which im sure is not the greatest idea - but seems to work okish :blink:

I note your post recommends the Hills SMX14 or 24, or the fracarro LP34HV Band 3 - I only care about Digital TV and want the best signal possible. Which of your recommended antenna's would suit my needs? (I also note there are some 'new' antennas on the hills website, trumatch, optimax and digetel - how do these compare) ?

Cheers,
Bitey

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:36 AM

Mr Bitey,
Look at the range and see if they are designed to receive any channels below channel 6. If so they are not suitable.

Most of the changes are for the longevity of the antenna.

AlanH

#5 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:39 AM

Mr Bitey,
Look at the range and see if they are designed to receive any channels below channel 6. If so they are not suitable.

Most of the changes are for the longevity of the antenna.

AlanH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks AlanH,

I will try to find a reseller!

Is the difference between the SMX14 and 24 being that the 24 will give a stronger signal due to more elements?

Regards,
Bitey

#6 sold

sold

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:50 AM

Hi

My reception (both digital and anlogue) went from pretty much perfect to terrible a couple of days ago. It was happening on all the TV's in the house so I checked out the splitter in the roof and the cabling from the splitter to the antenna and it all appears fine. I then got up on the roof to check the connection to the antenna where I found the PCB in the pictures below which connects the cable to the actual antenna.

Bottom Pic

Top Pic

Then using the continuity test on my multimeter it told me that it was all good from point A (where it screws to the anttena) to point D. However I had nothing from point B (the other point where it screws to the antenna) to point C.

Now I'm assuming that point B and C should be connected...If so how would I go about fixing it? Can I just solder a piece of wire from B to C and if I did this do I need to keep the length the same as the copper trace from A to D? Or do I need to find a new PCB?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as this is not really my area of expertise.

AlanH: To answer some of your questions;

I am in Aldgate aprox 7km from the mount lofty towers which I can see from my roof (where the antenna is).

The antenna is about 3-4years old but I have no idea what brand it is. I'll get up on the roof again tomorrow and have a better look at it and see if I can find anything to tell me.

I'd rather not buy a whole new antenna except as a last resort as I don't think there is anything wrong with it beyond the PCB as up until a couple of days ago the reception was perfect.

#7 darulezy

darulezy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

Looking at the back of the PCB I would be convinced you have no connection between A and D.

But you state otherwise.

The connection between B and C looks ok, but you say this is open circuit?

The track from A to D looks burnt and scratched, is your antenna earthed? possible Earthing problem there.

Cheapest option is to fix it, find the open circuit using some back lighting and a magnifying lens if required, scrape off the conformal coating (green stuff) and solder a small wire of similar size in place. Then re-apply some conformal coating.

Better option is to buy a new antenna, one that uses a balun instead of a PCB.

#8 sold

sold

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:14 AM

I've managed to fix it :blink:

Looking at the back of the PCB I would be convinced you have no connection between A and D.

But you state otherwise.

The connection between B and C looks ok, but you say this is open circuit?
The track from A to D looks burnt and scratched, is your antenna earthed? possible Earthing problem there.

When I held it up to the light both tracks appeared to be okay. However I did manage to find a very small break in the track from B to C.

Cheapest option is to fix it, find the open circuit using some back lighting and a magnifying lens if required, scrape off the conformal coating (green stuff) and solder a small wire of similar size in place. Then re-apply some conformal coating.

This is what I did, except that the gap was so small I just bridged it with solder. Anyway this appears to have done the trick as eveything is back to the way it was. Thank you very much for the help.

Better option is to buy a new antenna, one that uses a balun instead of a PCB.

If it dies again this is what I will do.

#9 Len

Len

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

All,
Follow the sequence below to determine what you need to do. This applies to new and existing installations, in which pixellates (picture breaks up into blocks) and the sound chirps)

1. Determine the most appropriate transmitter site
Most regions have a main transmitter and some translators. A translator converts the signal from one channel to another to prevent interference. They are of lower power than the main transmitter for the region. Translators are used to fill in a shadow area caused by the local terrain.
Click on SA to find you likely transmitter site(s)

Open on another screen ABC Transmitter List and select the state and your DTV transmitter. If present this will give you a coverage area map to determine which site is best for you.

If an antenna technician can provide evidence that there are no signals at your site, you can get the ABC, SBS, two commercial stations and some radio channels directly from a satellite. Go to the end of this post.

2. Determine the actual TV channels you wish to receive
Logical Channel Numbers are displayed on digital receivers. They are labels because for example the ABC in capital cities is transmitted on channel 2 analog but on channel 12 in digital. The receiver will display channel 2# because it is sent the channel number in the signal. The actual channel used is displayed in the installation menu and must be known to select suitable antenna equipment.
Using the spreadsheet above the present and future analog and digital transmitters are shown. The ones on air are in bold.

