#301 brucethebear

brucethebear

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for a very informative thread.
I just bought my Inlaws a 32" Series 4 Samsung LCD to replace an old Panasonic CRT running a Teac STB.

Several weeks back, I replaced the antenna (broken elements) with an LP34F from NAS.
This fixed all issues (especially ABC) - which was blocky and pixilated to the point of being unwatchable.
All cable is RG6 with F connectors. Flyleads are also RG6.

When I replaced the TV and did a scan, it picked up all channels, but will not display the ABC, and ch 10 is also blocky.
When I look at the signal strength (I understand it is a guide only) it is giving me strength of about 95%. However - the bit-rate error is very high.
After a little while, the ABC picture will appear, but is blocky and frozen.

If I plug back in the Teac STB, (using the STB tuner) I get all channels fine again :/ :o

The house is at Springwood.

Any thoughts?

Btb

#302 MyHD

MyHD

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

My problem with 7 is back too after only 2 days - signal strength is too bad ... don't know if changing antenna or setting it higher would help

#303 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for a very informative thread.
I just bought my Inlaws a 32" Series 4 Samsung LCD to replace an old Panasonic CRT running a Teac STB.

Several weeks back, I replaced the antenna (broken elements) with an LP34F from NAS.
This fixed all issues (especially ABC) - which was blocky and pixilated to the point of being unwatchable.
All cable is RG6 with F connectors. Flyleads are also RG6.

When I replaced the TV and did a scan, it picked up all channels, but will not display the ABC, and ch 10 is also blocky.
When I look at the signal strength (I understand it is a guide only) it is giving me strength of about 95%. However - the bit-rate error is very high.
After a little while, the ABC picture will appear, but is blocky and frozen.

If I plug back in the Teac STB, (using the STB tuner) I get all channels fine again :/ :o

The house is at Springwood.

Any thoughts?

Btb

Hi Btb,

It is not uncommon for a Set Top Box to work where a TV is having problems when the signal Quality is poor, and in some areas it can be the most
cost effective solution for some people.
The big question is what is your signal QUALITY like on all your channels and how much level do you have above drop out 'cliff edge' on each channel
to allow for rain fade, wind and day/night temperature changes etc.
When you replaced the antenna it may have got you some more signal quality on the day, but not enough margin to work all the time on all channels.
Without a Digital Signal Meter that shows BER/ MER , uncorrected errors etc (QUALITY) as well as Channel Power you are pushing poo poo up hill with stick.
Unless there is something obvious or mechanical wrong in your system there is not much the DIY can do, i.e. you have checked your cables and
replaced the broken antenna .
Also it's possible for the signals in some cases to be too strong and have overloading quality issues.
If an antenna installer is doing the job he can tell with his meter whether it is a antenna type problem or a location/height problem and he can check
the signal strength and quality margin on all channels one by one as he goes. Without a meter it is all trial and error as you have found so far which can
workout more expensive than getting an installer to sort it.
What made you use the LP34F are they common in your street ? you may need more aluminium in the sky!!
A local installer may have read your post by now and can throw some light on the subject !
Cheers Tazzy

#304 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Bruce the bear,
You may find the new TV is more sensitive than the TEAC STB. If this is the case, the TV may be overloaded. You can get an attenuator from NAS and try that.

The best option is to Type in your exact address The click on an endorsed installer for a name and address. All of these installers have to have a digital field strength meter to solve your problem.

AlanH

#305 brucethebear

brucethebear

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hi Btb,

The big question is what is your signal QUALITY like on all your channels and how much level do you have above drop out 'cliff edge' on each channel
to allow for rain fade, wind and day/night temperature changes etc.
When you replaced the antenna it may have got you some more signal quality on the day, but not enough margin to work all the time on all channels.
Without a Digital Signal Meter that shows BER/ MER , uncorrected errors etc (QUALITY) as well as Channel Power you are pushing poo poo up hill with stick.
What made you use the LP34F are they common in your street ? you may need more aluminium in the sky!!
Cheers Tazzy

Thanks for your reply Tazzy and Alan,

The signal quality on all other channels is very good. There was about 4 weeks between replacing the antenna and replacing the TV.
From all reports, reception had improved remarkably on the bad channels since the antenna was replaced.

My original thoughts were that the signal is coming in too hot, but couldn't understand why the STB was able to handle it.
I bought the LP34F, as it was the recommendation from NAS.

I will try out your attenuator idea Alan. Would I need to get something sloped, as I am only having problems with ABC and 10?

Thanks again for your responses.

BtB

#306 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for your reply Tazzy and Alan,

The signal quality on all other channels is very good. There was about 4 weeks between replacing the antenna and replacing the TV.
From all reports, reception had improved remarkably on the bad channels since the antenna was replaced.

My original thoughts were that the signal is coming in too hot, but couldn't understand why the STB was able to handle it.
I bought the LP34F, as it was the recommendation from NAS.

I will try out your attenuator idea Alan. Would I need to get something sloped, as I am only having problems with ABC and 10?

Thanks again for your responses.

BtB

Too strong a signal is certainly something to consider among other possible problems causing the pixelation etc.

'F' type in line attenuators are available in fixed values of 3db,6db, 10db and 20db commonly . Also variable ones from say 0db up to 20db are available

from the antenna supplier over the counter probably depending on demand I guess. Jaycar and Dick Smith have them as well but I'm not sure if there

'F' type, I don't have current 'cattledogs' for either shops.

Have you tried marking the current antenna position on the mast and lowering it and/or turning it a few degrees left or right while someone is watching

a pixelating channel to see if it will lock onto the signal ? .You may get lucky and drop the signal enough without affecting the other channels,if signal

overload is the problem that is.
Tazzy

#307 Greazy

Greazy

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Rental unit in norman park brisbane no sbs or abc. Organising a tech as we speak and have made an account on here aswell. Thanks for the very informative thread.

#308 java

java

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

All,

Analog TV switchoffs are;
Brisbane 28th May 2013

A "Designed for Digital" antenna should not be able to receive ABC1 analog if your antenna is pointed at Mt Coot-tha. This excludes Boonah, Esk, Kooralbyn, Maroon, Mount Alford, Rathdowney, Somerset Dam and Toogoolawah.

With the exception of those viewers in Boonah, Esk, Kooralbyn, Maroon, Mount Alford, Rathdowney, Somerset Dam and Toogoolawah, from 2013/2014 the following channels will be used
TVQ 1# is using RF channel 11
ABQ 2# is using RF channel 12
SBS 3# will use RF channel 7
CTQ 44 will use RF channel ?
BTQ 7# is using RF channel 6
QTQ 9# is using RF channel 8

H3 type antenna is all that will be required for channels 6 - 12. This will be the cheapest antenna because no UHF or band 1 and 2 is not required. It will also mean that all the antenna is sensitive to the cnannels you wish to receive.

Signal Sources

Terrestrial
broadcast transmission needs a TV antenna designed to cover only the radio frequency channels used by the transmitters on your local transmitter site.

Satellite broadcasting need a "Ku" band antenna dish for Australian broadcasting (Pay and Free to air). All domestic systems are encrypted.

Internet provides the user requested program downloads from ISPs or program providers.

Disc replay Blu-ray and Digital Video Discs are not covered here

All digital transmission systems will either faithfully reproduce what is being sent, the pictures will breakup into blocks with sound going on and off or a frozen image and silence. The frozen image can be replaced with a "no signal" sign. This is often called the digital cliff and can occur if the signal is too weak or too strong. Other than this the antenna system does not affect picture or sound quality. High Definition and Standard Definition signals share the same transmitted signal.

Obtaining broadcast signals.

Determine the most likely source
1. Type your exact street address.

I tried click on Type your exact street address. but page not found

Can explain please what antenna for Comet street Runcorn? Is H3 type antenna?

( antenna on roof rusty and brocken )

#309 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,779 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Alan's post is old, hasn't been updated properly, and Alan is not an antenna installer.

Neither am I, by the way - which is why I'm going to recommend the following, not dictate what you need to do like Alan does.
  • Check the MySwitch website to determine your expected signal level (Runcorn should be well inside the strong signal area)
  • Start a new discussion here and ask for an installer recommendation - IIRC there are a few professional installers here in Brisbane (whereas Alan is in Perth)
  • Realise that a "H3 type" antenna won't properly receive UHF signals - which means you wont be able to receive SBS until after the cutover date (May 28), and prevent you from receiving the community channel Bris31 for the forseeable future (Alan believes this will be soon after cutover; everybody else including the government, the regulator, and Bris31 disagrees). When you find a reputable installer, discuss your exact requirements with them
  • Jim's, Mr. Antenna, etc., are not particularly reputable installers - some individual franchisees may indeed be good, but many aren't.