Note also if the digital channel number(s) are in blue. If so they are part of a Single Frequency Network (SFN). SFNs use the same channels for repeaters in the same viewing area. This will affect antenna selection.

3. Determine the polarisation
Using different polarisations allows transmitters on the same channel to be located closer together in distance.
The transmitter and receiving antenna must be parallel to each other so if the transmitting antenna is parallel to the ground so must your antenna. This is called horizontal polarisation. The other way to have it is vertical. Some sites use vertical for channels below channel 27 (VHF) and Horizontal above (UHF)
If the same polarisation is used for all channels it is unipolar H or V. If different polarisations are used it is called cross polarisation and there is a yes in the spreadsheet.

4. Select the antenna type
Unipolar
Band 3
Band 4
Band 4+
Band 5
Band 3 & 4
Band 3 & 4+
Band 3 & 5
Band 4 & 5
Cross polarised
Band 3 & 4+
Band 3 & 4+
Band 3 & 5
Band 3, 4 – 5
Caravans/Marine
Band 3, 4 - 5

Indoor Antennas

Digital TV will never use channels 0 – 5A. This is due to the problem of impulse noise from electrical switching and arcing. You can minimise this problem if you antenna is not designed for these channels. Channel 0 – 5A antennas are very wide and are more liable to get bird and wind damage as well.

The best antenna is one designed for the TV channels to be received in your area. This is because all of the metal work will get used. This gives greater sensitivity to the channels you want and less to the unwanted ones.

All analog channels within the antenna channel range will be receivable. To replace a single analog channel which is not receivable, read the following post
Using Digital Antennas in an Analog Environment

Cabling
It should be quad shielded RG6 with F connectors at any joins.
This is to minimise the pick up of electrical switching and TV signals other than picked up by the antenna.

Masthead amplifiers Should only be considered if the measured digital signals show there is too little signal. If that is not an option try the above techniques first.

Recognising interference
Better Television & Radio Reception

If you are having reception problems and are in one of the following suburbs;
Reynella, Christie Downs, Christies Beach, Hackham West, Hallet Cove, Lonsdale, Morphett Vale, Noarlunga Centre, Noralunga Downs, O’Halloran Hill, O’Sullivan Beach, Onkaparinga Hills, Port Noarlunga
Reynella East, Sheildow, Trott Park, Woodcroft. Please post in this strand.

Please note this is general information. Use an antenna installer who can measure digital signals (They should be able to give you Bit Error Rates (BER) figures of less than 1 in 10 000.) If they cannot do this, get someone else.

Apartments and retirement villages use Master Antenna TV systems (MATV)
These systems contain amplifiers for individual channels. In any non-digital installations you will generally find some digital channels are not receivable due to this filtering. Please read Apartment & Town Houses
Radio – FM, DAB and DRM
FM
None of the antennas listed above are designed to receive FM radio. The best way is to have an independent system Please read FM Antennas
DAB is digital radio. It will start on 1st January 2009 in major population centres. It will use band 3 most likely vertically polarised.

DRM is another type of digital radio which will replace AM radio and will not use any of the above equipment.

More Information
For TV Antenna Basics +
For Radio Thread

:D Please post any queries in this geographic viewer's forum

If an antenna technician can prove no TV signals are available, then a free to air satellite receiver is an option.
Stations available
ABC: Satellite programs generated in Adelaide
SBS: National programs ex Sydney
Impaja: (Nine & TEN networks) from Alice Springs
Seven Central: (Seven network) from Townsville

The programs are transmitted through the satellite in digital form, but in some towns are then retransmitted in analog. A home satellite receiver will receive the signal in digital, however there is none of the enhancements such as multi channel, wide screen etc.

Radio is also carried digitally, 5ABC Radio Regional ex Adelaide, 5ABC Radio National ex Adelaide, and commercials 4BRZ (Breeze), and 4RBL (Rebel FM) ex Beaudesert These signals are retransmitted in some towns on FM.

To obtain reception read the following link
Out of area reception

AlanH :P

:P Please post any queries in this geographic viewer's forum

:P Very informative article. Is there a listing of transmitter sites(locations) ? I live in Mount Gambier and need to know bearing for Mt Dundas if you can help please.
Thank you in anticipation. :blink: Len

#10 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,599 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Len,
It would have been better to have posted this in the SA regional viewers' forum.

If you click on the underlined SA it is a link to the list.
Mt Dundas Vic 110 km @ 69 °
Mt Burr SA 35 km @313 °
If you go to the Victorian Regional Viewers' forum, you will find another "Get the best reception". If you click on the underlined Vic you will get the list including Western Victoria.