#310 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

(wrong thread, pls delete)

Edited by Smacca, 25 March 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#311 dbrmuz

dbrmuz

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

(wrong thread, pls delete)

Please keep,as this post by Smacca is approximately 500,000 times more insightful and helpful than anything the DTV Trolling Sock Puppet has ever posted.

On that subject,I'm thinking of starting a Hughsey Lovefest Thread.I reckon it'll do at least as well as the last.Any interest?

#312 java

java

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Alan's post is old, hasn't been updated properly, and Alan is not an antenna installer.

Neither am I, by the way - which is why I'm going to recommend the following, not dictate what you need to do like Alan does.

• Check the MySwitch website to determine your expected signal level (Runcorn should be well inside the strong signal area)

thankyou. myswitch website say good coverage. and listed endorsed installers. and combnation uhf vhf. dick smith have uhf/vhf outdoor for $59.99 maybe good. thanks very much. ( contact nearby installer. get quote )

To get picture of antenna for myswitch address is using >>>more coverage information>>>antenna setup guide

see picture under

Recommended antenna setup for your location:

Posted Image Gain Low Polarisation Horizontal Amplifier No Type Combination UHF VHF antenna Height Roof height

Edited by java, 26 March 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#313 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,779 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

I would say do not pick any antenna from Dick Smith - all their suitable outdoor antennas also cover the old analogue TV frequencies, which can cause problems with digital TV. Some parts of Runcorn are affected by electrical noise from the railway line - not your area, but there are also several other sources of noise around there and between you and the transmitter, as well as possible shadowing & relection problems in your specific area.

There's also the antenna cable to think of - if the old antenna is "rusty and broken", how will the cable be?

As I said, at the very least ask an installer here to recommend an antenna. Ideally, get a proper installer to supply and fit it.

#314 java

java

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I would say do not pick any antenna from Dick Smith - all their suitable outdoor antennas also cover the old analogue TV frequencies, which can cause problems with digital TV. Some parts of Runcorn are affected by electrical noise from the railway line - not your area, but there are also several other sources of noise around there and between you and the transmitter, as well as possible shadowing & relection problems in your specific area.

Canot how to attach picture anyway antenna now install. Works good like old one before storm.

Installer say:
noone ask question about band 3 vhf. just want antenna. if not install antenna with channel 2 analogue then maybe get complaint. maybe more customer want new style antenna after shutdown analog. only use old style now

( new antenna old style vhf uhf combo include abc channel 2 analogue available. but never watch it always use dgital picture! )

#315 ozynigma

ozynigma

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hi all,

I live in Underwood south of Brisbane and until about a week ago I had good reception on all digital free to air stations.

Now I cannot watch SBS. The tuner reports "No Signal" and the picture only appears occasionally and usually very pixelated with no continuity.

My antenna is on a two story house with nothing blocking immediate line of sight.

Before I go looking for broken equipment is there anything that has changed recently that could affect the SBS signal strength?

Thanks.

#316 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

oznigma,
Don't bother, SBS will start transmission on channel 7 on 28th may at around 11 Am.
You will need to do a rescan afer that time

AlanH

#317 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi all,

I live in Underwood south of Brisbane and until about a week ago I had good reception on all digital free to air stations.

Now I cannot watch SBS. The tuner reports "No Signal" and the picture only appears occasionally and usually very pixelated with no continuity.

My antenna is on a two story house with nothing blocking immediate line of sight.

Before I go looking for broken equipment is there anything that has changed recently that could affect the SBS signal strength?

Thanks.

Hello Ozynigma

SBS is operating normally and at full power and signals at Underwood are generally excellent, the odds are something has failed in your receive system. Even though your other channels may be fine this does not mean the problem is not with your system.

James

#318 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

oznigma,
Don't bother, SBS will start transmission on channel 7 on 28th may at around 11 Am.
You will need to do a rescan afer that time

AlanH

Dear reader

AlanH sadly remains the provider of inaccurate information on this forum, mainly because although he undoubtedly can read, he is unable to comprehend.

SBS will certainly commence simulcasting their channel 36 transmission on the newly vacant channel 7 at around lunch time on 28th May 2013 however the original SBS-36 will continue operation until 27th June.
In essence, the advice of AlanH not to bother is typically foolish. The general public will not need to rescan on 28th May as stated by the inept AlanH, everyone has a full month to rescan for SBS on channel 7 before the existing SBS service ceases from the Brisbane transmitter.
Please note those receiving SBS from the Gold or Sunshine Coast transmitters will either not be affected or in fact have a marginally more robust reception.

AlanH is a master poster on this forum, he is however unconnected with any television broadcaster or service provider in this country and his advice is generally flawed.

James

#319 Mr Flibble

Mr Flibble

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Has anybody been able to tune the new "Brisbane South East" frequencies yet? The myswitch site says it comes online today but I'm getting nothing at all. I have a vertically polarised UHF antenna with line of site <5km from the new tower.

#320 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,412 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have a vertically polarised UHF antenna with line of site <5km from the new tower.

I see there is now a message on myswitch re "Brisbane South-East" (transmission site Qld Comm Site DARLINGTON RANGE):

Broadcasters have indicated that new digital TV transmitters will be established at this site, starting on 28 May 2013. Please also check the 'Available Transmitters' area above the map in mySwitch for existing digital TV services that may be available in your area.

Services were originally expected to commence from this site on 27 May 2013. However, technical issues on site have delayed commencement. Broadcasters have advised that the work will resume on site on the morning of Tuesday 28 May 2013.

For Brisbane generally, according to myswitch (http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/):
  • The "switchover date" is 28 May (i.e. tomorrow)
  • The "retune date" is 27/6/2013 (i.e. a month away)

Edited by MLXXX, 27 May 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#321 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Has anybody been able to tune the new "Brisbane South East" frequencies yet? The myswitch site says it comes online today but I'm getting nothing at all. I have a vertically polarised UHF antenna with line of site <5km from the new tower.

Mr Flibble

You'll find there's value in trying again tomorrow night and yes it is vertical polarity.
ACMA call it Optus Site Wolfdene Via Cliff Baron Rd Wolffdene Latitude -27 47 24 Longitude 153 12 43 but correctly spelt it is Cliff Barrons Road.

May I ask very roughly where you are, where you presently receive TV from and its quality.
Very interested in those anticipating the start of these new services.
This site has the potential to become very important with its wide coverage area.

James

#322 Mr Flibble

Mr Flibble

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

[/font][/color]
........ Services were originally expected to commence from this site on 27 May 2013. However, technical issues on site have delayed commencement. Broadcasters have advised that the work will resume on site on the morning of Tuesday 28 May 2013. .....

Yes, I see the message regarding the delay now. I'm pretty sure that wasn't there around 5:30 last night but I could have been having a 'blind' moment! Cheers.

Mr Flibble

You'll find there's value in trying again tomorrow night and yes it is vertical polarity.
ACMA call it Optus Site Wolfdene Via Cliff Baron Rd Wolffdene Latitude -27 47 24 Longitude 153 12 43 but correctly spelt it is Cliff Barrons Road.

May I ask very roughly where you are, where you presently receive TV from and its quality.
Very interested in those anticipating the start of these new services.
This site has the potential to become very important with its wide coverage area.

James

I'm at Ormeau. Unfortunately we are right in the middle of a dead spot with variable coverage from both Brisbane & the Gold Coast transmitters. I imagine this is exactly why the new transmitter has been put here as there is quite a bit of new development happening in the area too.
We currently get our service from Brisbane (Mt Cootha) but need a masthead amp or we get nothing. Even then it freezes up or drops out occasionally. Many of the neighbours have dual antennas, one pointing at Mt Cootha & a high gain UHF one pointing to the Gold Coast. Lots of satellite dishes around too.
I'll try again tonight & report back.

#323 Mr Flibble

Mr Flibble

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Delayed again!

From the myswitch site...
"New digital TV site delayed owing to weather conditions. Services are now expected to commence 29 May 2013."

#324 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Delayed again!

From the myswitch site...
"New digital TV site delayed owing to weather conditions. Services are now expected to commence 29 May 2013."

Yes that is true.

James

#325 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,412 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

The new frequency for SBS (184.5MHz) suits us. At our inner city location there is tree foliage that interferes with line of sight reception of Mt Coot-tha. Reception has improved from 70% strength and 60% quality (on the old 585.5MHz) to 99% strength and 91% quality. (These readings were provided by a Strong PVR.)

Full rescans have resulted in no duplications of SBS. The rescans selected the new VHF frequency for SBS and ignored the old UHF frequency for SBS still being transmitted. (This was with a Strong SRT 5435 PVR, and a Panasonic VT20 plasma TV.)