Remember also that the main boom of a lot of antennas is steel and it gets magnetised. So separate a compass away from it.

Please post any further posts in the SA regional Viewers' forum. This is not the first request on this topic.

Alanh

#11 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:39 AM

who is the best antenna installer in Adelaide, think i need mine reviewed, pic quality is good but not fantastic

Let me know

#12 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

Stabbed,
Read Get the Best Reception, Adelaide and read the links.

For reliable digital reception do not use an antenna designed for band 1 & 2. Ie including ABC analog channel 2.

Select an antenna installer who can measure and write down the Bit Error Rate which should be better than 1 in 10 000. This means that the installer can measure digital signals correctly.

AlanH

#13 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

Stabbed,

For reliable digital reception do not use an antenna designed for band 1 & 2. Ie including ABC analog channel 2.

Select an antenna installer who can measure and write down the Bit Error Rate which should be better than 1 in 10 000. This means that the installer can measure digital signals correctly.

AlanH

super...who is the best or who is used in ADL

THX

Stabbed,

AlanH

great.

so who's the best in ADL.

#14 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,599 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

stabbed,
I do not live in Adelaide. Use the yellow pages and ask the Bit Error Measurement question. This will soon sort them out.

AlanH

#15 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

stabbed,
I do not live in Adelaide. Use the yellow pages and ask the Bit Error Measurement question. This will soon sort them out.

AlanH

ah yes. nice

#16 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

ah yes. nice

Getting the antenna looked at tomorrow [ninja]

please work all the time 7 DIGITAL

#17 Nat29

Nat29

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

Has anyone had trouble with the audio dropping out on ch9 SD and HD all other channels are fine, I have noticed lately that the audio will drop off and then come back on straight away. Please advise. Thanks.

#18 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

Has anyone had trouble with the audio dropping out on ch9 SD and HD all other channels are fine, I have noticed lately that the audio will drop off and then come back on straight away. Please advise. Thanks.

no mate. i'm close to the cbd and my issue is 7DIGITAL, dropped out [not completely] just a little pixy..

fark i hate 7

#19 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

Getting the antenna looked at tomorrow

What was the outcome?

#20 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

What was the outcome?

well channel 7 digital shat itself last night right as Heroes started.....the aerial/antenna guy has told me the strength i fine so i am at a loss...

he is a coming over again soon though [he has not ben paid yet]

the thing is during the day it's perfect and every other digital ch. is always perfect

#21 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:12 PM

well channel 7 digital shat itself last night right as Heroes started.....the aerial/antenna guy has told me the strength i fine so i am at a loss...

he is a coming over again soon though [he has not ben paid yet]

the thing is during the day it's perfect and every other digital ch. is always perfect

Ask the antenna guy for a written report on your reception, with digital channel power and channel BER, for each of your channels and post the figures here.

#22 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

Ask the antenna guy for a written report on your reception, with digital channel power and channel BER, for each of your channels and post the figures here.

okay will do.

however CH7 digital [all of them] are working tonite.

is this strange or just me :blink:

#23 Big Guns

Big Guns

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

I have a Strong SRT5390 on our second TV. It is connected to the same antenna as the main TV. It has worked fine with good reception for years. That is until recently.

Now we are getting pixelation and the sound popping that seems to characterise poor reception and indeed when checking the set that is what it is saying.

Inside the house the STB seems properly wired up as I did so originally so does this mean the STB has died or have I developed some problem in the roof somehow?

BTW our antenna is installed INSIDE our tiled roof but it has been like that for many many years now without any problems.

Location is Pooraka

#24 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

okay will do.

however CH7 digital [all of them] are working tonite.

is this strange or just me :blink:

No, it's not you.

Signals normally vary all the time.

What happens if the signal is on the minimum 'threshold' also known as the 'digital cliff edge' when they drop below that level or 'over the cliff edge' you lose reception.

This is why installers MUST allow for signal fluctuations by having sufficient signal level/quality in reserve.

I suspect this is what is happening in your case.

That's why I asked for a measurement report on your signal levels and quality, which will provide major clues as to why this is happening.

#25 310

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

No, it's not you.

Signals normally vary all the time.

What happens if the signal is on the minimum 'threshold' also known as the 'digital cliff edge' when they drop below that level or 'over the cliff edge' you lose reception.

This is why installers MUST allow for signal fluctuations by having sufficient signal level/quality in reserve.

I suspect this is what is happening in your case.

That's why I asked for a measurement report on your signal levels and quality, which will provide major clues as to why this is happening.

antenna guy hasn't telephoned again..... :blink: and the reception has been flawless, so i will wait as i haven't paid either.

dan.